Crossbow differences

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mountainxbow

Crossbow differences

Post by mountainxbow »

My Equinox has been a great source of enjoyment for the past couple of months and I am considering a second Excalibur. I use a crank to cock my bow, so cocking fatigue is not an issue. Are there any other advantages to getting one of the models with a 175 or 200 pound bow? I would like opinions from folks who shoot different models often, and can relate their experience. Thanks!
Vormax

Re: Crossbow differences

Post by Vormax »

mountainxbow wrote:My Equinox has been a great source of enjoyment for the past couple of months and I am considering a second Excalibur. I use a crank to cock my bow, so cocking fatigue is not an issue. Are there any other advantages to getting one of the models with a 175 or 200 pound bow? I would like opinions from folks who shoot different models often, and can relate their experience. Thanks!
Here's my personal path :

- Started with a Vortex, shot if a lot but wanted to have more power after 2 months.
- Purchased an Exomax. Shot it a lot and learned pretty quick how to re-serve...got sick of re-serving, bent arrows, blown up targets, back pain and a set of new limbs after a year
- Purchased a Vixen with the straight riser. Shot it a lot. Not enough power in the end.
- Purchased a Phoenix. Shoot it a lot and am happy with it. No re-serving, arrows last way longer and I do not have to jump on the target every other day to get it back in shape. Installed the S5 with a FFF. Nice setup. Should have bought the Phoenix in the beginning, but then I would have probably taken the other way round (Phoenix->Vortex->Exomax->Vixen->Phoenix) to end up again with the Phoenix.

In the end, do not look for reasons, just buy the bows ;-) There is always a good reason to pick one up ;-) .....had a look at an Axiom SMF yesterday. Riser seems to be the same material as the rail. Did not like it at all in the beginning, but that may change and develop into a good reason to buy an Axiom SMF. Price with scope, quiver,...is 499.- Not too bad ;-)

Have fun and shoot plenty.
mountainxbow

Post by mountainxbow »

Vormax, thanks for relating such helpful experience.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Vormax wrote:
mountainxbow wrote:
In the end, do not look for reasons, just buy the bows ;-) There is always a good reason to pick one up ;-)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Vormax, I love your avatar and your reasoning!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Vormax:
Why did you need a new set of limbs after a year of using the exomax? a dryfire I assume?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
strum

Post by strum »

one shot scott wrote:Vormax:
Why did you need a new set of limbs after a year of using the exomax? a dryfire I assume?
I had the same question,,,we want answers!! :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Vormax

Post by Vormax »

Boo wrote:
Vormax wrote:
mountainxbow wrote:
In the end, do not look for reasons, just buy the bows ;-) There is always a good reason to pick one up ;-)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Vormax, I love your avatar and your reasoning!
Thanks Boo !!!!! I feel honored :D It was actually you who showed me how to re-serve. As far as I can remember I found your instructions on another forum. Worked pretty good actually.
Last edited by Vormax on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vormax

Post by Vormax »

strum wrote:
one shot scott wrote:Vormax:
I had the same question,,,we want answers!! :lol:
Negative, no dryfire. The left limb started to develop a little splinter on the inside. Was shooting the bow one day and saw it. No idea when it actually started and if it had been there for a while. I shoot xcal 2219 with 125gr field tip, total of approx 462 gr. Nothing fancy or too light.

Well, I got in touch with Excal and asked if the little splinter is a problem. They told me not really but also offered to change the limbs. So I dropped the bow at the factory and picked it up 30min later with a set of new limbs. Just GREAT service, that's all I can say !

In the end, knowing what I know today about the bows it was absolutely unnecessary to change the limbs. Needless to say that my next bow will be an Excalibur.....
strum

Post by strum »

The more i hear, the more im thinking about a lower poundage model..
anybody want to trade their Ibex ,or exocet for a exomax? just fishin..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Boo

Post by Boo »

strum wrote:The more i hear, the more im thinking about a lower poundage model..
No, no, no, no! You must have at least 2 Excaliburs! :mrgreen: Repeat after me! My wife won't say anything, my wife won't notice, my wife wants me to be happy, my wife likes to see me smile! :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

strum wrote:The more i hear, the more im thinking about a lower poundage model..
Works really well when you buy a new one, stick it under the bed for a week, and then bring it out and say," had it a long time. Thought I showed it to you already!" It works good. Need more than one, expecally if you have a high poundage bow. Once you get so many, then they don't even notice anymore. TRUST ME! That not right Boo?
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

mountainxbow wrote:My Equinox has been a great source of enjoyment for the past couple of months and I am considering a second Excalibur. I use a crank to cock my bow, so cocking fatigue is not an issue. Are there any other advantages to getting one of the models with a 175 or 200 pound bow? I would like opinions from folks who shoot different models often, and can relate their experience. Thanks!
Think your best bet would be a 175 lbs. model. Easy on strings, easy to cock and fun to shoot. You likely would end up only hunting with your big bow for deer and larger.
Badapple

Post by Badapple »

Vormax
Did you find any difference going from thumbhole to a traditional stock.I'm also interested in purchasing either a Phoenix or Ibex just cant decide which model. Tested them both just not sure which route to take?
Vormax

Post by Vormax »

Actually pretty funny the discussions a few inches in "rail length" can cause..... :D

Fact is, if you shoot a lot you will appreciate the lower poundage models sooner or later.

In the end they all hurt if you do not keep your thumb down or slip out of the stirrup while cocking. :shock:
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

I have a vortex, and just got an axiom..(aluminum rail). I love shooting both. Both are dead nuts on. I will use the vortex for deer season and shoot the Axiom year round. And use it for a backup or "lend" to the guy with the sweet property :). Either way 2 Excals are better than 1. Do I smell a third? Can't go wrong with the 175 or 200 lb.models.
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts