String bumper design

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

warydragon

String bumper design

Post by warydragon »

I've been thinking about a string bumper design for my Phoenix crossbow that would be compatible with my custom quiver bracket http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=36162 or Groundpounder's design. It seems we are adapting the bumper design from a regular compound bow. Has anyone tried to just glue a piece of rubber to each riser face. I think I read that most of the noise is originating from the string slapping the riser face.

I'm sure the bumpers will be taking a beating, literally. Does anyone have any idea what shape or density of rubber would work best? I would guess a sine wave shape would be most quiet. What glue would hold best?

Maybe someone has already tried this.

Fred
Last edited by warydragon on Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pydpiper

Re: String bumper design

Post by Pydpiper »

My string doesn't hit my riser.
Bill at Excalibur said that he did experiment with putting rubber pads right on the riser with no loss in sound. I think the object is to stop the string at the brace height, prevent it from oscillating.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
warydragon

Post by warydragon »

I don't know for sure if the string hits the riser. But, it sure looks like it does. Mine has wax marks on the top and vertical surface of the riser that I assumed came from the serving moving across the riser and striking the riser vertical surface. Also, it looks like some indentions on the front of the string serving that match the vertical riser surface.

Yes, it makes sense to stop the string somewhere near the brace height.

I'm just suggesting that there might be a lighter, less complicated to fabricate [and less expensive] string bumper design that accomplishes the same end result.

Fred
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I experimented with putting rubber on the riser. I initially started experimenting with the string stopper in order to use a lower brace height and keep the string off the riser. On my Exomax, the string hitting the riser would end up breaking the string after about 80 shots.

Anyway, the rubber on the riser would eventually fall off from the beating it took. Maybe a better adhesive would have done the trick. However, like Pydpiper said, it didn't help stop the noise.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

You can verify if the string is hitting the riser by putting some lipstick on the riser then fire the bow and check for lipstick on the string.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.