Noon hunt . .

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Noon hunt . .

Post by sumner4991 »

I went on a noon hunt today. Around 1:30 I catch a glimpse of movement to my left side, behind me. I turn to see a nice buck, probably 6-8 point, walking through the crabapple trees at 20 yards. He's weaving back and forth heading away from me. He's sniffing the ground, then looking ahead, repeatedly. Moving at a good pace, but, in no hurry. I raise my Exomax and go, "blaa". He keeps walking and weaving through the trees. I say, "blaaaa". He keeps walking. At this point he is 35 yards away and I say, "BLLLAAAAAA!". He keeps going. At the edge of the woods he stops briefly, some 70+ yards away and looks ahead. Never in a hurry, tail wagging . . .must have been deaf and legally blind. He didn't act as if he ever saw or heard me.

So, I change my position to watch the area he came out of in case there is a second deer following. At 2:00, a doe comes out from the area I was previously watching which is now to my right and behind me. She immediately busts me and heads for cover. :roll:

Stupid buck . . .smart arse doe. I was just happy to see them. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
strider23

Re: Noon hunt . .

Post by strider23 »

Hopefully you'll get a crack at him again soon. Maybe that was his slick and cool way of saying that he busted you. :lol:
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

My voice don't carry very well and I've had to really yell at deer to get them to stop. If the wind is in your face I imagine that makes a difference. Gary
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

strider23 wrote: Maybe that was his slick and cool way of saying that he busted you. :lol:

That could have been the case. I've never had one act like that before. He had me flustered.

That was my first attempt to get one to stop with the 'blaa' . . .maybe it sounded like 'ha'.

Does the blaa usually work?

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
littlekitch

Post by littlekitch »

i use bahh when they're walking and it's always worked.i did have a buck come through once at 40 yards out in the trees on the trail of a doe that had come through a few minutes earlier.after he went by and was behind a couple of trees i gave a grunt call and he never changed his walk.testestorone is a crazy thing with these guys and this time the female scent won out.i suspect this was your case also.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've stopped several deer with a baaaaaaaa from my own voice.
I've also had one following a scent trail ignore a loud bleat from a deer call.
Could be they aren't too good at multi-tasking. :lol:
wabi
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

Maybe he had missed his nooner by an hour and a half and didn't have time for blaa. lol :lol: :lol: You could used the old phrase "hey deer". 8)
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I may try, "Hey deer" today . . .I'm going to do the midday hunt again. The rain is suppose to stop here shortly. Turning off colder tonight. I'm think the deer will be moving this evening.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

A whistle also works. I usually try the baaa first though. I have had them ignore me too even with getting pretty loud with it.
Why ride when you can walk!