Rangefinder

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TrophyBuck

Rangefinder

Post by TrophyBuck »

Well today had some time to kill so I went to BPS. I was looking at a rangefinder they had on sale from $129.00 to $109.00 and also a $20.00 mail in rebate. I was looking over the package and read battery not included, when I overheard another customer asking the sales person about this rangefinder. I guess I’m nosy so I went over to see what the sales person had to say. He had one in the cabinet and pulled it out and was telling the other customers about it. I stepped in and said did you know that it doesn’t come with a battery, it is sold separately and he replied that’s odd all of our rangefinders have batteries as he held up the display model and proceeded to press the buttons. He said this one works and put it back on the counter and picked up the package to read the back. Yup your right it does not come with a battery and went to go ask someone else if they carried this type of battery (CR2).While he was gone I picked up the range finder he left on the counter and tried it, pushed the buttons and nothing, so I opened the battery compartment and there was no battery :?: :?: and he told me it was working. Three customers standing there scratching our heads like why did he pretend there was a battery in there, just so he could get the sale. Anyhoo they did have batteries but those little suckers are $11.00 so total cost with tax 137.78 then minus the mail in rebate $20.00.
Got to the car and tried it out, I have never used one before but it was very simple just point it and push the button. It says up to 400 yards but the furthest I could get it to go was 199 yards. I practiced with it on short distances and it read no problem. So I guess for bow use its good but for gun I wouldn’t buy it. I know it’s not the best and I did not even have any intention on buying anything but it’s an addiction.
If i'm not hunting i'm fishing, and if i'm not fishing i'm wishing.
wabi

Re: Rangefinder

Post by wabi »

I would have walked out without it after having a talk with the manager if that happened to me. :roll:

Looks like it should be good for archery, though.
wabi
vortex savage

Post by vortex savage »

Save your receit. this paticular model will burn up some batteries. friend of mine got 1 from bps battery dead after a couple hours.got another battery installed, thought maybe he left it leaned up against something and the button was pushed in. Nope same thing, battery dead within hours.maybe his was a dude but when he returned it , they said that alot of them have been returned.good luck with yours.
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

vortex savage wrote:Save your receit. this paticular model will burn up some batteries. friend of mine got 1 from bps battery dead after a couple hours.got another battery installed, thought maybe he left it leaned up against something and the button was pushed in. Nope same thing, battery dead within hours.maybe his was a dude but when he returned it , they said that alot of them have been returned.good luck with yours.
Thanks for the heads up; it shuts down after 20 sec so we will see what happens. If it fails it's going back. There was one question I have about battery type, there were two types, both were energizer but one was lithium the other was regular. I went with regular is this correct one to go with?
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

bushnells sport 450 is a good range finder for bout 150 bucks, simple to use and takes a 9v if i'm not mistakin :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Missin

Post by Missin »

Im looking for one at the moment from the states since the exchange rate it so good. Bushnell always seems a hit and miss brand, like the game cam i got that wouldnt even turn on. I also found they were the biggest rangefinder them all ,the 450 sport that is.

Also what the hell is with quite a few US mobs not shipping rangefinders out of the country :?

Now, sorry for the hijack but i have come up with the nikon archers choice or the leopold RX 750. Any opinions on these? I also want to use the range finder scope mount.

Again, sorry for the hijack :twisted:
Boo

Post by Boo »

I am sure you can get the batteries for much less. Lithium ion batteries are good for longer out put but suffer in very low temperatures. To get the most range out of these suckers you need a "reflective" target.
http://www.6mmbr.com/rangefinders.html
http://www.google.ca/search?q=rangefind ... =firefox-a
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I bought a Bruton from Canadian Tire a couple years ago. Dropped it 2 or 3 times and it stopped reading correctly. Paid $99. for it. Batteries at Walmart for the CR2 are $18. Sent it back and after figuring out company was sold, and to whom. Three weeks later got a new one in the mail. Reminder, don't send them back if batteries in them! It does all I need it to do. I now try not to drop them anymore. Just costs me money. Like a week ago, showing a friend how to snap shoot for bow fishing only I let go of the string, cost me $20. for a new string. Sometimes I am not the sharpest pencil in the bunch! :) :)

Went for a walk around Canadian Tire 2 weeks ago for a more comfortable seat and walked out with $300. dollar white camo for preditor hunting. Couldn't afford the seat to. We gotta quit just going for a look. It always costs to much! LOL
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

bob1961 wrote:bushnells sport 450 is a good range finder for bout 150 bucks, simple to use and takes a 9v if i'm not mistakin :wink: .........bob

The 450 has worked well for me for the last 4 years. I take the battery out after hunting season. Yes it is 9v.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

TrophyBuck wrote:Thanks for the heads up; it shuts down after 20 sec so we will see what happens. If it fails it's going back. There was one question I have about battery type, there were two types, both were energizer but one was lithium the other was regular. I went with regular is this correct one to go with?
All CR2 are lithium, Lithium Ion is simply rechargeable Lithium. Both are awesome in the cold, especially compared to alkaline or Ni Cad. Also, both can sit in a drawer for about 10 years before they begin to deplete.
If batteries become an issue you can buy rechargeable CR2's, if not they can be had for about $2 each. Most of them are all the same, but avoid ones made by "Goldston".
I would recommend either of these guys.
http://www.lighthound.com/CR2-Lithium-B ... _c_49.html
or
http://www.batterystation.com/lithium.htm
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

vortex savage wrote:Save your receit. this paticular model will burn up some batteries. friend of mine got 1 from bps battery dead after a couple hours.got another battery installed, thought maybe he left it leaned up against something and the button was pushed in. Nope same thing, battery dead within hours.maybe his was a dude but when he returned it , they said that alot of them have been returned.good luck with yours.
Well it looks like you were absolutely right it ate up the battery in no time flat, I got enough time to mark the trees around my permanent stand and that was it.
It will be going back tomorrow, like the old saying goes you get what you pay for, it couldn’t mark anything past 200 yards either. I was pretty close with all my estimate's anyways so it doesn’t look like I will be buying one any time soon no need really. Thanks for the warning.