How NOT to uncock your Xbow!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelie

Re: How NOT to uncock your Xbow!!

Post by wheelie »

strum wrote: I done that too :roll: im a idiot ran over mine
heres how it went..
I parked my truck on the high road..walked down the mt crossed the low road ...climbed a tree ..shot a doe,,
came down ..put all my gear on the low road..walked up the mt to the high road ..drove my truck down..backed in ..forgot the gear ,,
remembered my gear :D ..too late :( messed up a good hoyt.
That's enough to make a grown man cry!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

planter wrote:Agingcrossbower!!!! I like to think of it as educational for anyone who has not done it or was not aware of the potential problems but I would have been far more bummed out if I had shanked my boots. That would in the long run be MUCH more painful. :cry: My thumb will be fine come next season but Strum's Lacrosse boots are still going to have a hole in them. :(

I would like to see a list of blunders as well. Crossbow related would be great but I would be happy with any. I sure there are only a couple of folks here who have NEVER done anything stupid or at least have and will not admit to them. :)

*** Took a buddy three miles up and over the mountain for opening day shotgun. Early start and a long walk but it meant that everyone else would be pushing the deer to us when they hit the woods at day break. Propped him up against a tree and said don't move I will be back to get you later. I looked down at his gun to see the trigger lock still on. Well low and behold he did not have the key with him and it was not even back at the truck. It was twenty miles away back at camp. I whispered " Have a nice day and I will see you later". :D *** I did feel sorry for him but it was OPENING DAY!!! :P

Boo might be on to something :roll: ... Me on piano, Strum on guitar.
OH Planter I have only been lucky with the crossbow. As far as stupid stuff done there is no shortage for me. I have stepped on, knelt on, shot through and stapled my flesh through the years. I tablesawed the tip of my thumb and sanded the skin off my body. I have knick my knee with a skil saw when the guard did not go down. There are just to many things to remember. I'm just saying I am WAY overdue for something happening with the crossbow. It just the law of averages. Hell, the first thing I do when I wake up is duck. :shock: :lol: :lol:
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Ouch!!
That sounds like a whole lot of pain right there.!!
Hope you recover quickly Planter. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

I am thinking of going to a 22 inch arrow would this stop the problem of letting the bow down with a arrow in it or can you still get your foot in the stirrup.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
kpeeps

Post by kpeeps »

I have found out after going through what the rest of you have is to carry one bolt with a field tip in my quiver and shoot in the ground to decock my bow!
masboy

Post by masboy »

i also uncock mine in the dark and cold ,got rope caught under scope when letting down almost tore rope in half . a lot off times never had it on right in dark. now always open truck door to get some light . works for me. i learned the hard way to keep thumb down out of way when shooting from sand bags. thought about wraping my excal around post the first time it happened.but getting mellow with age. and stupider!
WTB

Post by WTB »

Have not had an issue while uncocking my Vortex that I became a proud,happy,satisfied owner of back in October 2010. My first, but not my last (I picked up a Cobra 421 180lb the other day and am saving for a brand new Rhino (loaded) (365fps) MADE IN THE USA) ) I have always had a passion for Xbows, well Archery, in general, since I was since in diapers.

My first real bow ( I still have) was a 1956 Ben Pearson 65lb two pc. Long Bow. I have built several and bought many and my list of blunders is also too long to post.

When I bought my Vortex I had never touched an XBOW .I shot the bow about 8 times and uncock the bow three times with out the rope cocker. The dealer was about two hours from my house. He did not tell me about the rope method. Not until I watched the video did I learn the rope method. One's fingers must be the right lenght to be able to reach the trigger with your thumb and still have good grip on the string. If your lenght is not "right" then a good "hook-up" can't be made. Cold hands,short fingers,gloves are a disaster waiting to happen.

I am not sure about the Rope Cocker "FooBar". I was Blessed enough this season that I only had to uncock my bow twice (all after dark but with a light.) The other times, it was uncocked into a Texas Whitetail. I take the same steps to "set the rope "while cocking as in un-cocking.I have missed the groove several times by not paying attention.

I left my bow in Teaxs from Dec. 9th until late January. I was so excited when it came home, that I assembled it and ran out in 20 deg f, 12 inches snow, no gloves set my two plastic lawn chairs (for seat and rest) I placed a saddle blanket on the back of the chair and started shooting. I did not realize how deep the bow had settled in the blanket and on the third shot I said OUCH@#@#@#@##@@!! and promptly went back into house. I just nicked the tip of my thumb. Huge blood blister for a week. I was very lucky!!!

I Dry Fired my bow probably five times with the Dacron string before I put the FFF. Once session, It was almost "surreal". I did the blunder "three time in the row,all after telling my self how stupid it was. I slung the string off twice. i have not done it in a couple hundred shots now.

Sticking a broad head in your foot,, "Damn"!! that is just plain scarey

One of the bigger blunders was, in 1989 I bought a brand new Hoyt Hunter 65 lb, two pc recurve. Upon taking from the Ups driver and unpacking, I comenced to string the bow just like I had done all my bows(step through method). Whammmmm!!!! Twisted limbs"New Bow junk!. I did know what a "rope stringer" was.

Good luck with all the "Needed Healing"

My question is, how many has shared these events with their significant other??