Blazers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gundog

Blazers

Post by gundog »

What makes the Blazer work so well ? 30 years ago you would not have used anything but a five inch vane. What is the science behind them? What is the best off set for them and what is the best jig for them on carbon arrows?
Conserve game hunt with a trained dog
Dash

Re: Blazers

Post by Dash »

Because its a small vane, you can wack plenty of offset on them and still fit in the rail. You can't do the same with a 4-5". With plenty of offset or helical, they end up spinning the arrow well, but at the same time having less sail area to be affected by a sidewind. I noticed no difference at close range with a field tip, but at 40-50 m, or when using a broadhead they worked well for me. EZ Fletch do an easy to use jig for blazers. I've also heard others talk about the Bohning jig I think for blazers.
See4miles

Re: Blazers

Post by See4miles »

The Bohning Vane has some interesting proprietary characteristics that would be hard to duplicate without a road map. There is way more to it than meets the eye. Its not by accident that they fly so well. Noteworthy is that Bohning has actually refined the little Blazer to be slightly smaller in stature yet again with no compromise to its legendary flight characteristics.

And yes, the Bohning Tower fletching system is specifically made for the Blazer (and other 2") vanes as well. it imparts a more aggressive helix on the vane over the distance of 2" as compared to most other typical Jigs which are designed to accomodate 4-5" vanes. I understand that Arizona EZ Fletcher has introduced a new EZ Fletcher that does the same thing.
In the Wind.......