Vortex question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

liberty1743

Vortex question

Post by liberty1743 »

Hi, I'm debating about getting the Vortex instead of the Equinox. I've never owned a crossbow and I'm concerned that the extra $110 is not necessary. I shoot left-handed, however, and want to know if the Vortex has an ambidextrous cheek piece like the Equinox. It isn't advertised on the former like it is on the latter. In addition, I welcome any other advice. I wanted to go with Excalibur because of the simplicity and dependability of the recurve limbs. Is the vortex still too much bow? I'm 39 yo, 5' 11", 190 lbs. My shoulder is bothering me, so drawing a 70 lb. bow is starting to become an issue.
Tired Rooster

Re: Vortex question

Post by Tired Rooster »

Hey liberty. I'm 40 yo, 5'9" and 190 lbs. No, the Vortex is not too much bow. I recently purchased an Exocet 200 which is the same bow as the Vortex, but with the traditional stock. Vortex has thumbhole, other than that they are the same bow. Very easy to cock with the rope cocker. I have tendonitis in one arm and have no problem with this bow. I'm sure others will weigh in with advice. But whatever you decide on, many here will tell you that the baddest and fastest is not always the way to go and they would be right. My first crossbow too and I love it.
DEO VINDICE
Normous

Post by Normous »

Welcome,
You will like either one, same thumbhole stock on both for you lefties. Since we own both, my nod goes to the Vortex, just a sweeter, slighty shorter and lighter model. At 6'4" I still prefer the Vortex but at the same time I'll never give up my Equinox. I'm sure you will really like it
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!!!
I don't know a whole lot about the vortex...mostly what I've read here.
Don't quate me but I belief the cheek pieace can be used right or left handed.
The 200lb bows should be a little easier on your center serving,but any loss of speed shouldn't be noticed at normal hunting range's.
Hope this help's!!
Good Luck!!!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

The cheek rest will fit all thumb hole stocks and can be bought as a accessory I am 90% sure it does not come standard.
The vortex is a wonderful choice and all the new Excaliburs but the Y25 can be cocked with a crank if in the future your shoulder becomes to bad.
My 12 year old daughter can crank my Equinox with the crank no problem.
Try and find a shop that will let you try the different bows and go for it.
higher poundage = faster/flatter /harder hitting not as nice handling as a the shorter bows and shorter serving life but easy to redo your self.
lower poundage = nicer handling bow / longer serving life/easier to cock but more bolt drop less forgiving of range mistakes/ less energy witch is in most cases not a problem but the extra energy is never a bad thing when encountering bone or heavy quartering shots or very large game.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Dash

Post by Dash »

When you say your shoulder is bothering you, Maybe that should be the judge. Depending on if its a long term injury that will only deteriorate with age or a temporary thing.
I slightly pulled a muscle on the right shoulder. Its not even that bad, but hindering my recovery because I keep using the equinox !!!
That last 2 inches draw is a bitch with an injury. With an Ibex I wouldn't have that. You could go to a store and see what poundage crossbow feels comfortable to cock with your shoulder, just to be sure. Maybe consider then even consider the Ibex or Vortex. Both good poundage and quality. At least then you'll have a good crossbow that you can use as often as you want.
liberty1743

Post by liberty1743 »

Dash wrote:When you say your shoulder is bothering you, Maybe that should be the judge. Depending on if its a long term injury that will only deteriorate with age or a temporary thing.
I slightly pulled a muscle on the right shoulder. Its not even that bad, but hindering my recovery because I keep using the equinox !!!
That last 2 inches draw is a bitch with an injury. With an Ibex I wouldn't have that. You could go to a store and see what poundage crossbow feels comfortable to cock with your shoulder, just to be sure. Maybe consider then even consider the Ibex or Vortex. Both good poundage and quality. At least then you'll have a good crossbow that you can use as often as you want.
My shoulder/back aren't that bad, but I lost 50 lbs. recently and along with it some strength. I pulled a muscle and I can't seem to muster the energy to pull back my bow like I used to.

With that said, maybe I should be comparing the Ibex and the Vortex. Would there bea downside to using a 175 lb. bow on a large buck or black bear?
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

Welcome to the forum :) A 175 # crossbow will kill anything in north America, and most animals in Africa :) It would be an excellent choice for deer and black bear. That said, I own
the vortex and love it. That was my personal choice. Check out the different models and see which one YOU feel most comfortable with. I like the thumb hole stock because it gives you a sold hold and makes the bow feel very steady during the shot. I do not have any problem at all taking the safety off before the shot as some members say they do with a thumbhole. :shock: Again it's just a matter of personal choice. No matter which one you decide on you will be very happy with excalibur. You will not find a better warrenty anyware!! Good hunting.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum!! :)

I own a Vortex and love it!
It does not come with the cheek piece but can be purchased as an accessory and it will fit either side of the stock.
I added it to mine and it really is comfortable.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
liberty1743

Post by liberty1743 »

SPITFIRE wrote:Welcome to the forum :) A 175 # crossbow will kill anything in north America, and most animals in Africa :) It would be an excellent choice for deer and black bear. That said, I own
the vortex and love it. That was my personal choice. Check out the different models and see which one YOU feel most comfortable with. I like the thumb hole stock because it gives you a sold hold and makes the bow feel very steady during the shot. I do not have any problem at all taking the safety off before the shot as some members say they do with a thumbhole. :shock: Again it's just a matter of personal choice. No matter which one you decide on you will be very happy with excalibur. You will not find a better warrenty anyware!! Good hunting.
Thank you for the feedback. I'm leaning towards the 175#, but someone had mentioned that extra fps is more forgiving when judging distance. I don't have a lot of achery experience, and I'm not the greatest judge of distance. Will 25 lbs. make a difference? Also, is the thumbhole advantages when it comes to a single-hand grip? That's what turkey hunters often say about sitting down with a thumbhole over a conventional stock.
gmwoodturner

Post by gmwoodturner »

Talk about shoulder problems, Mine was so bad that I had to have surgery on my spine and shoulder.I had to give up shooting with my compound bows. I own a Phoenix crossbow and Vortex and have no problem with cocking either one with the use of the rope cocking aid. As for power and all either bow will take any game in Canada within 40 yards as long as you do your part. I have shot numerous deer and a few bears from 18 to 40 yards and all have been complete pass through s . The shoulder still aches some times if I do a lot of target shooting but not enough to give up this great sport.
isn't life great and so is my wife.She lets me go hunting to
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

liberty1743 wrote:
SPITFIRE wrote:Welcome to the forum :) A 175 # crossbow will kill anything in north America, and most animals in Africa :) It would be an excellent choice for deer and black bear. That said, I own
Thank you for the feedback. I'm leaning towards the 175#, but someone had mentioned that extra fps is more forgiving when judging distance. I don't have a lot of achery experience, and I'm not the greatest judge of distance. Will 25 lbs. make a difference? Also, is the thumbhole advantages when it comes to a single-hand grip? That's what turkey hunters often say about sitting down with a thumbhole over a conventional stock.
I'm not the best judge of distance either and don't own a rangefinder yet so what i do is pace off 20 & 30 yards and stick a branch in the ground at those distances. Do that in your shooting lanes and your good to go if you're hunting from a tree stand or blind. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

the vortex is a great all round bow and 200lbs is all anybody realy needs to hutn every think from turkeys to elk and moose .the difrence from a 200 lb bow to a 225 is a lot when you have to cook it most guys have prblems getting that last two inches back . the 200lb bows i can still load by hand if needed . i can do a 225lb from the ground but would never try it in a tree . for a lot of years i hunted with a horton cross bow at 150 lbs and never felt under gunned at all . i find the 200lb bows to be perfect for all cases fast enought for turkeys and lots of power for mooses and bears . more bow then most guys will ever need . and the excals are the top of the line when it comes to crossbow none built better DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver