Broadhead data

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bob1961

Re: Broadhead data

Post by bob1961 »

the 4 deer i have gotten since i went to slick trick 125 mag's when i went to my exocet xbow in 2008 have traveled 476 yards total with a 126.5 avg yards traveled after hit....total yards shoot is 110yards with those 4 shots with a 25.5 yards avg shots, one at 10 yds which ran 450 yds, one at 20 yds which ran 20 yds, one at 30 yds ran 30 yds and the one at 50 yds only ran 6 yds....the 10 yard shot was at a spooked deer that my buddy pushed to me and saw me at last possible second i pulled trigger....if it didn't see me i doubt it would have ran that far....yardage she ran and her stride told us she was at full throttle the whole way and still covered and died within 20 seconds....all 4 deer died with a total of 56 seconds using the slick trick 125gr mags, pretty impressive if ya ask me.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bob1961 wrote:the 4 deer i have gotten since i went to slick trick 125 mag's when i went to my exocet xbow in 2008 have traveled 476 yards total with a 126.5 avg yards traveled after hit....total yards shoot is 110yards with those 4 shots with a 25.5 yards avg shots, one at 10 yds which ran 450 yds, one at 20 yds which ran 20 yds, one at 30 yds ran 30 yds and the one at 50 yds only ran 6 yds....the 10 yard shot was at a spooked deer that my buddy pushed to me and saw me at last possible second i pulled trigger....if it didn't see me i doubt it would have ran that far....yardage she ran and her stride told us she was at full throttle the whole way and still covered and died within 20 seconds....all 4 deer died with a total of 56 seconds using the slick trick 125gr mags, pretty impressive if ya ask me.........bob

450+20+30+6=506

Not that a deer can't go 450 yards in 20 seconds, but, they typically choose not to, unless a buck is on their arse. I wouldn't feel good about advertising the 56 second total, but, I know you like your Slick Tricks. They are my favorite fixed blade too.

Don't let what you know keep you from learning what you need to know.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
phil

Post by phil »

Thanks for doing all that work for us!..very interesting. dont want to drive you crazy but any info on my thunderhead 125's?...im stuck on them. thanks again! :D
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
cevans

Post by cevans »

hummm,,,this is going to make me try the X-act mechanical broadhead, and I have , all my life, used a fixed broadhead. This forum is going to make me experiment with those now. lol :lol:
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

sumner4991 wrote:
450+20+30+6=506

Not that a deer can't go 450 yards in 20 seconds, but, they typically choose not to, unless a buck is on their arse. I wouldn't feel good about advertising the 56 second total, but, I know you like your Slick Tricks. They are my favorite fixed blade too.

Don't let what you know keep you from learning what you need to know.
yeah brain fart on my math, and i used a calc too :roll: :lol: ....i know there is more to learn over what i do know now....every new shot on my next deer will be a new learning experience each and every time....of the 3 deer not going over 30 yards, i seen 2 go down in sight and one within ear shot and heard the crash....i have seen deer with the stride of my 450 yard runner crossing an open dirt field covering 500 yards within 20 seconds being chased by me and a buddy on our dirt bikes....we had that deer running a straight line cause we were both on it's right and left flank bout 10 feet behind it the whole way....that buck wanted nothing to do with us and did a straight line full throttle run trying to get outta dodge as fast as possible, never tried to zig zag on us once.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

phil . . .I have three with Thunderheads, not sure about the weight. Two went 30 yards and one went 200.

cevans . . .I only have one reported kill with the X-acts and it went 30 yards.

I want to thank all the guys for supplying all the information. If you have not reported your kills and want to add data, then send me a pm.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
cevans

Post by cevans »

I don't have any kills with a crossbow yet. When I do, you will be the first to know, but my season won't begin till Oct 1, 2011. Your results is going to cause me to test alot tho. So far, with the bow sighted in and shooting dead on at 10 to 50 yrds, I am finding that the 150g Bolt cutters shoot 1 3/4 inches low and the 125g slick tricks shoot 1/2 in. low dead center out of my exomax at 30 yrds. Haven't had the time to test any other yardages other than at 20 they both shot about 1/4 to 1/2 inch low of dead center. I definitely want to shoot 40 and 50 to see any diff. and will shoot the 100g grizz tricks then the X - act Mechanical and see how they all fly using a 335g carbon arrow.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
Michael Stogre

Post by Michael Stogre »

I am wondering how people calculated the recovery distance? Looking back on the bolt cutter entries I made last year I
think my estimates were quite subjective. What techniques or tools do people use for this estimation? Should we recommend
a standard way of doing things?

MJS
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

Michael Stogre wrote:I am wondering how people calculated the recovery distance? Looking back on the bolt cutter entries I made last year I
think my estimates were quite subjective. What techniques or tools do people use for this estimation? Should we recommend
a standard way of doing things?

MJS
i used a topo map to find how far my 450 yarder traveled....i knew where i shot her and the beaver pond she died in was on the map, then just used the maps scale distance ruler in the bottom corner :wink: ....the other deer i just paced off the distance from where they where standing to where they dropped, short ones were easy :lol: ....but i will be getting a range finder soon enough.......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Michael Stogre wrote:I am wondering how people calculated the recovery distance?
I have been using my rangefinder and I know others that have also used their rangefinders. Works great when the deer fall within sight. Most just estimate the yardage, giving it their best efforts. Some have stepped off the distance.

I feel like we as archery hunters have a better than average feel for distance. I'll bet most are within a few yards one way or another.

It would be nice to have a group of data gatherers that take exact yardages. Maybe we should have a sign up and get folks from several websites. It would be a great experiment.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Michael Stogre

Post by Michael Stogre »

Recently, I bought a Bushnell backtrack device which keeps track of distance. this would probably work well. Regular
GPS devices I assume do the same?

MJS
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)