A better scope than the Varizone. Is it needed or wanted??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Re: A better scope than the Varizone. Is it needed or wanted

Post by VixChix »

I think the Vari or Lumi is a good scope for hunting. For shooting 3D I wouldn't mind something a little fussier. :)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
masboy

Post by masboy »

some people with alot of experience no how important it is to have high quality scopes on 22.s crossbows and rifles and fine binoxs for hunting or target shooting.
wabi

Post by wabi »

bstout wrote:When I see an expensive long range telescopic sight on a crossbow, it tells me something about that crossbow shooter.

It tells me they lack understanding of short range weapons in general. It tells me they have little experience shooting scoped handguns or scoped 22 rimfire rifles and other scoped short range weapons (pellet & BB guns).

Some shop for a telescopic sight in the same fashion they'd shop for a pair of binoculars, as if they were going to stare through it for hours on end instead of about 20 seconds...long enough to make a shot.

It's a weapon sight, not a pair of glasses.

In my opinion it's best to forget about the status symbol aspect of your equipment and the easy thought that something more expensive automatically has to be better for any and all applications.
It could also be telling you they are fed up with made in China junk that has failed all too often, and they realize the crossbow is a short range weapon, so they don't need all those ranging apertures clogging up the view.

My experience so far:
TenPoint "pro view" - failed
replacement "pro view" - failed
Replacement for replacement - sold as quickly as possible
Alpen optics 4x riflescope - failed
Excalibur "varizone" - failed
repaired (found loose lens & tightened it) Excalibur "varizone" - failed (not lens this time)
Leupold shotgun scope - still going strong and offers a heavy duplex reticle that shows up in low light.

My hunting method - get deer inside 30 yards - center duplex in kill zone - squeeze trigger - follow short blood trail to dead deer.
wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I had the opportunity to look at this scope last weekend and I was impressed!

Not that I'm any expert, but it's got great light-gathering; fine & crisp crosshairs; and the illuminated red dot is effective but not obtrusive. The zoom feature would almost literally let you "pick a hair". :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Michael Stogre

Post by Michael Stogre »

I have used a varizone for five years without any problems. I also use it for plenty of target practice and some 3D shoots.
Bill T. says he uses the varizone wherever he hunts all over the world. Recent reports seem to indicate that the quality of scope production has deteriorated recently. Is that the case? I will definitely look at the new offerings but am happy
with what I have got now.

MJS
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Michael Stogre wrote:Recent reports seem to indicate that the quality of scope production has deteriorated recently. Is that the case?
MJS
NO! I f you go by what Bill T has said here its that there have been issues with some of the early Lumizones. That problem has been corrected for a while now.
Lets think for a minute how many scopes excal sells. I bet theres alot of them out there and some are going to have problems. Either design or customer induced. Where else would they come to voice their concerns? Here at excalibur's forum or at the repair facilities naturally.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
masboy

Post by masboy »

if comparing cars to crossbows my excaliburs a porsche for sure .and i could get around on wallmart tires same as others .but when i drive my porsche i want a set of high quality tires . that don,t blow out all the time.i,d like to spend my time driving it rather than changing tires.
strum

Post by strum »

Wabi Wrote :My hunting method - get deer inside 30 yards - center duplex in kill zone - squeeze trigger - follow short blood trail to dead deer.[/quote]love your method :D :D think ill give it a try..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Tired Rooster

Post by Tired Rooster »

Wabi, you're a no nonsense fella, and I respect the heck outa that. Obviously driven by experience and hard knock lessons. Those are the lessons best learned. At what range do you have your Leupold sighted at dead zero?
DEO VINDICE
Dash

Post by Dash »

The more scopes available out there, all the better :!: It doesn't mean new is better. As a consumer we want choice.
We all have different needs, we hunt different things, have good or bad eyesight, target shoot or just hunt, different light conditions, and sometimes more importantly what we can afford.
So one scope will never suit everyone.
It's not up to us to judge or dictate to someone what scope they should use. We will all have our personal preferences as to what we want in a scope.
I like both excalibur scopes, but not the recticle pattern.
It would be pretty bloody boring if we all had the same Crossbow, Arrow, Scope, BH, etc, wouldn't it :?:
We would all have nothing to talk about then .... :lol:
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

leupold v x2 in 2x 7 has worked fantastic for me in on my rifle..
BryanOney

Post by BryanOney »

Can someone tell me what the field of view at 100 yds is for the excaliber scopes.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

BryanOney wrote:Can someone tell me what the field of view at 100 yds is for the excaliber scopes.
Since the are a variable scope ( the 'speed ring' is only the power changer) the field of view depends on the power you're scope is set at.

BTW, I LOVE the reticule pattern. I have Lumi's on two bows of different speeds and by using the variable power option I can match the point of impact for both bows to the same aim point. ( e.g.30 yards, second chevron down.) That's a very good thing, at 70 I have enough to remember...what was a going to say? :D

BTW2 scopes don't gather light, they TRANSMIT light. The amount they transmit is determined by the size of the ocular objective (rear one, not front) and the coating applied to the lenses ($); which also affects their cost..
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!