c'mon guys

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

c'mon guys

Post by one shot scott »

Whats happened? theres no posts of recent turkey harvests!! I live vicariously through the members of the forum and am shocked that there hasnt been much news lately. Have birds shut down? hened up? moved out?

I have found that gobbling is very scarce in my area. Up until a few days ago I was convinced I had no birds on my property at all, then I found prints in the soft mud. I set up and called some hens to the decoys at 20 yards and that was cool, but no long beards around. The next evening I went out and heard a lone gobbler in the distance so my hopes are still up. been scouting the past few evenings and have not heard that bird at all as hes roosting. Hope hes still around 'cause the wee man and I are heading out in the am!!

a week ago a buddy and I went to his land and I called while he set up with the excalibur. Managed to get them at 30 yards and just as they were about in a clearing a racoon came out and spooked them. Game over. A few days after that we set up in a different area on the same property, this time I called a tom at 20, he shot and missed. They stuck around for ten mins but I never had a shot. Its been exciting, but no bird yet.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
strum

Re: c'mon guys

Post by strum »

I have hunted more and saw less this year than i ever have,,dont know why..went this eve to a little field i hunt somtimes..setup in a dog house blind..
saw 2 deer ..watched em for about 45 mins so i know i was hid well...after they left some horses came in ..one tried to run one of my decoys off..then tried to bite it..i had to get out of my blind and run em off..
i ended up leaving the blind there and ill go hunt it in the morn..season is almost over here ..ends the 15th..and i have to work all next week so dont know if i can squeeze in any more morning but ill try,,yall wish me luck i need it,,
note i did see some good/fresh scratching in the area so thats a plus :D
good luck to yall and hope that you find a more manly hat :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
munch

Post by munch »

Niel i'm starting to think we have a very serious problem in our area with turkeys.last year was bad and this year is much worse i'm not seeing or hearing anything.in years past the wife and i would go for a timmies and a drive for an hour and count 50 to 100 birds this year there are a lot of days we have drivin 2 hours and seen nothing in the fields.i hope it's because the bush is so clean they are staying inside and not coming out in the open but not hearing gobbles most days
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

I'm noticing fewer birds in the fields in my area too, but I still hear gobbles in the morning. I think the problem for me is the yotes.... Actually, I have a gobbler living behind me in the subdivision.... We have a small green space and I hear him gobble many evenings, it's a nice sound.

Kurisu
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Neil I'm calling in birds just the wrong sex all hens if this was the fall hunt I would be tagged out,I called in a strutter opening day he was comming in then turned and ran in the other direction 5 minutes later a coyote ran acroos the field he was comming in :evil: just a matter a time lots of gobbling this am then they shut down remember persistance pays my brother shot a 20lb bird on Thursday I taught em good :wink:
Image[*]
Last edited by MADMAX2 on Sat May 07, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The best things in life are not things!!
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

Having real good action in 87 & 84, have one tag filled. 80 has been dead for me - standing water and high hunter #'s are cramping the birds' style. I'm on some good hen activity in 80 and can't get a gobble. Skipping supper and taking the vortex with me tonite just to switch things up. Tomorrow being mothers day :mrgreen: no hunting for me :shock:
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

This morning not a gobble to be heard anywhere . :? Came out about 8 and heard one . So it was off to the races but low and behold had two people come in and pretend it was the videos . They couldn`t figure out the bird clammed up with the aggressive calling .
Next weekend !!
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
roly

Post by roly »

Last sunday my son and I made a double on a couple of nice Toms

We got in a bit late and saw the birds already in the field so we had to set up about 1000yds from where we wanted to
be At 6:10 the birds had worked there way down to us and were off to our right about 100yds. We thought this was going to be over quick, there was 3 hens 2 Toms and a jake . every time the jake came close the toms would run him off. then they moved back up the field ,across the top of the field, down the other side . we watch the toms mate with several hens and more kept coming out of the bush
Back up to the top of the field again now we were thinking maybe this wasn't going to happen, its now 11:30 my butt was numb
My son took his hurricain box call and make 3 loud cuts, it must have made the boss hen mad , she turned and started at our dekes
cutting all the way down the field.
At 75 yards they hung up and would not come any closer, now the wind is getting stronger and we had to hold the blind down
the Toms were fanned the whole time and were circleing and nugging each other.the hens started to move off and the toms were following , I had a mouth call that Ric (Meadowbrook calls) had sent we so I start ed doing a purr churp together softly and non stop.
I remember my son saying dad that dosen't even sound like a turkey, well the Toms went nuts gobbling and starting right at us .
My son said now way dad but don't stop. At about 30 yds I took the safety off the Equinox and got ready, its now 12 noon.

I said to my son , which one which one , he said first one that gives you a shot. at 21 yds I let the rage 3 fly and saw it go through the wing and into the high leg , he went about five steps and dropped, the other tom was standing there with a what was that look on his face when the 3 1/2 mag blew threw his head and fell with out a twitch.

My tom was 20lbs 9 1/2 beard and 1 inch spurs, my son did not weigh his but had a 11 1/2 beard and 1in 1/8 spurs
Attachments
GetAttachment.jpg
GetAttachment.jpg (10.8 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
roly

Post by roly »

here is a pic of my sons bird

sorry about the pic, taken from my phone
Attachments
GetAttachment (2).jpg
GetAttachment (2).jpg (10.63 KiB) Viewed 3090 times
GetAttachment.jpg
GetAttachment.jpg (9.18 KiB) Viewed 3090 times
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I like success stories, congrats to the successful hunters! But the stories of the bird that got to live another day are welcome too, all part of an interesting day of hunting.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Was out on Sat a.m. - should have slept in instead. :lol: Nada, nothing. No gobbles, no sightings. Phooey.

Might have to go visit some public land. I think our lot doesn't have birds on it this year.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

i whacked 2 birds in wv 24 lbs 10 inch beard and one and a quarter spurs , will post pic as soon as i figure that out, lot of birds here , also seeing lots of coyotes , been very wet here so figuring hatch will be off for next year
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

congrats B.R.B.
waiting on those pics :wink:
...and hey, welcome to the forum.