150 GRAIN MECHANICALS ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dash

150 GRAIN MECHANICALS ?

Post by Dash »

Does anyone know who makes a good 150 grain mechanical ? The main brands I know of seem to stop at 125, and the brands that do heavier broadheads then jump up and skip the 150 range.
The field tips and fixed blades I have now are 150, and If possible I'd like to keep it simple, everything same weight.
mchurch

Re: 150 GRAIN MECHANICALS ?

Post by mchurch »

I have asked the exact same question on other forums and have never gotten a response. I will be watching.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Excalibur
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

I believe nap ( new archery products ) has a 150 grain mech bh. If it is as good as their 125 gr. you can't go wroung.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

Hey Dash,

Why don't you use a 50 gr. threaded brass insert and a 100 gr. mechanical broadhead. The resulting weight is 150 gr. Also, I think the purpose of the 150 gr. Boltcutter is due to reduced accuracy when shooting 100 gr. fixed blade broadheads from high powered crossbows such as Excaliburs. Mechanical broadheads that fly as true as a field point don't really require the extra weight to maintain accuracy. If you're looking for extra weight to increase your kinetic energy on impact you may have to add weight to the front of your arrow as your original question indicates.

Regards,

Kurisu
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

kurisu wrote:Hey Dash,

Why don't you use a 50 gr. threaded brass insert and a 100 gr. mechanical broadhead. The resulting weight is 150 gr. Also, I think the purpose of the 150 gr. Boltcutter is due to reduced accuracy when shooting 100 gr. fixed blade broadheads from high powered crossbows such as Excaliburs. Mechanical broadheads that fly as true as a field point don't really require the extra weight to maintain accuracy. If you're looking for extra weight to increase your kinetic energy on impact you may have to add weight to the front of your arrow as your original question indicates.

Regards,

Kurisu

Tune your shafts and you won't have a problem shooting 100gr fixed BH's such as Magnus BH's for one with a EXOMAX or any other xbow, but some won't fly no matter what you do [JUNK]

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Slick Trick also has a heavy crossbow broadhead. 170g IIRC.

No matter how you get the weight up front you need it to have an arrow that has a high FOC to get good broadhead flight. There are two ways to accomplish this. The first is to use an arrow with an aluminum insert and a heavy weight broadhead. This is how the Excalibur Firebolt arrows are designed to work. The second is to shoot an arrow like the GT Laser II with a heavier brass insert and use a standard weight broadhead at 100g or 125g. There are some custom made heavier brass front inserts for other arrows as well. One of the reasons that the GT Laser II's are so popular is their price point and their stackable insert weights which give you a lot of control over how much weight is in the front of the arrow.

Using the heavy insert and the standard broadhead weight is the most common way to get good FOC as you have a much wider choice of broadheads to shoot.

Both methods accomplish the same thing as they produce an arrow with a high FOC and good flight characteristics.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Dash

Post by Dash »

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I couldn't find a NAP 150 mechanical.
I know I wouldn't have a problem using 125 gr mechanicals on my carbons power bolts. It was more a case of keeping all the tips the same weight as I have now for simplicity, as the feild points, small game heads, fixed broadheads I have now are already 150gr. They all fly well. I just wanted to give mechanicals a go, and didn't realize 150gr mechanicals are as "rare as hens teeth".
I know I can get inserts, and may go that way now.
But If I knew before what I know now, I would have kept the whole shooting match setup for 125 grain. The choice of field, mechanical, fixed, and small game heads is huge in 125gr. Then you also have more choice of suppliers and better prices.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Dash wrote:But If I knew before what I know now, I would have kept the whole shooting match setup for 125 grain. The choice of field, mechanical, fixed, and small game heads is huge in 125gr. Then you also have more choice of suppliers and better prices.

I agree . . .and, the advantage, if there is one at all between the 125 and 150, is slim.

I've decided to make a lighter set-up for my Vixen. I've been shooting the same set-up with both the Vixen and the Exomax. I got to believe that after getting everything set up, then it will not be a big deal keeping them separate. I'll use different color vanes to help me know which arrows belong to which bow. I'm sure a lot of folks shoot different set-ups.

I shoot several different weighted arrows when target practicing. After doing it a while, I know my aim points with the different arrows. Just a matter of seeing a brass insert and aiming a tad higher.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Michael Stogre

Post by Michael Stogre »

For your and others information I believe there is now a 150 grain 2 blade rage mechanical broadhead. I saw it in
an archery magazine recently--probably bowhunting world.

MJS
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Michael Stogre wrote:For your and others information I believe there is now a 150 grain 2 blade rage mechanical broadhead. I saw it in
an archery magazine recently--probably bowhunting world.

MJS
:shock: :shock: I'm gonna hafta check that out for sure!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I checked there site and don't see a 150 gr b-head.
They do show a 125 gr Crossbow head with 1.75" cut and a 125 gr head with 2" cut.
Didn't check the price while I was there...oops.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Michael Stogre

Post by Michael Stogre »

Hey J:

I found a reference to the rage crossbow mechanical broadhead on page 52 of the June issue of Deer & Deer hunting.
There is no reference to wt in that description. So you are probably right that it is a 125 grain head. I could have
sworn that I saw 150 grains somwhere in the caption. So I stand corrected.

MJS
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

the N.A.P head is called the F.O.C. and weighs 170 grains here is the link.
http://www.newarchery.com/products/1-57 ... s/foc.html
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Dash

Post by Dash »

Thanks gerald, I've seen them before. They look like they'd cause serious damage. I was hopeing to get this type in the 150gr, but not possible yet. Has anyone experimented with these yet ?