the secret to success, do I NEED a new bow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Re: the secret to success, do I NEED a new bow?

Post by sumner4991 »

I like the post wabi . . .but, look at the flip side . . .would I be forced to be a better hunter if I had bought a Barnett? :shock: Dang right!

Part of the reason I ended up here was because of the things you listed in the post. And, it did improve my success rate.

I typically do a ton of research before I buy a high dollar item, because I know it will probably be the last time I buy that item or at least it will be a very long time before I buy another.

I don't need the latest and greatest . . .just the best available at the time of purchase. I'll then be the best I can be with that purchase. If I keep trading out and buying " up", then there is a learning curve. Keep taking two steps back and one step forward.

Best to keep what you have to get really good with it . . .unless you have a Barnett.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Well said ...

Wabi wrote ...
I’m a believer in “paying your dues”.
I agree 100 %

Wabi wrote ...
I’m far from being a deer’s worst nightmare, but I usually manage to put some meat in the freezer each year and I credit my success to experience, not some new product that can “guarantee success”, because no such product exists! I get “busted” at times, I have screwed up a few “sure shots” over the years, but I did learn something each time I screwed up, and today those mistakes are much less frequent. The result - a much higher percentage of dead deer to shots taken!
I agree 200 % ..... some people " just get it " !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
wabi

Post by wabi »

sumner4991 wrote:I like the post wabi . . .but, look at the flip side . . .would I be forced to be a better hunter if I had bought a Barnett? :shock: Dang right!

Part of the reason I ended up here was because of the things you listed in the post. And, it did improve my success rate.

I typically do a ton of research before I buy a high dollar item, because I know it will probably be the last time I buy that item or at least it will be a very long time before I buy another.

I don't need the latest and greatest . . .just the best available at the time of purchase. I'll then be the best I can be with that purchase. If I keep trading out and buying " up", then there is a learning curve. Keep taking two steps back and one step forward.

Best to keep what you have to get really good with it . . .unless you have a Barnett.
My first crossbow was a Horton, but luckily I owned it while I was still able to shoot my longbow. :shock: :lol: :lol:
Luckily I found Excalibur about the same time my shoulder finally put an end to shooting the longbow. I could have killed deer with the Horton, but I'll admit confidence is a part of the success equation, too, and the Horton didn't inspire confidence.

As for fly rods, I'll admit I do own a few. :wink:
I may end up like English Jonny someday if I can find one of those Laurel & Hardy Brothers fly rods and go after carp - http://vimeo.com/12268498
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
wabi
Old Jim

Post by Old Jim »

I read many posts where the hunter bags 5 or more deer a season. What are some of the States that allow this harvest?
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

very well said wabi :wink: ....i bought my exocet after knowing what i wanted in a crossbow and what the exocet could give me....at the time PA had a 200# max on crossbows so that was one main factor that played in my purchase of it....then the next year pa went with a min of 125# in there regulation for crossbows....did i want to go to 225# then, no i am totaly happy with the 200# exocet....but i did go to work in building what i think is the best hunting arrow i can shoot from it, i think i have come to that result as of now....i'm going to try to drop 25 and 50gr come spring and see how my arrows still fly and gain a little bit of speed but don't think i need to though....just the MacGyver tinkerer in me :lol: ....but i am going to make a wooden stock for my exocet to help quiet it down a bit, but i don't think it is very loud now....i think the crossbow companys out there other then excalibur put to much on speed of the arrow coming out of there xbows then quailty of arrow flight....like said by a few above bout paying for your equipment once and buying the "RIGHT STUFF" out of the gate, i didn't just go buy an excalibur crossbow cause everyone said to....i researched, read tons of info, looked at all crossbow companys out there, look at recalls on every company out there and then made my descision on what i thought would serve me for years to come....the only crossbow company i couldn't find a recall on was exclaibur brand xbow, that was my main factor in buying one....plus i didn't want training wheels on my crossbow either and a recurve type would allow me to work on my own bow....i am totaly satisfied in my excalibur exocet :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Gwens Dilemma

Post by Gwens Dilemma »

Good subject Wabi. I've been at this game for a couple years. Started out with a used Barnett Comando. 20 yards was a long shot and sometimes a heart stopper. I could watch the bolt arc, almost float to the deer. I learned early that 10 - 15 yards was my best range. Never had a pass through and learned how to track a sparse blood trail. I actually spined my first 8 point as he was 5 yards from the tree and I didn't aim that high. I bought an Exomag from Bill T. himself about 1993 -1995 and though I love this bow I try to keep all my shots within 25 yards. I whistle every deer stopped and being the savage I am, enjoy watching for the dark spot on their side, through the scope. To each his own way of hunting, this is how i love the thrill. I also hunt the controlled hunt with a 12 gauge but it isn't the same. Oh yeah, the only year I didn't get my deer was when I quit smoking (I was so miserable even the deer stayed away). Just my 2 cents worth and thanks for letting an old fart ramble :wink:
Dave
strum

Post by strum »

I disagree with everything you said wabi...are you trying to put cabelas out of buisness or what? :roll:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) I shoot an old Exomag :)
But I think everyone should run out every spring and buy the latest new Excalibur . :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus