Broadhead data

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Broadhead data

Post by sumner4991 »

OK . . .finally tallied some numbers. There are a lot of broadheads being used, so I just picked out the ones I thought would be of interest. If you want data on a brand I left out, then just let me know.

These numbers have been compiled over the last three seasons from reported kills and tracking distances reported by the members here.

Broadhead . .. . .#kills . . . . Average recovery . . ..# not recovered
Boltcutter . . . . . .41 . . . . . . . . . 68.12. . . . . .. . .4
Grim Reapers . . . .3 . . . . . . . . . .10.12 . . . . . . . .0
Grizz Tricks . . . . .2 . . . . . . . . . .78.5 . . . . . . . . .0
Hammerheads . . . .6 . . . . . . . . . 23.83 . . . . . . . .0
Rage . . . . . . . . .46 . . . . . .. . . .48.61 . . . . . . . .4
Slick Trick . . . . .101 . . . . . . .. . 54.71 . . . . . . . 6
Vortex . . . . . . .7 . . . . .. . . . . . 32.4 . . . . . .. . . 0
Stricknines . . . . . 7 . . . . . . . . . 18.7 . . . . . . . . .0
Spitfires . . . . . .31 . . . . . ... . . 41.9 . . . . . . . . . 0

Fixed blades . . . . .317 . . . . . .55.52 . . . . . . .13
Mechanicals . . . . .154 . . . . . .45.42 . . . . . . ..5

Draw your own conclusions. It's raw data. Some broadheads have a better representation than others. The less input, the less you can rely on the data. The more, the better.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
CBRon

Re: Broadhead data

Post by CBRon »

sumner4991, Thanks for taking the time to do this it's very interesting to me. Did anybody use montec-hellraser-snufferss style of broadheads.. Ron
VIXEN 2 , PHOENIX
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Your post will almost certainly generate some controversy, and maybe some criticism. It is a good discussion to have, though.

I'm still mulling over my analysis and more detailed response.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

The averages are very close, within ten yards. A 50 yard average recovery really isn't bad at all.

My Muzzys are right around that mark.

Thanks for the data Sumner!!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

CBRon wrote:sumner4991, Thanks for taking the time to do this it's very interesting to me. Did anybody use montec-hellraser-snufferss style of broadheads.. Ron
Ron . . .I have 5 kills listed with the Montecs, with a 66.20 average recovery(one 150 yard recovery), all recovered There are 4 kills reported with Snuffers with a 23.75 average recovery. As you can see with a small number of kills reported, one long recovery can really throw the numbers off. The Montecs without that one included has a 45.25 average recovery.

Everyone . . .these are raw numbers . . .nothing proven. However, all data was collected the same way and I believe the guys that reported the data did so under the "honest effort" approach. So, if enough data is collected, we could eventually see some trends.

I like to look at it as a way to grade my hunting. For example if I am using Slick Tricks and my average recovery is 20 yards, then I'm doing something right. There are so many variables, it will be impossible to make any realistic conclusions.

On the other hand, if I wasn't making the average, then I'd want to figure out what I was doing wrong as a hunter. For example, if I was using Slick Tricks and my average recovery was 110 yards, then I need to take a good look at how I hunt.

I also believe the data is a good way to start your search for a good broadhead combo. However, if you have poor results with one broadhead(not making the average), then you will probably have poor results with another broadhead(in relation to other members) if you are doing something wrong in the way you hunt or the set-up is bad.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

chris4570 wrote:The averages are very close, within ten yards. A 50 yard average recovery really isn't bad at all.

My Muzzys are right around that mark.

Thanks for the data Sumner!!
The Muzzy has 30 reported kills with an average recovery of 77.22 and one hit, but, not recovered. There are a few LONG recoveries in there. Without the extended recoveries, then your average is 47.52. There are enough long recoveries to make me believe it is important to include them. Especially since a couple of them came from long term members.
Last edited by sumner4991 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great info! Thanks for taking the time to track it and post it.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I assume all data refers to whitetail deer.

It would have been nice to have had estimated distances at which the animal was shot. Also, what was the degree of penetration--whether or not there was a pass through? What was the bow used, and the arrow weight.

Brand name by itself is less significant than width of cut and depth of penetration. Some brands have differing weights and widths of cut for the same model of broadhead. Some bows are more powerfull, enabling a pass through, where others may not have the power.

It may also be usefull to know the experience level of the shooter. Maybe, just maybe, the more experienced hunter would be a better shot, or, a more patient hunter, getting a better hit and therefore a quicker kill.

I don't mean this as a complaint or attack on your data. We need to start somewhere, and what you have is interesting. I would just like to know more. It may strengthen our conclusions.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Hi5 wrote:I assume all data refers to whitetail deer.

It would have been nice to have had estimated distances at which the animal was shot. Also, what was the degree of penetration--whether or not there was a pass through? What was the bow used, and the arrow weight.

Brand name by itself is less significant than width of cut and depth of penetration. Some brands have differing weights and widths of cut for the same model of broadhead. Some bows are more powerfull, enabling a pass through, where others may not have the power.

It may also be usefull to know the experience level of the shooter. Maybe, just maybe, the more experienced hunter would be a better shot, or, a more patient hunter, getting a better hit and therefore a quicker kill.

I don't mean this as a complaint or attack on your data. We need to start somewhere, and what you have is interesting. I would just like to know more. It may strengthen our conclusions.
I like the way you think. However, there wasn't enough government funding to collect the data in the manner it needed to be collected. I left a message for Obama . . .awaiting his return call. :lol:

That's exactly why I have determined that the data is a good score card to see how well you hunt. Let's face it, most lost deer and long tracking jobs are because of human error somewhere along the line. All of these broadheads CAN kill deer, that's a fact.

Here are the questions you need to ask yourself as a hunter. Can I make this broadhead kill a deer? How efficient can I get the job done? Am I preparing the arrow correctly? Am I taking shots that are too long? Is everything set up correctly on my bow?

Just take the data for what it is, raw data. Sure, some assumptions can be made. Some educated guesses can be made. You can look at the averages of a certain type broadhead and compare to another type. All these things can lead you in the right direction.

However, what works great for one guy may not work for another and there are lots of reasons.

Yes . . .all data is based on Whitetail deer.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
secret

Post by secret »

Wheres the Wasp Hammers?
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I'm not "computer smart", or any kind of "smart" for that matter. I'm wondering, though, if we might not be able to develop a more comprehensive survey and then post it as a "sticky' here.

If we could develop the questionaire as sort of a "Poll format" maybe the information would automatically collate?
wabi

Post by wabi »

I see the recovery percentages slightly favor mechanicals (3% vs 4% not recovered).
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

secret wrote:Wheres the Wasp Hammers?
I have 11 kills in the Hammer section. They got an average recovery of 44.11 with none reported lost.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

wabi wrote:I see the recovery percentages slightly favor mechanicals (3% vs 4% not recovered).
I honestly think that has to do with the larger cutting surface. Which also translates into the shorter recoveries.

Typically, there's an open debate about the mechanical guys being younger, shooting longer ranges, taking bigger chances . . .yet, the data still favors the mechanicals.

The small bladed broadheads have the long recoveries . . .regardless of mechanical or fixed. That's why I think it's more an issue of cutting surface. A lot of the guys here that shoot mechanicals are shooting 1.5" or larger.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

sumner4991 wrote:Let's face it, most lost deer and long tracking jobs are because of human error somewhere along the line.
I can agree with you there. I shoot mechanicals for the large cut and accuracy at extended distance. By extended I'm referring to the 30-40 yard range. If you can get your fixed heads to hit dead on at 40 yards, then you've got a good combination.

This year I took five deer with archery gear and for the first time I didn't fire a shot over 25 yards. My longest shot was 23 yards and three were shot at 13 yards or closer. Surprisingly, I had deer travel quite a bit farther this year that I normally do. I completely smoked one at 20 yards and it traveled about 60 yards. I dropped the 23 yard deer with a spine shot. The three that were 13 yards or closer were all shot from treestands and all traveled between 125 and 150 yards. I hit at least one lung on all three of them and I'm certain all of them were on the ground quite quickly. I was just surprised to see them cover so much distance. Some deer are just more hardy than others.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: