Carbon Bolt Options?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Max-4

Carbon Bolt Options?

Post by Max-4 »

Hey, I am pretty new to the crossbow game and I am pumped to do some hunting this fall with my new Exocet 200. I was interested in the options out there for carbon bolts besides the Excalibur Firebolt. Are there any other bolts out there that are better quality wise that work well in the Excaliburs? I know of companies like Gold Tip, Beman and Eastons other products. Has anyone had great success with something for deer and black bear sized game?
strum

Re: Carbon Bolt Options?

Post by strum »

Im sure youll get a lot of diff answers but ..i am using the firebolts ..and the gold tip lazer 2s..Like both . i realy like the carbon express..maxima hunters also i used them for vertical and loved em..havent tryed them for crossbow yet but i know some of the members use em with great results..
Last edited by strum on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Boo

Post by Boo »

The Carbon Express Maxima Hunter or KV are the best I've used to date.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
M.J.M.

Post by M.J.M. »

I'm shooting the gold tip laser II's from an exocet 200, practicing at 40 yrds with slick trick 100 gr. mags with great results.
Max-4

Post by Max-4 »

Is there any other options out there that are working well in the Excaliburs? I have a 2011 Exocet 200 that I am currently using the factory firebolts and bolt cutter broadheads. I am not having any problems with them, I am just interested in some other combos that may work better. Are there any bolts made by Carbon Express, Gold Tip, Beeman, Easton that are good quality and a good price? Thanks
Normous

Post by Normous »

GTII's are priced well. When my Gold Tips run low I'm upgrading to the Maxima Carbons.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Max-4

Post by Max-4 »

So an Excalibur Firebolt weighs about 275 grains with no point installed. I see that Gold Tip has the Laser II at 146 grains and the Laser III at 170 grains and then theres the Laser IV at 278 grains.

All of these bolts are at 20" lengths, obviously a lighter bolt is going to make it fly faster and have a flatter trajectory. Is there a good trade off between light weight but still hard hitting power for whitetail deer sized game?

What arrow weight and broadhead weight make a good combo for both speed and hard hitting power on deer? Lets keep in mind I don't want to do any damage to my Exocet 200 by going too light, if thats possible.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Excalibur recommends a 350 grain min. arrow weight. You can shoot 350 grain arrows all day out of your #200 Exocet and not damage it. I shoot arrows close to the minimum weight and and have had complete pass throughs on my last 15 deer. You will have plenty of KE on deer sized game with a min. weight arrow.
Some on the other hand here like arrows from 400-450 grain. some others 450 grain plus. Experiment a bit to determine what you like.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wapiti_wacker

Post by wapiti_wacker »

I came across some GT laser 2s with the brass inserts that have been working well with my Exocet that I purchased in Feburary .. I'm a newbie as well but my grouping is about the same as the fire bolts with a 150 grain field tips , haven't tried any broad heads yet but plan on getting the bolt cutters.
Exocet 200
Flemish string
S 5 suppression
Hi my name is Mark and I AM an Elkaholic .....