spring gobbler hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

obxboys

spring gobbler hunting

Post by obxboys »

I am looking forward to hunting spring gobblers this year with my Excalibur. Anyone on the board have any recommendations for broadheads for turkeys. Greatly appreciate all responses and discussion.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: spring gobbler hunting

Post by Doe Master »

I have used expandables with success . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
littlekitch

Post by littlekitch »

I use mechanical spitfire 100 grain broad heads and 3" fletchings on gold tip laser 11 arrows. I also pratice with spitfire 100 grain practise tips on the arrows i use for hunting. I find these are very accurate in practice and hunting and their 1 1/2" cutting diameter 3 blade is very effective on both turkeys and deer.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Also use the NAP Spitfire on GTs and Blazers. Basically whatever you shoot accurately. And find the site that shows where to shoot em with an arrow. The big breast is a tempting target but it's often not a killing shot, they live much closer to where the leg connects to the body; or even up the vent if you have to take that shot. Head-on shot is very iffy. I use a hen decoy and face it away from me (toms mount hen from back). That way they are distracted and not looking in your direction when you lift the bow. Tom decoys have mixed blessing. They may cause the boss tom to come in to but Jakes may avoid the set if the decoy is too aggressive looking. Can;t wait my season starts April 18th.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
strum

Post by strum »

starts march 26 here in georgia..i am realy looking foward to it..I went out this morning to do a little scouting,,found a lot of scratching and
eneded up jumping 2 bigole gobblers.. :x i had skirted a small feild and found a place to set up..then i let my gaurd down ,,wndered to the oppisite end of the field..got on the phone with a customer,,just easing along the woods line,,had i been paying attention i probly could have sat down and watched em a while in the field ..but they spotted me first :( thats the way it goes but i know wher to hunt now :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
obxboys

Post by obxboys »

Thanx for your responses and discussion. Nice to know a few c'bow hunters will be chasing spring gobblers. It would be nice to see a few pics of successful hunts. Thanx again - Tom
strider23

Post by strider23 »

I'll be using my Benelli Super Black Eagle II on some remote property and my Vortex in my backyard.

Here are a couple of pictures of a group of ten that come into my backyard almost daily. These two pictures show a couple of toms and three hens, the other five birds are a few feet away. Good hunting everyone. Andy :D