Excal scopes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gundog

Excal scopes

Post by gundog »

I was wondering how bang on are the scopes? Sight it in at 20 yarrds and back off to 50. Adjust speed tell your spot on. The Question I have is how does arrow weight affect the in between 30,40 settings. Would some arrows hit a little different because of their weight at the 30 and 40 mark? Or is it so little that it would not matter?
Conserve game hunt with a trained dog
georgiaboy

Re: Excal scopes

Post by georgiaboy »

Both my lumizone's are dead nutz on!! Once I sighted in at twenty yds I backed off to 40...used speed ring to zero, adjust higher if hitting high, lower if hitting low. Once on at 40yds checked 30/50...both were on.
When you adjust at 20/40 you are adjusting for the weight of that arrow...anything heavier or lighter will throw you off...how much should depend on weight difference's.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
gundog

Post by gundog »

So if you sighted in with a different weight arrow would it also be bang on? Would different arrow weights not fall at a differnt rate or does their formula work for all weights at all distances?
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I'm far from the scope guru on this forum...but from what I have read this is my understanding how it works.
You sight in at 20yds regardless of arrow weight. When you move out to 40 and start adjusting the speed ring it increases or decreases the distance between the chevrons. So arrow weight should not matter...380gr or 600gr, principle is the same.
If you change anything on arrow...weight / fletching etc. It will affect poi .
If I'm wrong somebody here will set us both straight!!! Lol
Hope this help's !!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Dash

Post by Dash »

You're right on georgiaboy.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Speed dial doesn't move the twenty crosshairs, only the 30,40 and 50 chevrons.
gundog

Post by gundog »

I realize the twenty mark would not move. The part I do not get is the chevrons would move the same for all weight arrows. Would there not be a little difference in the distance the chevrons move for different arrow weight or is it just so little tha it does not matter. A slow arrow and fast arrow would fall at different places would they not. They would fall at the same rate but the faster one would travel farther in the same amount of time?
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

If I understand you correctly gundog the chevrons work for different weight arrows.
They would be set differently for a 380 gr arrow than they would for a 475 gr arrow but work effectively for either weight once set correctly.
As long as you always shoot the same weight arrow that you sighted the scope in with you will be good.
If you sight in with one weight and then shoot a heavier/lighter arrow they will have a different point of impact.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
dwilley

Post by dwilley »

In the absence of air resistance, all projectiles that start off moving in the same direction at the same speed will have identical flight paths, regardless of their weight, it's called "free fall." But arrows are not without air resistance, so in air, lighter arrows do tend to slow down more quickly than heavy arrows, but vane size and type will also affect the situation, think “flu-flus.” It's the ratio of the air resistance to the mass of the object that it acts on that's important. Which means that it is unlikely that arrows of different weights will fly the same as each other, but it also means that arrows that only differ in their fletching will also show slight differences. Maybe not enough to notice, given that none of us, nor our bows, can really put arrow after arrow in the same hole, but there will be a difference. Even the state of the surface of the shaft will have a small effect. Bottom line, set your scope with the arrows with which you intend to hunt. Having field points that shoot to the same POI as your broadheads helps a lot there, but that's for another thread,
cheers,
David.
Chie

Post by Chie »

georgiaboy wrote:I'm far from the scope guru on this forum...but from what I have read this is my understanding how it works.
You sight in at 20yds regardless of arrow weight. When you move out to 40 and start adjusting the speed ring it increases or decreases the distance between the chevrons. So arrow weight should not matter...380gr or 600gr, principle is the same.
If you change anything on arrow...weight / fletching etc. It will affect poi .
If I'm wrong somebody here will set us both straight!!! Lol
Hope this help's !!
If you change the weight of your arrows, you will have to re check your scope. Lighter arrows will have a flatter trajectory, heavier arrows will have a more pronounced trajectory. So the poi will be different.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

gundog wrote:I was wondering how bang on are the scopes? Sight it in at 20 yarrds and back off to 50. Adjust speed tell your spot on. The Question I have is how does arrow weight affect the in between 30,40 settings. Would some arrows hit a little different because of their weight at the 30 and 40 mark? Or is it so little that it would not matter?

I agree that a fixed scope at that many different positions would have a hard time being exact at all points due to FOC. A heavy tipped arrow will fall faster than the same arrow with a lite tip. However, based on my experience . . .it makes very little difference. You will still be within a 1" bullseye on the 30 and 40 yard chevrons. Well . . .there are limits. I'll bet you could make an arrow that would be way off . . .I just have not made that arrow, yet.

Basically, the heavier the tip, the more of a drop you will have. So, with a heavy tip on the arrow, if you sight it in at 50 yards, then the 30 and 40 yard chevrons would be hitting high. At least in theory. I think it would take a good amount of weight before you could actually see the difference. Mainly because of the chevrons, the distance, the magnification . . .my old eyes.

Same could also hold true for long vanes with a high degree of twist. They drop off quickly too.

I just have not experienced it with "normal" arrow set-ups. At least not enough to make a difference.

Now, if you combo a heavy tip with a high degree vane . . .maybe you could see an issue.

There are trade-offs in every aspect of this game. That's why I enjoy it so much.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
gundog

Post by gundog »

Thanks guys Dwilley you explained what I was thinking. I realize that they work for people with different set ups. Any difference would be minimal if set up correctly.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

any time you change arrow weight you will have to rezero at 20 with the cross hairs then speed ring as well afterwards.......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
TB

Post by TB »

How bang on are the scopes? Don't shoot two arrows at the same dot unless you have a large supply of arrows and can afford to loose a couple