De-Cocking Arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BizROWorld

De-Cocking Arrows

Post by BizROWorld »

Anybody use special arrows to shoot at the end of the day? I am from NY, but headed to NJ and PA this year to hunt with my Xbow, so the property isn't mine and Im not going to lug a target in with me each day. What type of arrow/head should I carry with me to de-cock my Xbow at the end of the day?

I have a Vortex.
sumner4991

Re: De-Cocking Arrows

Post by sumner4991 »

BizROWorld wrote:Anybody use special arrows to shoot at the end of the day? I am from NY, but headed to NJ and PA this year to hunt with my Xbow, so the property isn't mine and Im not going to lug a target in with me each day. What type of arrow/head should I carry with me to de-cock my Xbow at the end of the day?

I have a Vortex.
I use the rope cocker to uncock the bow. Once you get the hang of it, it's rather easy. And, I just leave the cocking aide on the bow, ready to get started again the next day.

I know guys that just use an arrow with a field tip . . .nothing special, just find some soft ground to shoot. Works just fine.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

sumner4991 wrote:
BizROWorld wrote:Anybody use special arrows to shoot at the end of the day? I am from NY, but headed to NJ and PA this year to hunt with my Xbow, so the property isn't mine and Im not going to lug a target in with me each day. What type of arrow/head should I carry with me to de-cock my Xbow at the end of the day?

I have a Vortex.
I use the rope cocker to uncock the bow. Once you get the hang of it, it's rather easy. And, I just leave the cocking aide on the bow, ready to get started again the next day.

I know guys that just use an arrow with a field tip . . .nothing special, just find some soft ground to shoot. Works just fine.
I do the same as sumner and use rope cocker to uncock my Vortex.
If you prefer to shoot it to unload any field point will do fine.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
BizROWorld

Post by BizROWorld »

2 questions....1. how do you uncock it using ropes?
2. if you shoot a field point into the ground, is the arrow wasted? I would hate to waste a carbon firebolt at the end of everyday.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

BizROWorld wrote:2 questions....1. how do you uncock it using ropes?
2. if you shoot a field point into the ground, is the arrow wasted? I would hate to waste a carbon firebolt at the end of everyday.

Useing a rope-cocker should be on your cd if you bought the bow new, if not it's on the web page.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
smitty likes hunting

Post by smitty likes hunting »

its easy to do with the rope cocker, and you dont have to worry about finding a rock with your arrow. JUST REMEMBER TO TAKE THE ARROW OUT BEFORE YOU UNCOCK IT!!!!! OR IT COULD BE A BAD DAY OF HUNTING :x
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Like others have said, get the video and watch it.

If you are going to fire an arrow into the ground rather than uncock your bow, carry a special arrow for that purpose. The field point AND the arrow may be damaged if you should happen to hit even a small stone. You won't be able to see what's beneath the surface when you shoot.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Definitely use the cocking aid to uncock bow.
Must take arrow off first!
You put the cocking aid on the bow the same way but with all the string on one side of the bow and the opposite T handle up tight against the hook.Now pulling hard on the cocking aid with one hand you can now release the safety and press trigger. you must be ready for the weight to be applied and lower the string at a controlled speed.

Someone gave a link to the Excal instruction videos Bill shows you how to do this very easy once you see it no problem my 11 year old son can do it.
Tenpoint Matrix
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use an arrow with a field point to unload. From the tree stand just shoot into the ground, or pick a close target and shoot at it to confirm accuracy is still good.

The un-cocking by hand, or with the cocking rope will work, but I've read a few stories here where things went wrong. Like a broadhead through the boot (forgot to remove arrow) or a finger/hand smashed bu a flying rope cocker handle.

There's always a chance of losing/damaging an arrow my way, but I figure a $3 arrow (I make my own) is still a lot cheaper than a trip to the emergency room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW-I unloaded by shooting an arrow in the ground after every hunt last year (60-90 times, didn't keep count) and didn't loose or damage any arrows.
wabi
Gwens Dilemma

Post by Gwens Dilemma »

I ground a field point flat, put it on a slightly bent aluminum arrow that got hurt in a deer years ago. I fire it into the ground when I'm on the ground. Never had a problem and best of all no injuries :wink: been using this arrow and method for years in my old carved tip Exomag.
Dave
bommer

Post by bommer »

WE are asuming you have an excalibur ?
bommer

Post by bommer »

Sorry I misread your post