O/T - Back from my rifle hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

O/T - Back from my rifle hunt

Post by ninepointer »

The second week of the northern Ontario gun season was a bit on the slow side. By late in the week we only had meagre success and sightings were few, despite plenty of deer sign in the bush. Being one of the “young guys” in camp, I got to do a lot of the dogging and get into some really great north woods deer country.

By Friday I had not yet laid my eyes on a deer. The highlights of my hunt up to the point were spending time with my good friends, finding a shed moose antler and stumbling across a bear’s den (Seemingly vacant, but admittedly I didn’t look too closely!!!).

The deer watch that I drew for Friday afternoon was not known to be a producer and upon arrival I found that the once clear view from the tree stand to now be a virtual wall of young tag alders and poplar slash. So rather than take the tree stand, I half-heartedly positioned myself on the ground inside a tiny island of pines among the slash, offering me an opening slightly larger than a living room.

No sooner had I gotten into position, when one of our hounds barked and a snowshoe hare dashed by me in a blur. With the dogs on a rabbit I was just about to relax my grip on my rifle when the woods suddenly exploded with deer!

Before I knew it, two deer sped by me in the thick cover, offering me no shot even if I had been fast enough to draw on them. Then a small buck suddenly burst into my little clearing, coming straight at me at full speed!!! He was only ten paces away when I pulled the trigger on my .308 pump action and braced myself for impact with the deer.

Fortunately the deer dropped in his tracks.

Just then a bigger buck came barrelling in from my right side, leaping over the first deer. I took my first shot while the buck was in the air, my second shot when his hooves hit the ground, but it was not until I took my third shot, just before he entered the thick slash, that that I saw the second buck crumple.

At that very same moment the first buck started to kick so I ran up to him, gun at the ready, and found him dead in the second it took me to get there. I then turned my attention back to other buck, only to discover that he was gone!

A few minutes of worried searching ended when I spotted him only 10 metres farther into the poplars, but he was lying with his back toward me, making him virtually invisible on the forest floor. His antlers were tangled in the remains of a 3 centimetre diameter sapling, snapped in half by the force of the deer’s collision.

With two bucks on the ground in seemingly the blink of an eye, my heart was pounding, my head was reeling and I felt the need to sit down to try to make sense out of what had just happened. Now I know full well that liquor has no place during the hunt, but I must admit that if somebody had been there to offer me a shot of whiskey at that moment, I just might have taken it! :lol:

Back at the camp, after the bucks were skinned and I had had a hot shower, I did finally have that shot of whiskey. And perhaps a few more :wink:.

My double on deer: Fork-horn and 8-pointer.
Last edited by ninepointer on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
sumner4991

Re: O/T - Back from my rifle hunt

Post by sumner4991 »

That's what I need to get me jumpin! :twisted: Way to drop 'em!! :mrgreen:

Good shooting. Great pictures.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congratulations! funny how things work out sometimes eh?!!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
strider23

Post by strider23 »

Congratulations. Looks like everything went "down" just fine. :D

Enjoy all of the good eats.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Congrats on the great double! What an exciting way to end the week!!!! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on the double, say you wouldn't have been abit excited with all those deer running up to you ? :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) Congrats on your double :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
secret

Post by secret »

Congrats!!!!! 2 nice deer!!!! Makes me wish i was fishing for walleyes in that one photo!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Hey that's hunting hour's of nothing but beautiful scenery and then seconds of pure heart pounding insane adrenaline.Great shootin sometimes the close ones are the hardest :lol: CONGRATS!!
The best things in life are not things!!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Great story!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
maple

Post by maple »

Atta boy Ninepointer. Way to stick to it. Just goes to show you you never know when the unexpected will happen.

Congrats on the great hunt camp experiences, the persistence, and the good shooting.

Maple
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Congratulations on your rapid fire double down!! :shock:
Sounds pretty exciting and I would've needed a shot 'er two myself after that much excitement.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Joe

Post by Joe »

How awesome is that Ninepointer!!! Great job on the deer! Love the story and the pics. :)
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Congradulations!!! Great story and pics!
Crispy
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats on the two deer. Now you have to wait for another time to get that 10 pointer! :lol:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting