good small game broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bcmuledeer

good small game broadhead

Post by bcmuledeer »

i am hoping someone will be able to recommend a good small game broadhead. I have heard there is a broadhead that will spring the arrow straight in the air after hitting the ground, is there such a thing. I will be mainly hunting game birds, grouse, ducks ect. I'm hoping not to donate too many arrows. thanks for all the help you guys and gals are giving this bowhunting newbie.
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
Dash

Re: good small game broadhead

Post by Dash »

VB's "Varmit Busters come in 125 and 150 gr. I haven't lost one or ruined one yet, and had over 60 kills (I haven't used them in rocky areas yet ). You can straighten the cross on a vise if it gets bent, and the standard small field tips hold them in. Seriously tough, simple desighn, but they work really well.
The cross stops them digging into the ground. Up to 30meters they hit the same spot as the excal field tips, . I keep all small game shots under 35m, so I can't say if POI could change much with longer shots.
Rabbit V Varmit buster S.jpg
Howies Varmit Buster S.jpg
End of the road

Post by End of the road »

I use the Zwickey Judo Point. If you miss your target the spring loaded arms catch on grass and brush to stop the arrow and many times will stand it up. I've got a few bunnies with them without losing an arrow. They are available in most archery stores I've been to and come in different weights to match you field point or broadhead. Best part is that they are only about $6 or so.
masboy

Post by masboy »

i like that that thing looks down rite mean.bet that rabbit thought so.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

These are called adders, got them on E-BAY cheap, haven't tried them yet, they have good reviews, good luck

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
masboy

Post by masboy »

wicked looking what do you shoot them into for practice to see where they hit.not a bag but mabey a old block target? how do they shoot?guess i should haveread a little more of your post before asking these questions. wife says i,m half stupid i guess shes right.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

masboy wrote:wicked looking what do you shoot them into for practice to see where they hit.not a bag but mabey a old block target? how do they shoot?

The one i shot was close enough to bare fpoint on the target, you may get two shots out of these thats why they're cheap.Want to use on turkey soon.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Thanks guys. I really like the judo points, good reviews on it. can't wait for hunting seasons :twisted:
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I am testing these new heads. you put them behind field points. So far I really like them for under 50 cents a piece. They are not really sharp but could be sharpened if you wanted. Don't want to shoot geese with my Rage2 blades on geese when deer hunting. They weigh 32 grains.

Not sure what they are worth now as I bought 40 of them as a christmas special for $25.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Those look interesting Wheelie! Let us know how they work for you.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

G5 has about the best i have ever used for small game heads.
"DON'T BE SCARED JUST GET A BOO"
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS
Bohning Blazer Vanes Rock
Dash

Post by Dash »

hankenhunter wrote:Hey Dash,
Off topic but do people tease you about your Fav. hat? I have one just like yours and when I wear
it I get called Gilligan. On topic the small game heads that dash showed work awesome! The softer
steel bends instead of breaking and can be bent back. Hav'nt lost an arrow since. Kills instantly on
impact,and stands up like a drill seargent if you miss.
Happy Shootin,
Hank
Good to hear you've tried them hank. Yeah it is a bit of a Gilligans hat ! But anything to stop my solar panel getting sunburned :lol:
That photo was one of the early ones taken on a mates property. We used to sit in deck chairs with a beer in one hand, equinox on the lap. They weren't even scared of me then. Now that all the dumb rabbits have met the equinox, only the cunning ones are left. No more sitting on my ass anymore! I have to wear a new camo hat n stuff and stalk them. They've been so touch and nervous lately, .
The equinox and the VB's make a great combo. Although Its a bit like baseball batting a mouse :shock: , maybe a bit of overkill. But its always instant :lol:
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Darren,
That sounds like fun, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Raymond
Big John

Post by Big John »

I use the Shwickey spring heads. Fairly cheap and work great. Especially with Turkey.
If your going to Grouse hunt be careful what you use. Very easy to ruin the meat, and you want all of it.
It doesn't take much to kill Grouse, head shots are best. I've killed them with only one #6 pellet from a 20 ga. shot gun.
Grouse are may favorite Bird to hunt, as in the limit in my avatar, always will be!
Some people use blunts as well and kill them with trauma. But it again ruins alot of meat with bad bruising.
But, it is Great Fun though with Excalibur!!

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Tired Rooster

Post by Tired Rooster »

Dash wrote:We used to sit in deck chairs with a beer in one hand, equinox on the lap. They weren't even scared of me then. Now that all the dumb rabbits have met the equinox, only the cunning ones are left
You sound like you would fit in well with me and my "mates" Dash. Thats funny. :lol: Sounds like it's time to move to a new spot where that rabbits have been unmolested so that you can assume your favored (I'm sure) method of hunting. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Take care!
DEO VINDICE