A day i will never forget

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Archer Ontario

A day i will never forget

Post by Archer Ontario »

As the alarm went off at 430 in the morning I lay there, more excited than a kid at christmas.
You see, today was going to be a very special day, I was going to get to take my 12 year old son Theiran on his first bowhunt.
I had made a promise to him that if he passed his hunter apprenticeship test I would do everything I could to get him his first deer, with his crossbow.
Well in late Augest Theiran came good on his part of the deal getting 98 percent on each, his F.A.C and hunters safety test.
As I walked toward his room expecting to have to fight to wake Theiran up, I was surprised by a "good morning dad", he was already up and dressed !!!
As we loaded the truck and headed to my favorite place to bowhunt, Howe Island, I coached him on everything I could possible think of just one last time before we climbed into the tree stand.
On the ferry ride over to the Island, some other hunters were chatting it up about how many deer guys were seeing and the number of coyotes as well. When they all found out this was going to be Theirans first bowhunt they were all smiles. Many told stories of there first deer hunts and all gave him advice on his big day. When everybody cleared out an older gentleman 78 years young stepped up to Theiran and shook his hand and gave him a turkey feather for good luck. He told Theiran how lucky he was to have a father that shares the outdoors with him, and all the things he was going to experience.
Once we landed on the island and rounded the corner we drove onto the farm and all the memories of my first hunt with my dad came to mind. I shared that story with Theiran on the way to the treestand.
As we waited for day break the sounds of the woods filled our ears, coyotes howling, turkeys gobbling, mallards flying over head this was truely heaven.
As day broke and the woods started to come alive we were pleasently entertained by a parade of wildlife passing by our stand. A big male coyote emerged from the swamp and picked his way down the ridge followed by a fisher. I turned to Theiran and told him this is what hunting is all about, its not the harvest but the experiences we encounter along the way.
Everything was perfect, the wind was right it was clear, cold and the woods were alive. Theiran grabbed his grunt tube and gave a few calls and 30 seconds later we could hear something coming our way. I motioned for Theiran to get ready and as he stood up and steadied himself a small fawn appeared from the trail followed by another. I peered over to look at him and all I could see was big beads of sweat hanging from his forehead, his eyes were like silver dollars, and was he ever shaking. The 2 deer fed to 8 yards in front of us and walked right past, I whispered "why didnt you shoot?" , a weak little voice answered "I see a bigger one coming- they were too small".
On his first hunt I was very impressed on how he was handling himself, and he passed on the first 2 deer! 10 seconds later a big doe stepped out and headed our way, Theiran readied for the shot he "blatted" and stopped her at 22 yards and I gave him the ok to shoot, and that he did. As we watched the arrow pass through the deer, we could hardly contain our excitement, we saw her go down in just 30 yards.
Tears filled my eyes and I got a lump in my throat, I spun and gave my son a great big hug he looked at me and yelled "We did it dad!!!"
As we climbed down and followed the trail to his first deer I couldnt have been prouder. At that moment I had just passed on the tradition of the sport I love from father to son.

Archer Ontario

Re: A day i will never forget

Post by Archer Ontario »

Archer Ontario

Post by Archer Ontario »

Normous

Post by Normous »

That was exciting! My wish is many more father and son hunts like that!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Awesome, :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D . It brings back memories, :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D .
Thanks for sharing and congratulations.
Raymond
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Brought back some fond memories and a few tears also, thanks for the best post thats been here for awhile.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
frisky

Post by frisky »

Cool...Congrats Guys :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

Congrats to you and your son!! I only hope that one day I have a similiar story to tell!! :D
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Congrats to both of you! Awsome!
Crispy
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Thats a day you both will always remember..Awesome and Congrats on the success
gmwoodturner

Post by gmwoodturner »

Priceless and hope you have many more days like that
isn't life great and so is my wife.She lets me go hunting to
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

When I started reading this thread I honestly thought it was going to be a "kid kills first deer with rifle" story. I'm thrilled to see your boy scored with an arrow and not a bullet. He did it the hard way. Pat that kid on the head for me and tell him "good job"! Gary
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

nice!!!!!!!!!!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:D FANTASTIC !!! :D
That is a memory that will live forever between the two of you . I still remember my first deer and sharing it with my dad . :)
Thank you for sharing it with us
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I must say sir that is the only post that I have read here that made me get a little moist around the eye's!!!
Reading your story reminded me of my son's first deer hunt. He is 26 now and will graduate college in may! Enjoy these moments with your son for they will be behind you to soon, time surely does march on.
God Bless!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"