Plenty of deer, not much antler

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Plenty of deer, not much antler

Post by DuckHunt »

I've had a blast so far this archery season. I've had deer in bow range every day. The last three hunts have been great and I haven't even taken a shot at a deer. Yesterday I had two bucks pass within 15 yards while I was sitting on a log. They might have scored an honest 10" on the B&C scale. Definitely not more than 12". :lol: I took a 5pt last week as a meat buck. I've got an unlimited supply of doe tags and plenty of targets but we only get 3 buck tags. I have two left and I want to make them count.

I'm seeing deer. I'm even seeing bucks. I'm just not seeing anything of quality at all. I did see a small 7pt with maybe a 12" spread last week. That is the biggest I've seen. I know there are some decent bucks out there, but I'm sure not seeing them yet. I've seen the small ones spar a little, but nothing is reacting to a grunt call.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
crazyfarmer

Re: Plenty of deer, not much antler

Post by crazyfarmer »

8-9pm and 12-1am are the times they are moving right now.. Im seeing decent racks. 16-20inch stuff which are good bucks but 2.5 year olds. I have to much hunting ahead to tag on a lesser buck for myself. They are running mad here right now. Snort wheezing really gets the UPSET!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I see the same few deer every now & again. I am not getting much time to hunt its a repeat of last yr with all the honey do's that never end
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

I inspect gas transmission lines for my job so I am out in the bush every day here in west Texas. I see all manner of crtitters from deer to bobcats to javalina and everything in between. Our bucks are just layin around gettin fat and eaten akerns and arnt even sparrin with each other yet. I think the rut is not going to get in gear here until mid december at the earliest.