Best 2" plus Mechanical Broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Horizontal Hunter

Best 2" plus Mechanical Broadhead

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I shoot the Slick Trick and NAP Spitfire ( both in 125g) out of my Exocet and I am happy with both heads in the roles that they fill for me. I tend to use the Slick Tricks for shorter distances in thicker areas and the Spitfires in more open areas. After reading Scott's broadhead data thread and seeing that the average distance that deer traveled after being shot with the 2" Trophy Ridge Strycknine was 18.7 yards really got my attention, and of course got me thinking. What do you think is the best 2" plus mechanical broadhead on the market today?

Thanks,

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
DuckHunt

Re: Best 2" plus Mechanical Broadhead

Post by DuckHunt »

It doesn't surprise me that the Strycknine performed well. During their free broadhead giveaway last year I tried the Trophy Ridge Hammerhead. Its a 100 grain 2" head. I actually like the longer tip of the Strycknine better, but its a 125 grain head.

I shot a doe with the Hammerhead at 30 yards with my ExoMax and the broadhead performance was amazing. The deer was practically poleaxed. She fell then stumbled and tumbled down hill about 30 yards before coming to a rest. There was blood everywhere.

Since I prefer a 100 grain tip, I've settled on the Trophy Ridge Sidewinder which looks just like the Strycknine but with a 1.5" cut.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

My vote goes to the rage two blade. Although I don't shoot them my nephew does and they do nasty things to critters!!!
I don't like the way the blades set in the o-ring...forever slipping out, that makes them lose a few points in my book!!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Gwens Dilemma

Post by Gwens Dilemma »

I have an older carved tip Exomag and can't shoot Spitfires out of the pack. They tend to open on me and cause real erratic flight. I haven't tried to "O" ring them but have stayed with Wasp cam locks fixed blade. I usually only have a 75 yard max recovery with a lung shot, heart shot is closer. BTW i keep my shots at 30 yards and less.
Cheers
Dave
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

georgiaboy wrote:My vote goes to the rage two blade. Although I don't shoot them my nephew does and they do nasty things to critters!!!
I don't like the way the blades set in the o-ring...forever slipping out, that makes them lose a few points in my book!!!
This is what I do:
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

The only mechanical I have experience with is the Rage 2 blade.
I has done the job quite nicely and I am very pleases with them.
I need to pick me up some of those elastics the wheelie is using to ensure they stay close when handling them.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I shoot with them on also. Have never had a problem with them not opening.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I only have experience with the Stricknine and the Hammerhead. Both have worked awesome for me.

Vortex, NAP, and Grim Reaper all have 2" cut or better in a three blade. There may be more out there.

***Spitfires are great shooting broadheads, but, not a 2" cut. I use dental elastics on all my mechanicals.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

I think you should definitely take a look at the Swhackers.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

sumner4991 wrote:I only have experience with the Stricknine and the Hammerhead. Both have worked awesome for me.

Vortex, NAP, and Grim Reaper all have 2" cut or better in a three blade. There may be more out there.

***Spitfires are great shooting broadheads, but, not a 2" cut. I use dental elastics on all my mechanicals.
I have been happy with the Spitfires but I want to try one of these large cut mechanicals to see what kind of hole they make and how far the deer go. I will have to pick up a pack of one of these to try next season.

Thank You all for the info.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
TenRingBullsEye

Post by TenRingBullsEye »

When using a 125grain 2 blade Rage broadhead. Does anyone out there have to use anything other than the standard orings in order to keep them closed in flight, or is anyone having problems with them opening in flight. I am shooting an Axiom crossbow.

There can be only one crossbow - Excalibur
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

TenRingBullsEye wrote:When using a 125grain 2 blade Rage broadhead. Does anyone out there have to use anything other than the standard orings in order to keep them closed in flight, or is anyone having problems with them opening in flight. I am shooting an Axiom crossbow.
I've had a blade shake loose while putting them in or removing them from the quiver but I always check them before loading them in my Vortex to be sure they are seated correctly.
I have never had one open in flight, that I am aware of.
As mentioned earlier some use a dental elastic around the front of the blades for extra insurance that they stay closed while being handled and shot.
Look back through the thread and there is a picture of the dental elastic around the Rage blades.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
WTB

Post by WTB »

Vortex all the way!!!

I am looking at the Vortex Scope. Anybody checked thier scopes out??