bowhunting for cow moose

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

littlekitch

bowhunting for cow moose

Post by littlekitch »

i've been asked to go bow hunting for moose this year by some friends.i've never been up north like this before.looking into it we'll probably have at least one cow tag.i know from reading you can call in a bull but how do you get a cow close enough for an arrow shot with a crossbow?KITCH
Archer Ontario

Re: bowhunting for cow moose

Post by Archer Ontario »

i hunted in Jellieco for 5 years the first 3 years we harvested cows before harvesting a bull we stayed near water and set up on there trails they will come to calling
i was calling one morning and a big cow came out very very annoyed that i was there later a game warden told me that cow was probably the dominate cow coming out to chase me away
Boy she tasted good
bcmuledeer

Re: bowhunting for cow moose

Post by bcmuledeer »

flhtcuse wrote:Archer has bang on advice. Calling a bull moose during the rut is easy compared to calling a cow in, specially to get within bow range. Set up near water or active game trail area, give a few bull calls but do more cow calls. Calf call now and again as well. Moose are actually quite social and a cow will come to cow calls, and often a cow will come looking for a bull as well. Best of luck....

Cheers...

Good advice! One other thing about cow moose is that if there is a food source or mineral lick arround, they will normally use the same trails at usually the same time, in bc. Anyway! I used to see the same cows day after day in roughly the same spots, I also find cow moose to be (dumb as a stick), I can usually get quit close to one with no problem, they are not near as timid as deer, please make sure it is alone and has no calve. Have fun, remember, the work starts once the shooting is over! :shock: :lol:
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!