New coyote caller/decoy setup

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fratri

New coyote caller/decoy setup

Post by fratri »

I went this morning and did a quick set, had a coyote show itself about 250 yds out, he came over a ridge, I put the scope on him and before I could decide to shoot or not, he turned and left.... I guess he did not like what he seen. So sitting here board with nothing really happening at home this morning I decided to make a new decoy....I placed this old turkey decoy over my spitfire, cut a round hole so the speaker is clear. I put some feathers over the speaker hole. I tried it out in my backyard 30 yds and it seems to work.... I figure I may have solved to concerns....One batteries dying on my original decoy and secondly the turkey decoy can shield the foxpro from bad weather.... I will get out and give it a try tomorrow morning....

The spitfire caller is inside the red circle…..

This is a view from 15 yds…..

"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri
Boo

Re: New coyote caller/decoy setup

Post by Boo »

Frank, looks like you're having fun! :D
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Caller in the turkey will work good.
phil

Post by phil »

Looks good!...let us know how it performs!
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Looks good !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
fratri

Post by fratri »

phil wrote:Looks good!...let us know how it performs!
Well I went out this morning.....no takers but it did a great job keeping my foxpro dry, it rained all moring, I set the caller out 30yds away and found it worked well, no issues with changing sounds or volume...
Fratri
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The wild bunch I ran w/ for a bit back in Illinois had great results w/ trapped cats in a Hav-a-Hart, they never shut up, no batteries to run down, Yotes love cat food. After the hunt, you can let the cat go or give it a dirt nap. They used feral cats lured into trap w/ $.30 jack mackerel.
"Eze 18:21"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

We can't use live decoys here in Ontario. Its unfortunate, I once had a great idea for a "feral cat wind-chime", the idea involved 3 cats some coat hangers and a tree. :D

Frank, for the battery issue, just get some chemical hand warmers from the dollar store, place it against the battery compartment and find something to hold it in place, a headband worked great on mine.

I have about 100 turkey calls on my Foxpro, I use them for practicing calling, I would be in a heap of trouble if I crossed paths with a CO out there with my caller stuffed in to a hen.. :shock:
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
fratri

Post by fratri »

Pydpiper wrote:I would be in a heap of trouble if I crossed paths with a CO out there with my caller stuffed in to a hen.. :shock:
Not so Pyd.... I contacted the MNR and explained exactly what I was using as a setup and they emailed me back, I am good to go, as long as I am not using it during turkey season to call in a turkey they say I am legal.... I printed off the email with the CO's info just in case... Now all I have to do is get out in the field and have a coyote come in...:)
Fratri
cmawdsley

Post by cmawdsley »

fratri wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:I would be in a heap of trouble if I crossed paths with a CO out there with my caller stuffed in to a hen.. :shock:
... as long as I am not using it during turkey season to call in a turkey they say I am legal....
Right ...you're hunting coyote, not turkey. I made the same leap as pydpiper. :oops:
Chris Mawdsley,
2011 Exocet 200
Lumizone scope
saxman

Post by saxman »

What a slick idea :D :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox