2010 archery moose trip

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Petersen

Re: 2010 archery moose trip

Post by Petersen »

Removd the two pictures . Didn't mean to offend anyone .
We were told it was a logging road .

Thanks for your observations and concerns .
Wouldn't be hunting...if you got them all the time!
Lakelover

Post by Lakelover »

Blue Walleye? Can't say I ever heard of such a critter.

Is that some local species?
Axiom

They used to call me cheap, now I'm eco friendly!
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

Blue walleye are extinct so this would be walleye (yellow pickeral). The two in the pic would be the same fish I was told. I have those a hour north of Kingston in two lakes along with Northern pike looking the same. I was told it had to do with thier enviroment that they choose to live in. I wish I had a pic of the pike it's very cool looking.
If i'm not hunting i'm fishing, and if i'm not fishing i'm wishing.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Bloody hell Petersen ! ....

Get your facts straight ! , Blue Pickerel / Yellow Pickerel / Pike / Walleye etc. etc . ! :wink:

By the way ... before you pulled the pic's of your Uncle Mike on the logging road , I noticed his right boot was untied ! :lol: :lol:
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Thunder

Post by Thunder »

RJ: You seem to twist my post into some kind of personal attack. It wasn't. FYI I DID consider PM, but the purpose of my post was e d u c a t i o n for members and to make a suggestion (wisely followed) to the poster. Contrary to your response, I did 'pick up' on the nice photos - they brought back some great memories of time spent in that area.
You are incorrect about the road: it appeared to be a main forest access or haul road which sees a grader from time to time. =Maintained for travel.
The locals are also incorrect for the above reason. The FWCRA set fine for discharging a gun on a road of this type is $200+surcharge. You'd likely forfeit the weapon until the fine is paid. If the locals said night hunting was OK would you participate? Of course not.
In Northern Ontario as well as the south, there are always those who bend or break the rules - some are caught some not. Be prepared for consequences if you are.

Shooting from or across a road right-of-way is a safety issue (recall your Hunter Safety Course?)
Not all grouse 'popping' is done with a shotgun. Many use .22 rifles up here and some braindead idiots even high-powered weapons (I've witnessed this). Picture in your mind, an individual shooting at a bird down the centre of a road with a rifle as you crest a rise in the centre of the road downrange on foot, in your vehicle or on an ATV, as a round skips toward you? A scary image - hence the legislation. Safety.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I have made a questionable post once or twice on this forum and I really appreciated the fact that someone was looking out for me, and the chose to do so with a pm. Great pics Peterson, I hope you share any future hunts/pictures here.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Petersen

Post by Petersen »

I am not going to lie to you, this has left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe I'll save my pics and stories for the blind from now on :? .

Unfortunately I don't have a local game warden and a biologist who can edit my pics before I post them :wink:

Good luck in the rest of the season guys and gals....

I think I'll focus more of my time in the field rather than on the computer.
Please let this post die out....its not worth debating over.
Wouldn't be hunting...if you got them all the time!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thunder .... You bore me ...

Man , I would never known all that rule and hunter safety stuff if you hadn't posted it ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bottom line ... Petersen wanted to share his outdoor adventure with the forum with some nice pictures , and you made a point of " picking arse " over something that " you " felt was wrong .... you were not there , so don't asume you know !

Can't believe I even stooped to respond !

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Nothing wrong with what Thunder pointed out. Maybe it could have been worded a little different. A pm would have been better, but, not as educational.

This is an issue we as forum members have dealt with in the past. Remember the forum member that had local wardens show up questioning him about his buck kills? Another forum member apparently ratted on him. At least Thunder didn't do that.

We do need to check out the local hunting regulations. We do need to be aware of the pictures we are posting.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Yep you are right sumner , my fault ... shouldn't have replied .
I'm guessing Thunder is a GW or CO anyway , that's why he is so interested , and wants to impress us with his knowledge ( or interpretation of the rules )

It's stuff like ...
purpose of my post was e d u c a t i o n for members and to make a suggestion (wisely followed) to the poster.
Like we need an education ? :lol: :lol:

And ...
it appeared to be a main forest access or haul road
Key Point = " Appeared " = basing his observation on assumtion , not fact ?

And ...
The locals are also incorrect for the above reason.
Thunder must be an authority in that area , I guess ? ... Wouldn't want to take the word of someone that lives there ! :lol: :lol:

And ...
If the locals said night hunting was OK would you participate? Of course not.
No really ! :roll: :roll: :lol: GAFYS

And...
Picture in your mind, an individual shooting at a bird down the centre of a road
Can't picture that ... never condoned that ... although , I have seen many hunt , even run dogs for grouse and pheasant along the shoulder of the road ,( inside the 8 meter mark ) at many heavy patrolled areas like Hullet Marsh , Luther Marsh , Conestoga Lake , Pelee Island etc.

You would have to be pretty slow to shoot down the center of any roadway ( maintained or otherwise ) ... not knowing your background , is dangerous in any case .

And ...
Not all grouse 'popping' is done with a shotgun. Many use .22 rifles up here and some braindead idiots even high-powered weapons (I've witnessed this).
Wonder if he reported / arrest them , or just send them a clever e-mail ! :roll:

Sorry ... Petersen , I should have let it die off , but Thunder came across as an anal individual that was missing the the overall picture of your post .

Hope it doesn't scare you off ... Please continue to share your photo documented stories on this forum .
Last edited by R.J. on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

oneshotscott wrote :
WHAT THIS FORUM NEEDS IS MORE COWBELL!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: No there's a classic pop culture catchphrase ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

" Gotta have more cowbell baby " !
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Too bad such a nice thread had to go south. I don't get to places like that and I thoroughly enjoy when people post the stories and pictures. Thunder is Absolutely not a CO, a canadian CO would never refer to a firearm as a "weapon", as he did many times during his "holier than thou" post.
We need more threads like this one, not less.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
RAGS

Post by RAGS »

Well, well, well. An intersting thread. As with all text based messages, it is easy to read too much or too little into them - at least the emoticons help!
I was bow hunting moose in Thunder's neck of the woods (NW of T Bay) in September for a couple of weeks and observed some action that might be well shared. We were camped on a lake system just off of a rough logging road (barely maintained). I heard a couple of shots, then some silence, then some voices so I wandered up to check on the action. What I saw when I got up to the road was a guy being charged for shooting on the road (he was "popping grouse") and also charged for not wearing a helmet - he was using a side by side quad. He was also not wearing hunter orange.
I guess after reading this whole post twice, what I want to point out is - great pix Petersen - it sure is a nice area, thanks Thunder for giving us all a gentle reminder to be aware of the regs and our surroundings and R.J. you need to chill a bit - take an honest look at the intention of the post and check out the emoticons used in the post! PM's are great for a "behind the scenes chat" but I am glad that we all had a chance to be reminded to be careful!
As a side note, a friend of mine is a CO in the Barrie office and has mentioned to me that they do on occasion view forums related to hunting for any obvious infractions. He did not mention which forums and I didn't ask.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Yesterday I had lunch with a friend, she told me in the last two years they have found 8 headless deer on their property, I wonder if that number could have been less if your "friend" was in his truck instead of surfing internet forums? I do know that the guys who did that aren't anywhere on the internet posting about it.
An internet story can not determine the guilt of a person, it may lead to an investigation, but by no means is an admission of guilt. If I got bored one day and told a story about shooting a giraffe in my backyard it is not likely that information will be used to prosecute me.
Peterson and the people he hunts with have an outstanding reputation in the hunting field, it was pretty obvious that some were not willing to let that get tarnished.
Our Ontario C.O's are spread so thin right now it is Scary, then to find out that they are using what little time they have to surf the internet turns my stomach, the real poachers and menaces to our environment are not posting on internet forums.
RAGS wrote:Well, well, well. An intersting thread. As with all text based messages, it is easy to read too much or too little into them - at least the emoticons help!
I was bow hunting moose in Thunder's neck of the woods (NW of T Bay) in September for a couple of weeks and observed some action that might be well shared. We were camped on a lake system just off of a rough logging road (barely maintained). I heard a couple of shots, then some silence, then some voices so I wandered up to check on the action. What I saw when I got up to the road was a guy being charged for shooting on the road (he was "popping grouse") and also charged for not wearing a helmet - he was using a side by side quad. He was also not wearing hunter orange.
I guess after reading this whole post twice, what I want to point out is - great pix Petersen - it sure is a nice area, thanks Thunder for giving us all a gentle reminder to be aware of the regs and our surroundings and R.J. you need to chill a bit - take an honest look at the intention of the post and check out the emoticons used in the post! PM's are great for a "behind the scenes chat" but I am glad that we all had a chance to be reminded to be careful!
As a side note, a friend of mine is a CO in the Barrie office and has mentioned to me that they do on occasion view forums related to hunting for any obvious infractions. He did not mention which forums and I didn't ask.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

This problem should have been solved with thunder giving peterson a pm, rather that publicly calling him on it. Thunders advice would have been appreciated (im sure) and Peterson would continue to post his great pictures. Now niether is going to happen.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-