Slow down a vortex

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bcmuledeer

Slow down a vortex

Post by bcmuledeer »

I know I am opening myself up for(good excuse to buy another one) comments but I plan on using my Vortex to hunt Grouse,Rabbits,Varments or whatever. I see by past posts that the faster xbows are hard on arrows(bolts) when hitting the ground or what have you. Is there a way to slow it down and make it more user bolt(arrow) friendly.
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
Boo

Re: Slow down a vortex

Post by Boo »

Call Danny Miller and ask if he has any Lite Limbs. They are lower poundage carved tipped limbs.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Thanks Don. Appreciate all the help you have giving me. Will give him a call. :D
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Air brakes.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
secret

Post by secret »

Code: Select all

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=flu+flu&x=21&y=16
Flu FLus [ A arrow wrapped with a full turkey feather]
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Thanks for the wonderful advice . I made some airbrakes out of turkey feathers :evil: Loaded up the vortex, took a shot and dam near got killed with the arrow coming back at me. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Step behind tree after shooting :roll:
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Dash

Post by Dash »

bcmuledeer wrote:I know I am opening myself up for(good excuse to buy another one) comments but I plan on using my Vortex to hunt Grouse,Rabbits,Varments or whatever. I see by past posts that the faster xbows are hard on arrows(bolts) when hitting the ground or what have you. Is there a way to slow it down and make it more user bolt(arrow) friendly.
Are you using a blunt style tip ? If so, the vortex should be fine. I've had no problems shooting rabbits and so on with an equinox, no damaged arrows yet. Heavy rocks may make a difference if you miss though.
Vormax

Post by Vormax »

:D I had pretty good success by pouring hot lead in the arrow shaft. I also extended the arrow shaft to 40", basically screwed two shafts together. To be on the safe side (safety 1st!) I also knit two strings together. Brought down effective rail length to 2.647 ". The combination of 40" 2500gr shafts and a nice amount of slack in the string slowed down the bow considerably. I am still arguing with myself if the 1.5" stainless steel vanes have a big impact on the CG .. Anyways, quite a weapon. I just have to make sure I wear my safety boots. :D

How to slow down a Vortex ? Buy a Vixen and change the stickers :?
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Dash wrote:
bcmuledeer wrote:I know I am opening myself up for(good excuse to buy another one) comments but I plan on using my Vortex to hunt Grouse,Rabbits,Varments or whatever. I see by past posts that the faster xbows are hard on arrows(bolts) when hitting the ground or what have you. Is there a way to slow it down and make it more user bolt(arrow) friendly.
Are you using a blunt style tip ? If so, the vortex should be fine. I've had no problems shooting rabbits and so on with an equinox, no damaged arrows yet. Heavy rocks may make a difference if you miss though.
Dash, I just bought the turkey guillotine spring type heads, I was told any spring type claw will make finding your arrows much easier. I did look at the blunt heads but thought they will still snake under the grass, bush ect. Interested in what anybody thinks of these. Are they good and do the springs stand up.what style of blunt head do you recommend?
Tom

Post by Tom »

If your using allum arrows try using Zwickey Scropios arrow arrestors on your arrow. These will slide on the shaft and the little fingers will also catch on underbrush and stand up the arrow. This stops a lot of ricocheting of the arrow and possible damage. Will not stop all arrow damage, but will help some.

Lighter limbs would probably be best bet.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Vormax wrote::D I had pretty good success by pouring hot lead in the arrow shaft. I also extended the arrow shaft to 40", basically screwed two shafts together. To be on the safe side (safety 1st!) I also knit two strings together. Brought down effective rail length to 2.647 ". The combination of 40" 2500gr shafts and a nice amount of slack in the string slowed down the bow considerably. I am still arguing with myself if the 1.5" stainless steel vanes have a big impact on the CG .. Anyways, quite a weapon. I just have to make sure I wear my safety boots. :D

How to slow down a Vortex ? Buy a Vixen and change the stickers :?
Allrighty then!!!! :shock: the way I see it, I have to buy a tree, buy steel toed boots,buy air brakes, turkey feathers, new string, extra arrows,1 1/2" steel broadheads and of course lead! I thank you all again for the knowledgableadvice but I guess it might be cheaper to buy a vixen. If you gentlemen are ever up here and have mechanical problems, please stop by our shop. I would love to pay you back for all the help you have giving me! :evil: :lol: :lol:
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

bcmuledeer wrote:Allrighty then!!!! :shock: the way I see it, I have to buy a tree, buy steel toed boots,buy air brakes, turkey feathers, new string, extra arrows,1 1/2" steel broadheads and of course lead! I thank you all again for the knowledgableadvice but I guess it might be cheaper to buy a vixen. If you gentlemen are ever up here and have mechanical problems, please stop by our shop. I would love to pay you back for all the help you have giving me! :evil: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

You asked this group that kind of question. :shock: your a braver man than I :wink:
Tenpoint Matrix
masboy

Post by masboy »

did you call danny about lite limbs? i also am interested in lite limbs for a vixen. thinking about an apex but don,t know much about them . would like a vixen with both regular limbs an lite limbs too shoot some fish and for my daughter to hunt with. but i,m afraid if i get one my vortex and equinox will hang on the wall most of the time and i,ll be shooting it all the time.