shockwave broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dwilley

shockwave broadheads

Post by dwilley »

I'm still trying to figure out what broadheads to use with my 20" firebolts. At first I didn't really consider mechanicals, but, having read a bunch of previous posts I'm now thinking I should. I have 100 grain shockwave mechanicals for my compound, I haven't shot them yet. I got them when the nice young clerk at Gander Mountain looked at my Auminum Easton xx75 2213's with 100 grain, rocket steelheads, that I wanted to buy more of, and told me "Oh my God, they're ancient, nobody uses them anymore!". I could have slapped him :wink:
I ended up buying a 3 pack of 100 grain shockwaves, as they looked most like what I had been shooting. (I now find steelheads are still readily available. Curse the child!)
I searched on the forum for shockwave broadheads and found the 2010 post from Duck Hunt. He seems to have experienced what I did with the last deer I shot with my vertical bow using the broadhead in the picture, namely, not much of a blood trail. The deer only ran 80 yards, but there was not a spot of blood on the ground until I got to where it lay. When I field dressed it I found all the blood inside.
So now, I'm wondering if I could use the same broadheads for both my compound and my Ibex, and if I can, whether 100 grain shockwaves would actually be a good choice.
I should add that I really like my practice and hunting arrows to have the same point of impact, hence the wondering about mechanicals. I'm even wondering about shooting 100 grain X-ACT broadheads from my vertical bow. Does anyone out there have experience with shockwaves, or using X-ACTs with a vertical bow, etc. they'd care to share? Or even "stop messing around and just buy a pack of (insert brand)". It would be much appreciated, the advice given me on the Boss by Wasp certainly was, many thanks,
cheers,
David
Last edited by dwilley on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DuckHunt

Re: shockwave broadheads

Post by DuckHunt »

I'm glad I read this post. I made a mistake in the post you read. I was not shooting a Shockwave on that hunt. It was actually a Sidewinder broadhead.

I have used Shockwave heads, but not in the past five years. The ones I used worked fine. My only complaint was with the size of the chisel tip. Compared to other heads, its HUGE. I can't help but wonder how much the extra large tip could be hurting penetration. It wouldn't be an issue on a heavy arrow or with a heavy draw weight, but I've also shot them on light arrows out of a compound bow. I decided to go with a broadhead with a finer tip.

I do shoot the same broadheads with my compound bow and my crossbow. The Rocket/Trophy Ridge Sidewinder is real similar to the NAP Shockwave but with a smaller point and a larger cut. The Shockwave is 1.25" and the Sidewinder has a 1.5" cut.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Booner

Post by Booner »

The pic of a broadhead you have on your post sure looks like a rocket steelhead to me? I have used the 100 grain rocket steelhead for at least 10 years with my bow and they have never let me down.I now use them with my equinox and have had no problems at all.They shoot great and will put them down fast the two bucks I shot with them this last season both went down in less then 70 yds.
dwilley

Post by dwilley »

Booner wrote:The pic of a broadhead you have on your post sure looks like a rocket steelhead to me? ...........
Good eyes Booner, it is indeed a steehead, thanks for nudging my memory. It's usually like a steel trap, you know, rusty and illegal in lots of places, :wink:
cheers,
David