How Fast Can You Setup a Climber?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mark S

Re: How Fast Can You Setup a Climber?

Post by Mark S »

I never timed myself, but I would guess it takes me about 15 minutes to get totally set up. I usually sit about 15 feet high and I know that once my hoist rope starts getting a little taut that I'm about the height I want to be.

I usually wear one of those waist packs too, so everything is pretty much in that and I hang it from the side of the seat. Quick and easy. A hat light is a necessity for me too.
munch

Post by munch »

Mark S wrote:I never timed myself, but I would guess it takes me about 15 minutes to get totally set up. I usually sit about 15 feet high and I know that once my hoist rope starts getting a little taut that I'm about the height I want to be.

I usually wear one of those waist packs too, so everything is pretty much in that and I hang it from the side of the seat. Quick and easy. A hat light is a necessity for me too.
the rope thing is the same gauge i use .also every thing in my backpack and my fold out bow hanger goes ti the tree.up comes the bow with the pack pack on my climber seat then in goes a plastic coated bike hook for the backpack .i like to nock an arrow before i work on that though
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

66 years old. I would guess ~15-20 minutes start to finish with either my API Bowhunter open stand or the way more comfortable (to sit on not to carry or set up or break down) Summit stands I'll sometimes borrow from others. The older I get the less climbing I find myself doing. Much prefer hunting from the ground these days though I readily admit getting busted more often hunting from the ground.

Bill K.
LUDDY

Post by LUDDY »

I Have a summit vipper ss and it takes me about 10-15 min to be ready to hunt.
I also use the rope thing to judge how high I am it's about 25 ft long. No sense trying to be quiet it ain't going to happen they ar noisey by design. By all means safety first if it takes longer then it is what it is. I am 5'6" and 200 lbs
just in case you wanted to know. :shock:

Be Safe
John
2010 Ibex
Groundponder Mount
Firebolts
G5 montecs
Varizone scope
S5 string stop

Remember life is short take somebody hunting
mfh

Post by mfh »

Ditto having a Viper...about 10-15 minutes once I pickthe tree. Course, that is always my problem...always thinking the one or two feet this way, or three that is "better." Of course, the sweat doubles and time increases when I forget something on the ground, or I drop a glove, hat, etc and go fetch it. Done that more than I would like to admit.

Two times I actually got up, and shot within 20 minutes. One time I had just climbed into the stand to climb when I saw a doe enter the woods on the trail I was hunting...I was able to scurry up, get set and place a good shot...I knew I was risking her busting me, but I wanted to see if I could get up in the tree without her noticing...it was really early season, and she was a young doe...so a couple factors were on my side. Other time, I was just doing the normal routine when I looked to my right after just sitting down and at 20 yards a young buck appeared from thin air. No idea how he got there but he too made for great eating.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

lone wolf sit and climb ..about 10 mins to get it set around the tree and up 15 feet ...
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Pydpiper wrote:From packed up on my back to sitting comfortable, about 20 minutes. Used to take longer due to trying to be quiet, then I learned some tricks.. :D
I bring branches with me, break and smash them every few feet up the tree, or to cover a bad sound I had just made. Breaking branches brings deer to you in the bush like Stetson brings in toothless women at a country bar.
I used to try to go slow, and quiet, didn't take me long to understand that that simply doesn't happen.
I have watched a friend climb trees breaking and cutting branches all the way up, only to have deer under him before he can even sit down. If you think you are being quiet then your wrong. Best bet is to try to sound like something that doesn't eat deer, and make your way up!
exactly...

when walking to and climbing a tree i resort to the "give er" mentality as it seems like the less your care the more deer you see. i've seen far more deer while walking casually than when im trying to be quiet.

think about when you are sitting in a stand watching deer. what gets their attention better...a squirrel scrambling through leaves or a single twig breaking? a predator wouldnt be making as much noise as the squirrels so they dont pay attention to it. but, a single twig breaking could be caused by a sneaky predator and that puts them on high alert.

my point? RUN to your stand! :lol: :lol: :lol:
strum

Post by strum »

ch312 wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:From packed up on my back to sitting comfortable, about 20 minutes. Used to take longer due to trying to be quiet, then I learned some tricks.. :D
I bring branches with me, break and smash them every few feet up the tree, or to cover a bad sound I had just made. Breaking branches brings deer to you in the bush like Stetson brings in toothless women at a country bar.
I used to try to go slow, and quiet, didn't take me long to understand that that simply doesn't happen.
I have watched a friend climb trees breaking and cutting branches all the way up, only to have deer under him before he can even sit down. If you think you are being quiet then your wrong. Best bet is to try to sound like something that doesn't eat deer, and make your way up!
exactly...

when walking to and climbing a tree i resort to the "give er" mentality as it seems like the less your care the more deer you see. i've seen far more deer while walking casually than when im trying to be quiet.

think about when you are sitting in a stand watching deer. what gets their attention better...a squirrel scrambling through leaves or a single twig breaking? a predator wouldnt be making as much noise as the squirrels so they dont pay attention to it. but, a single twig breaking could be caused by a sneaky predator and that puts them on high alert.

my point? RUN to your stand! :lol: :lol: :lol:
as a turkey hunter i pay attention to the birds..when they get dead silent i know there is a person walking and when its predator they make a lot of noise,,when its a non predator like a deer or turkey they usualy are talking but not with an overly urgent tone..
that said walk ,run ,stalk ,,whatever the birds tell on us,,i try to get to my stand as silent as i can but also i want to move on too..best for me is to get up there and get still so the woods resumes its normal sounds,,
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
XCaddis

Post by XCaddis »

DanO wrote:I've gone to my ladder stands for the predawn hunting and the climber for late afternoons. I can't imagine clunking around in the predawn bush with the climber. I make too much noise and take too long.

Is there room on the shelf for another climber, Wabi? :lol:
Dan O.
I would consider purchasing that climber if you were looking at getting rid of it Dan.

Jason
XCaddis

Excalibur Exomax
STS
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder

Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Thats a tough question. From hauling in the woods to completion about 3hrs with help. This is a ladder stand. Gone are the days of having the stand on my back and steps in a punch at my side. Would sometimes clmb three trees before I was satified. Oh to be young. :wink: