OT-deposit on soft drink cans

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

OT-deposit on soft drink cans

Post by chris4570 »

I was at CT today, bought an energy drink and noticed that I was charged a 10 cent deposit. I asked if I could return the can to the store when done and was told no. How is it a deposit if you can't get it back?? And are other stores charging this without our knowledge? If so where is the money going?

Yes it is only 10 cents. From me, and everyone else. Adds up. It's a matter of principle just as much as the fact that someone is collecting this money and probably getting wealthy as a result.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
wheelie

Re: OT-deposit on soft drink cans

Post by wheelie »

crush it and throw it in with your beer cans. Get your dime back. :wink: :)
munch

Post by munch »

not sure where the deposit goes but do know i bought a new printer over the holidays from walmart and noticed when i got home i was charged a $5 environmental fee.i'm sure this goes into a stewardship fund i think they call it.then any municipality that has an electronics recycle program gets payed per ton that they recycle.so if you think about $5 on every item the cost of a ton could be upward to $500 dollars that the government takes in.just wonder if they will put all that money into the program or other causes .if you and everyone else where to throw a 5cent juice bottle into the regular trash in can be buried in the landfill for $65 bucks a ton but the government still collects there money per bottle sold.i think it's just another clever tax grab.a lot like the new hst on your hydro furnace oil natural gas and anything else that gets sold
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

the gov't has struck gold with all the enviro fees we now pay :roll:
its the manufacturer who should pay that .10
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
wabi

Post by wabi »

Seems to me the word DEPOSIT indicates it should be refundable when the container is returned.
wabi
munch

Post by munch »

wabi wrote:Seems to me the word DEPOSIT indicates it should be refundable when the container is returned.
wabi thats the way it should be but i can tell you that every liter and 4 liter jug of motor sold here has a deposit on the empty container the government collects this from the oil company if they want to sell oil here then the oil company adds this in there price so we pay that tax as well .if we throw it in the trash there is no loss to the company or the government they both got payed.you also get taxed again it you buy a garbage bag tag to put on a plastic bag to throw your empty juice bottles and oil jugs in to set out at the curb.where i live we pay the county $1.50 per bag set out at the curb.think the boys in government didn't put some thought into this money maker
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
DanO

Post by DanO »

I hope I don't hijack the thread but is there any other state or province that DOESN'T charge a deposit on pop cans except Ontario. I can't believe the lobbying the pop industry must have done to get away without a deposit. Instead we all pay to get rid of their containers by subsidizing the Blue Box program. There are pop cans all over the countryside; don't see beer bottles anywhere for very long.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I'm fine with a deposit, so long as I can return my empties and get the deposit back.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"