need some help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

train234

need some help

Post by train234 »

Hi guys great forum here. Me and 3 of my friends live in michigan and we each bought exomax crossbows with the light stuff package. Last year i shot a doe at 45 yards. It was video taped and is on u tube for anyone interested in watching. look up timberwalker adventures. this year i got 3 does an missed 2 8 pointers.

Now all 4 of our problems are that we sight our bows in. they seem to shoot fine for a couple and then after a few days they start to shoot high. we all seem to have the same problem. on the first 8 pt i missed it was at 45 yrds. almost same spot where i shot the doe on video. i know that shot was user error was i shot too low and totaly missed the deer with the bolt landing under the deer. the second 8 point was at 30 yards and i shot high after being the woods for 2 days staight and not shooting my bow at all. I would take the string down at night and all day both days it was cocked. when i got back to camp at night i shot bow at 30 yards from a rest where i sight bow in. the bolt shot over top again.

i have changed scope and i am now using a nikon rifle scope because last year with this same problem i thought it was the scope. i am anal about the pull back when i cock the box as to make sure i pull back same way each time.

i am shooting the firebolts with luminoxs noks. i am also using shuttle t lock bh which when i sight my box in i am putting 3 arrows in a hole about the size of half dollar.

i dont want to have to shoot my bow everymorning and night before i go out into the woods. i do not know why the zero seems to keep changing and i cannot fig. it out. any suggestions would be helpful. i have been hunting for 20 yrs and never had a problem like this before. i used to bow hunt with a matthews fx which was my last bow never had this problem. i dont want to go back to my bow but i dont want to keep missing deer and resighting my cb in everytime i go out.
secret

Re: need some help

Post by secret »

Your scope is broke! Take it back where you bought it and they will replace it with a new one.If its not the scope there is something loose like your scope mount or bracket. once these bows are sighted in they are deadly!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
peter p

Post by peter p »

What kind and how old is your string?
What is your brace height set at?
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Is there a chance that your brace height is creeping up? It would explain why it is happening to all of you.
If your string is creeping (slowly getting longer) you power stroke will increase and speed up the bow a bit, in turn raising your point of impact. Your changes seem to happen a bit faster, and the POI typically isn't that dramatic, but it is a possibility.
This phenomenon is very common with the factory Dacron string.
A quick check is to mark where your string sits on the rail while the limbs are at rest, a marker or paint, then check it again later, if the string creeped then you can expect a change in your point of impact. It's worth noting that heat can accelerate the creeping process.
Measure from your riser, It isn't important where the string sits, but it is very important that it is the same each time the bow relaxes. This is especially important at longer shots.

Last edited by Pydpiper on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
secret

Post by secret »

Where is your speed ring on scope set at?
Exocet 200
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sounds very similar to the problems I've had in the past few years. :roll:

Sight in and the bow shoots fine groups, a few days/weeks later the POI suddenly shifts.

Every time it's happened to me it's been the scope! And that list includes TenPoint, Excalibur, and Alpen scopes.

I'm now using a Leupold I put on my Phoenix just before deer season, and so far it's held up.
wabi
secret

Post by secret »

Also check to see if the lockdown set screw on speed ring is tight. about a year ago they had issues with the scopes. the problem has been solved maybee these scopes came from that batch!
Exocet 200
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

secret wrote:Also check to see if the lockdown set screw on speed ring is tight. about a year ago they had issues with the scopes. the problem has been solved maybee these scopes came from that batch!

That screw is not to lock the speedring, a common misconception. It extends into the scope tube to move the lenses when you turn it. The past scope problem Excal went through had nada to do w/ it either, btw.

My guess on the OP's problem is a shifting bheight which will really show up at the longer ranges. 45 yds is quite a bit further than I'm comfortable w/.
"Eze 18:21"
secret

Post by secret »

If it was brace height issues wouldnt it shoot "LOW" at 45 yards{not high] My friend went through this same exact issue with his Relayer and it was "SCOPE"........Just saying!!!
Exocet 200
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Do you have the factory sights to install to rule out the scopes?
The best things in life are not things!!
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

If you watch the slow motion videos on Crossbow Review you will see the scope bobbing around after the shot everything must be tight and loc tite applied to the threads.

I had too many issues with the scopes and have since switched to factory sights with a little modification to them.

I now have a consistent shooting bow.

You said you have been thru several different scopes I would lean towards the loose components.Not just the mount but the trigger assembly screws as well your scope is on a mount on the trigger assembly which is held on with two screws from underneath.
Also A flemish string will hold a brace height much better.

Hope you get it figured out.
Tenpoint Matrix
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

secret wrote:If it was brace height issues wouldnt it shoot "LOW" at 45 yards{not high] My friend went through this same exact issue with his Relayer and it was "SCOPE"........Just saying!!!
You are mistaken.
As the string creeps the powerstroke increases and increases speed, as the speed increases the point of impact raises. The end result would be a high hit.
Scope issues tend to be a bit more erratic. Seldomly did the point of impact simply go high, it would also involve an inconsistent left or right shift.
While a faulty scope has not been ruled out just yet, the signs the guy is describing are not consistent with a defective scope. Loose, maybe.
He has tried multiple scopes and the phenomenon is happening to 4 guys at the same time.
Just answering!!! :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

secret wrote:If it was brace height issues wouldnt it shoot "LOW" at 45 yards{not high] My friend went through this same exact issue with his Relayer and it was "SCOPE"........Just saying!!!
No, it should not. If the string creeps string gets longer and brace height decreases. String is with the arrow longer and therefore more energy is transfered to the arrow - translates into a faster arrow off the bow resulting in a flatter shooting arrow. I've never messed around with extreme low brace heights, nor read about it for that matter, so I've no idea how extreme low brace height might/would effect arrow flight.

Bill K.
secret

Post by secret »

Wow....Maybee i should put a bigger string on my recurve bow then!
Exocet 200
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

secret wrote:Wow....Maybee i should put a bigger string on my recurve bow then!
That would be very effective, if your arms grew in proportion to the bow. :D
WMU 91
Boo string