13 days of hunting season gone

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

13 days of hunting season gone

Post by crazyfarmer »

This is what seperates antler addicts from your normal guy.. 13 days of passing decent bucks with nothing to show for it. Most would pull the trigger on the first decent buck that walks by at this point. But knowing, just knowing, whats in the woods lurking after dark. What could venture by at any minute or second of last light. You cant describe it. But it eats and eats at you. Its nothing like it! Then the moment comes where he's in front of you at 20 yards or less. All those days of waiting are finally right here for the taking. Hopefully one of those days is this week. No luck here yet. Just small bucks are all that seem to be roaming right now. The past few days all movement is right after dark. The bigger bucks are visting scrapes in total darkness. 12-1am is a hot time on camera.

good luck to everyone this week.. things should be getting better for everyone. I know some jerky will be made this week on my end since hunger has set in for a tender doe or 2;)
vixenmaster

Re: 13 days of hunting season gone

Post by vixenmaster »

Yup thats what separates us meat eaters from the big Rack hunters. I enjoy wrapping my lips around fresh tenderloins n rice wid onions & garlic just like i did yesterday, :lol: I have passed on all the spikes & other small antlered deer only because there was another that got into my scope's x-hairs 1st :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

CF;

Things here in Arkansas are just terrible for now; season opened October 1 and has been the hottest and most dry year on record here; we only have had 2.4 inches of rain since May 27; temps are still in the 80's and no relief in sight; deer are ONLY moving at night with some good bucks on my trail camera; we are 13 inches behind on rainfall for this time of year; please pray for our area as we are desperate for rain;

As for me, have not killed or had a chance to kill a deer yet; will kill the first thing that steps out for a shot as my freezer is completely empty; then I hope to hold out for those good bucks that are appearing on the trail camera; good luck to you and all others and hopefully things will change for us soon; thanks to all for your prayers;
wabi

Post by wabi »

vixenmaster wrote:Yup thats what separates us meat eaters from the big Rack hunters. I enjoy wrapping my lips around fresh tenderloins n rice wid onions & garlic just like i did yesterday, :lol: I have passed on all the spikes & other small antlered deer only because there was another that got into my scope's x-hairs 1st :lol:
Yep,
Antler soup really isn't very good -

But a sandwich made with an unfilled tag is even less tasty. :lol:

Just kidding CF. :wink:
I'm not putting down those who hunt for trophy antlers, just saying we can't all put in the time & effort necessary to go after a specific animal.
I've got to the point I let the little spikes & 4 points walk, but about any decent 6 point (or bigger) that gets too close in in real danger. :twisted:
Besides, I'll get up close & personal with a lot more big bucks now that I've killed my one buck allowed for this season. :oops:
It's still fun to watch them even if I can't shoot. :D
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Back in the days of one tag . . .I know a few places out there, they still only get one tag . . .anyway, if you only have one tag and kill the first thing you see, then the season is over.

On the other side of that, we only had two weeks to make the kill.

CF . . .you were too little to remember those days in VA. Very few deer.

It was a constant struggle . . .and typically, shoot the first thing I saw won the battle. Bragging rights back then was, "I got one".

We are very spoiled with the amount of deer out there today in most areas.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i have one antlered tag and one antlerless tag so i have don't want to go out til november till...may sneak out for a sit or 2 before then
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

sumner4991 wrote: We are very spoiled with the amount of deer out there today in most areas.
Boy isn't that the truth! :!:

One of the places I currently hunt is some ground I grew up on. It's river bottom land broken up by the occasional cow pasture. I can remember finding a deer track once when I was trapping and it was big news at school that week!

And geez, if you did manage to kill a deer back then, it was instant Rock Star status 8)

It's amazing what it takes to turn heads these days....*sigh* it's a tough job but someone has to do it!!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

Keep at it crazyfarmer.

Persistence is gonna pay off.
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

sumner4991 wrote: We are very spoiled with the amount of deer out there today in most areas.
Tell me about it, where I hunt I am allowed 7 tags for the season.
If i'm not hunting i'm fishing, and if i'm not fishing i'm wishing.
robbyc

Post by robbyc »

hey guys, atleast you gents have seen some deer . i have gone about 6 times so far and havnt seen a deer :( dont worry i havnt given up, the large sized trackes i have been finding keep me motivated..
good luck to everyone this week and up coming weekend..
robbyc
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

bstout wrote:I was a hardcore trophy hunter for many years and I've got many nice racks to show for it.

I also have a buck registered in the Pope & Young record book.

It actually scored 141 6/8ths.

As we get older our priorities change along with our bodies. This translates to....even if I could do it again, I don't care to, I'm referring to die-hard trophy hunt only.

The only way I'm drillin' a big buck is if he strolls on by when I'm sitting there. Would I be happy? You bet! Would I be ecstatic?

No! :D

my problem is the older I get the more picky I get. I let bucks most would drop in a heartbeat walk. I think I'm losing my mind LOL. Had 2 good bucks today right under the stand. One 18inch 6 got a little hotheaded when I kept wheezing at him. I had to stay in the stand 45 mins after dark since he kept circling me looking, rubbing, and scraping. Its a thrill everyday to be out there. I really enjoy seeing the deer rather than taking them now. Everyday is a new show. Doesnt matter if I see mossy antlers or not. The doe can enjoy their eating right now. When the dogs hit the woods quite a few will fill the freezer.
roly

Post by roly »

I am being picky also,

I have one buck tag for all of archery season,
controlled hunt and muzzel loader season

As long as I have the tag in my pocket,I get to go out and sit in the stands
and at least watch deer.
And I hope that if to-day is the end of my season
I get a chance at a good one