How big is to big?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FredBear

How big is to big?

Post by FredBear »

I seen the thread about the new 3 inch plus cutting broadhead. My question is how big is to big? Add in that most guys shoot light arrows/bolts because speed is marketed as "sexy". So matching a 3 inch cutting serface with already light arrow/bolts. How much penatration will you be getting? Will you make it through any bone?
sumner4991

Re: How big is to big?

Post by sumner4991 »

Too big is when your set-up can not make a complete pass through. Most of these large broadheads are not designed to cut through bone. The blades are made to bend around the bone and keep cutting. However, the new one from NAP has some thick blades, they may not bend.

Anyway, it's relatively easy to get a complete pass through with today's high powered bows. You can easily add a little weight to your arrow if needed and still have very good speed.

Based on my experience, a 2.5 inch cut on a three blade broadhead would be plenty big . . .however, I'd like to try a 3", three blade.

I've witnessed "sit down" power with the 2" cut, three blade Stricknines. The cut is so devastating, the deer just want to sit down immediately. That's on a double lung shot. It really takes the wind out of their sails.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen