Crossbows in WV? Call your legislators.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Crossbows in WV? Call your legislators.

Post by DuckHunt »

West Virginia is odd in a way with regard to their Natural Resources. Some states put the power of regulating and setting seasons and hunting methods in the hands of biologists and hunters. West Virginia manages a good portion of it at the State Legislature level (political level) in state code.

Right now crossbows are expressly prohibited in WV Code with an exception for disabled hunters. By expressly prohibited, it states that unless you have a disabled permit you cannot have a crossbow in the woods or field. Woods or field is a somewhat vague term in my opinion. I target practice in my yard with my crossbow. I live in the woods. I could be breaking the law as it is written. :roll:

Disabled is defined as someone with permanent and substantial loss of function of one or both hands, or one or both shoulders as determined by application of tests specified by the Legislature. Any disability other than hand(s) or shoulder(s) are not qualified. You can be missing both of your legs and be confined to a wheelchair but you would still not be qualified as disabled per the code to be allowed to use a crossbow. The laws our legislators pass some times are embarrassing.

For the past two years I have written my State Legislators requesting that they draft a bill removing the restrictions on crossbow use and to include them in the archery season. Last year my request fell on deaf ears though they confirmed they heard me. I even went so far as to provide them a pre-drafted bill and marked up the state code as it would need to be. No progress.

This year I made a more simple request and even offered up the possibility of creating a "crossbow stamp" that they could charge a fee for to raise money. That must have raised a few eyebrows. I see that a bill was introduced in the House (H. B. 2536) on 18 January to legalize crossbow use. It would include a "Class CB license" adding "the fee shall be at least $10". But the bill also states that the Natural Resources Director would be required to" designate a separate season for crossbow hunting".

It isn't exactly what I would prefer, but it is progress. Since the seasons are relatively short in WV compared to surrounding states, there are only two options for a separate crossbow season. One, shorten the archery season. Or two, run it concurrently with all or part of the archery season. I'm certain option one would never fly. Option two is the only reasonable solution.

I'll post updates if legal use by the masses becomes more of a reality in Gods' Country.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
frisky

Re: Crossbows in WV? Call your legislators.

Post by frisky »

Good luck with your mission. This time it sounds like they heard you. Keep up your hard work with the law makers. Your state isn't the only one that seems "funny" at times. (WI)
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
secret

Post by secret »

Good luck with that! You can always use a drawlock! LOL!!!!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Dash

Post by Dash »

It amazes me anyone over there can keep up with the hunting laws.
It seems like every state has different season dates, different animals to legally hunt, different weapons rules, different accesory rules (Scopes, rangefinders etc), different disability rules, the list goes on........ Soon we'll have to be lawyers to interpret the hunting laws and know whats going on :lol:
The federal and state politicians couldn't create a more complicated hunting system in a country if they tried !!!
Things are'nt great here either, but I supppose with only 7 states instead of 52, that alone helps keep things more simple.
Tired Rooster

Post by Tired Rooster »

Dash, we are a constitutional republic here in the U.S. Under greater attack now from within than ever before. We still (so far) are not controlled totally by a central government. Each state is intended to be sovereign and still is in many respects. I.E we govern ourselves. As far as game laws and hunting regulations are concerned, what works well or is wanted in one state, does not always work well in another. The game species and populations vary across the country. So do the attitudes of our people. Our states have great latitude, apart from our federal government, to set it's own laws in many areas. This enables the voice of our people to be heeded on a local level so that the federal government can't run rough shod over the citizens as if they know what is good for everyone. We do have, no doubt some really hair brained, stupid laws, but we also have the ability to change these laws. It can take time and be difficult, but we can and do bring about change very often at our state level. Happens all the time. Our form of self governance is being eroded more than ever in our history at the moment, but it has made us a free people for over 200 years. (we have 50 states)

Don't want to hijack the post, I apologize. Good luck to you all in West Virginia!!!
DEO VINDICE
Dash

Post by Dash »

Cheers for the reply rooster. Its sound like there are some positives to the state laws. Especially if the federal gov don't get it right.
Good luck in west virginia duckhunt !
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sounds like a bit of progress at least. I hope things keep moving in the right direction! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
MDBOWHUNTER

Post by MDBOWHUNTER »

Good luck with your effort. I have property in Hardy County and would sure like to take my Excal next year. Do you think input from a non-resident would help?
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

A "separate crossbow season" can still coincide with the regular archery season.

If they just place the crossbows in a gun or later season they wont sell any crossbow licenses.

Please point that out to them..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I heard back from my Delegate today. It appears that the Chairman of the Natural Resources Committee is not really interested in bills relating to crossbow use. It will take quite a few voices to make crossbows a reality in WV. WV will be no different than the battle in many other states except that we are historically slow to change any hunting regulation.

The WV Bowhunters' Association lists Continues to fight the battle against the expansion of crossbow use and seasons as one of their accomplishments. So once again fellow bow hunters are doing their best to keep my crossbow in its case.

DuckHunt
secret

Post by secret »

Call Ted Nugent !!!! He help us here In Pa!!! Its so hard to believe That Semi-Automatic Rifles are legal in Wv and crossbows are not!!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
knobby

Post by knobby »

I live in Ohio but hunt in WV every year on family farms.

I would enjoy the opportunity to use my Exocet there....

But the CB license thing makes me want to PUKE. Just what they need another license fee. Next thing ya know I will need a license to buy a license.

I think WV's rule n regs are crazy....especially the licensing. Reminds me of Feebay or sumthin.

Just sell me a dam deer license....tell me what the seasons and bag limits are and let me have at it.

I can see it now....give me a E....and ya a CS...oh and a H and let me see a NN...a RRG...a RRN....hmmm and a UU a VV ...a WW....oh ya and give me that new CB

This is not directed at you....but that is pure craziness and wayyyy more complicated than necessary. Why in the heck do they have it like that where you have to buy a separate license for each weapon used?

And to just flat out disallow crossbows in the woods PERIOD....what kind of nonsense is that? They sure sell a lot of them there. Every hunting store I have ever been in down there sells them. It is ok to use a 1000 yard rifle but not a crossbow.....hmmmm
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

knobby,
I feel your pain. They really make it difficult on non-residents. West Virginia is not alone in that department. Virginia isn't much better. I have to buy a hunting license ($86) then an additional license for deer/bear/turkey ($66) that is only good for modern guns. It costs additional if I want to hunt with my bow ($31), crossbow ($31) or muzzleloader ($31). Of course trapping is another license altogether($156).

Perhaps you'd like to hunt on a State Forrest ($16), Public Access Land for Sportsmen ($18) or a National Forest ($4).

Of course if you want to hunt migratory birds (geese/ducks/etc) you'll need a State ($10) and Federal ($15) duck stamp.

Its ridiculous. Hunting is fast becoming a rich mans' sport. And they wonder why hunters numbers are dropping.

DuckHunt
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

DuckHunt wrote:knobby,
I feel your pain. They really make it difficult on non-residents. West Virginia is not alone in that department. Virginia isn't much better. I have to buy a hunting license ($86) then an additional license for deer/bear/turkey ($66) that is only good for modern guns. It costs additional if I want to hunt with my bow ($31), crossbow ($31) or muzzleloader ($31). Of course trapping is another license altogether($156).

Perhaps you'd like to hunt on a State Forrest ($16), Public Access Land for Sportsmen ($18) or a National Forest ($4).

Of course if you want to hunt migratory birds (geese/ducks/etc) you'll need a State ($10) and Federal ($15) duck stamp.

Its ridiculous. Hunting is fast becoming a rich mans' sport. And they wonder why hunters numbers are dropping.

DuckHunt
Wow, I thought we were expensive. Please don't show this to our goverment! LOL
knobby

Post by knobby »

DuckHunt wrote:knobby,

DuckHunt
I just do not understand why states do this....only explanation that comes to mind is greed.

They would make me a happy camper if they would just simplify things down to ....sell me a deer license and tell me the seasons and bag limits.

I would like to hear their explanation of why it has to be so complicated. They will tell you that ignorance of the law is no excuse....but when you practically need a lawyer to buy your licenses for you I say ignorance is a dam good excuse.

Sorry officer....I did not realize that if I bought a UU to go with my E and I wanted to CS after YYing during the H season that I would also need a WW with an attached ABCD to kill a doe while BBing for a buck with my FF.

LOL I know how dumb that sounds but its how I feel going hunting there.