bh weight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

beisch

bh weight

Post by beisch »

I am new to cross bows and need some advice, i have a exomag,fff string,excaliber arrows.i have 6 125 grain vortex broad heads i was going to try to hunt with.they fly great at 20 to 25 yards,but at the 30 yard chevron(lumilight scope)it shoots high,same at 40.I have the power speed ring up all the way to 350,so my easy fix is now the 30 yard chevron is now 35,40 is 45,it seems to work but would i be better off adding brass inserts to arrows so i would have some adj.and possibly better accuracy?or how about going back to original string that came on bow,supposed to be slower,so i would have some adj. on ring
any and all advice is appreciated
thanks
bob1961

Re: bh weight

Post by bob1961 »

unless your arrows are flying at 350fps turn down that ring to bout 300 and shoot more arrows....that ring needs to be tuned to the arrows speed....site the cross hairs at 20 yds if you have not yet....put speed ring on 300 and shoot at 30, 40, 50 yds to see where the arrows hit....not sure if they hit high you need to go to the lower numbers on the speed ring or vise versa....once i had my weight arrows in tune with that speed ring on the scope i never had to touch it ever....just rmember when you get it set that you remember where you put it on what number :wink: ....try that and post back........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
beisch

Post by beisch »

i did at 20 tards they were on target ,they were high at 30,40 yards .my thinking is if i turn down speede ring its going to loft arrows higher to get to target,howmany grains are your brass inserts ,and how do you gety old inserts out of carbon arrows ?hot water?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I boil carbon arrows fer 10 to 15 mni & try to twist them out using field pt. If'rn it don't twist out 1st time let them boil some more. I have even had to let them set & cool & many times it makes the glue break loose. What is the weight of yer arrows now ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

beisch wrote:i did at 20 tards they were on target ,they were high at 30,40 yards .my thinking is if i turn down speede ring its going to loft arrows higher to get to target,howmany grains are your brass inserts ,and how do you gety old inserts out of carbon arrows ?hot water?
You zero in your scope at 20 yards, not using the speed ring. Then back out to 30 yards. At 30 yards, you only use your speed ring to adjust for high/low. Once you get the scope zero'd at 30, then the rest will be correct. At 20 yards, you can put your speed ring anywhere . . . .it will still be zero'd because the center crosshairs do not move.

Make sure you use a range finder to mark your 20, 30, and 40 yard targets . . .bad markers at a range can throw you off.

Is it equally high at 30 and 40?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
beisch

Post by beisch »

i have the firebolts that came with the package,then bought 6 more of the same according to excal arrow selection those arrows with 100 grain heads weigh 367 i am shooting 125g so 392grain.i understand how the scope works i was equally high at 30 and 40.so i shot 35 and 45 and it was good, i could hit a 6 in circle.i dont know if that is good for a cross bow
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

My vixen shoots easy 2" groups at 50 yds. I have my xhair set shooting at 20 yds. Then my varizone speed ring fer my arrow weight is at 260/265 fps area. Don't knowed why yer scope be shooting that hight at those ranges i just adjust my ring til its shooting right at 50. It shoots min of deer or 3-D targets from 10 to 50 yds. If'en i want to shoot dimes size dots at 30 i just put on my other varible scope i can see smaller things wid
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

beisch wrote:i have the firebolts that came with the package,then bought 6 more of the same according to excal arrow selection those arrows with 100 grain heads weigh 367 i am shooting 125g so 392grain.i understand how the scope works i was equally high at 30 and 40.so i shot 35 and 45 and it was good, i could hit a 6 in circle.i dont know if that is good for a cross bow

The only time I have had that happen . . .I marked my yardage off wrong. That's why I suggested using a rangefinder. Being equally high at 30 and 40 suggests that your 20 yard zero is wrong, your yardage is off or your scope is off. I would start with making sure your yardage is correct at 20, 30 and 40. Then start over with the 20 yard zero. If that doesn't work, then trade in the scope.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

My take. Exomag, not Exomax means he can't be getting 350 fps = bad 20 yd zero, bad range, or bad scope.

Does the poi stay the same w/ field points? Good luck, bud!
"Eze 18:21"
beisch

Post by beisch »

thanks for advice i am going to start all over and see what happens,i think it is the scope.i used a range finder
wabi

Post by wabi »

I would sight in and adjust the power (speed ring) using field points that weigh the same as the broadheads I intend to use.
Once sighted in and shooting good groups at all ranges - then try the broadheads.

If you can't get sighted in for all ranges with the field points, but are shooting good groups I'd say it's probably the scope.
If you can get sighted in with field points, but not with broadheads it's probably the broadheads.

I have had broadheads that did hit higher than field points of the same weight in the past. It could be caused by several things, but the easiest thing to change is the broadhead if it's the problem. :wink:
wabi