Getting weight up

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Missin

Getting weight up

Post by Missin »

I'm moving in a couple of weeks and the usual goats will no longer be on the agenda. From now on it will be foxes, rabbits, dogs and camels. Current arrows will be right for everything but the camels.

I the current arrows are about 400grain that's with 20inch arrows, 2 inch blazers, 125grain BH and standard inserts and knocks. IM thinking i will need around 600 grain??

I have got some arrows and left them at 22inches this time but that's only an extra 22.6grain. I cant get heavier BH's or brass inserts at the moment so what or some other things i can do? One thing that came to my mind was fill the arrows with sand or add some smaller inserts in there.
wheelie

Re: Getting weight up

Post by wheelie »

I am certainly not an expert in the arrow game but this is only a suggestion. With my recurve I have 125 grain brass inserts in 2117 arrows. I then run 100 grain hunting heads. Not sure what sizes they make the brass inserts or even if it would work in a crossbow. But for my recurves they fly gr8 with 225 grains upfront. I am sure Bill T would know, he shoots big African game from elephents , girraffs ect.
I do know for fishing some put 5/16 fish arrows inside of 2213 arrows. They claim they shoot deeper in the water than a strait fibre glass arrow because of the weight and less drag. Sounds like you are thinking along the right lines, I would go inserts before sand. I try to keep sand away from my bows. LOL Again, they do it with vertical bows but crossbows would be the same I would think.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I don't think you need to go that heavy, unless you want to of course.
Moose, which I would compare size wise to a camel, are taken regularily with archery equipment.
I think you'd get a pass thru with an arrow in the high 400 gr area without any trouble as long as you don't hit bone.
Just my thoughts. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I ain`t no pro on this but I agree a moose is comparable to a camel .
I know people have with success used 2219`s which weigh somewhere in the 13 grains per inch .
I know of a person whom hunted in Africa and used a carbon shaft inside of his aluminum shaft . He had to use a two blade cut on impact broadhead for the Cape Buffalo .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
deerhunter65

Post by deerhunter65 »

3rivers archery sells weight tubes that fit inside you're arrow and will
add whatever you want.
Excal Exomax
Excal Vortex
Barnett Predator
Too many bolts
Too many guns
GETTING TOO DAMN OLD
cevans

Post by cevans »

Rember that for years, people have been going to Africa, Canada, Russia, everywhere, hunting for years with a recurve and arrows and broadheads you had to sharpen, then along came compound bows, the first being made by Allen, and better aluminum arrows, and cheap mass produced broadheads we all thought were the best made ever, now you have so advanced bows, arrows, and the crossbow that Excalibur has made and others have copied, with the technology in arrows and broadheads of today. We broke the 200fps barrier, then 250 and so on. I personally think, if you shoot a 500 grain arrow with a strong broadhead, you will kill anything that moves. The fps the Excaliburs shoot and moreso the ft. pounds of shock energy that the arrow delievers is the key to the kill. Look at your charts, 100lbs of energy being delievered by a 20 inch shaft. Shoot what you want,,if you hit in properly in the kill zone, Your going to kill it with a Excalibur. I have been around the archery industry more than 35 years shooting, and I really don't think you have anything to worry about.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
Missin

Post by Missin »

Thanks for that guys. I guess i will stick with the current set up and see what sort of penetration it gets if you think it will be suffeciant. If not then i have some ideas to play with.

I looked at the 3rivers site and it did give me an idea, glue a nail in behind the insert.

Having a bad shot on game is one thing, but seeing it run off with an arrow barley penetrated would be the worst thing.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

How do they recommend glueing the nail in the arrow?
I'm wondering if it would cause the arrow to wobble due to a balance issue once it starts spinning, assuming the vanes are fletched with helical.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Missin

Post by Missin »

It's not what they recommended. Its was just an idea that i had after looking at the site. The weight tubes like good for experimenting though.
Dash

Post by Dash »

I agree, I think that the vortex has enough speed with the the arrows you have now to get a pass through. The proof is in the pudding though.
If when your there, you find you still want to add weight, does the station have any internet access to order some inserts ? If you think you may need something sent out there, and need some help organizing it, give me call mate.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Missin wrote:It's not what they recommended. Its was just an idea that i had after looking at the site. The weight tubes like good for experimenting though.
I just read in another post where a member (enormous) epoxy's an 8/32" allen screw into the back of the front insert to add weight.
That seem like a good idea as well and you could increase the weight as needed by using longer screws.
The screw would also be centred inside the shaft so rotation would stay true.
Cool idea.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads