Shooting sticks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

houser52

Re: Shooting sticks

Post by houser52 »

This thread got me to thinking more about some dedicated Xbow shooting sticks. Last night I had to go pick up some Ivomec wormer at Tractor Supply and I got two more fiberglass electric fence poles. I'm going to experiment with them this weekend and see what I can come up with.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

houser52 wrote:
Raymond wrote:houser52, have you any pictures to show us of those shooting sticks?
Thanks,
Raymond
They come long but just saw them off with a hacksaw. As I said before I sanded and painted them, then sprayed a clear coat on top. They are not as pretty as they were when I first made them because I keep them in the back of the truck all the time. I'll probably make another set just for ground blind hunting but this time try 3 legs and make it a tripod.

Some of the paint has worn off from being in the back of the truck.

Notice that I took some old gas hose and slipped it over the ends. The poles are just connected with a piece of camo rope I had laying around.
I love this idea! They look great and will be way lighter than the ones I made. Great work!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Thanks for the pictures houser52. They look good also.
Raymond
littlekitch

Post by littlekitch »

i use a folding chair with a backrest only and no arm rests in my dog house blind.the camping chairs with arm rests were too restrictive for me.i have a single adjustable shooting stick i got at canadian tire with my ctc money.it works great in the dog house and sitting on the ground against a tree for turkeys.my dog house is black inside so i wear a black hoodie while sitting in the dog house blind.KITCH
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I was inspired, thanks. :D

Poking around in the shop yesterday and I found I had an excess of bungee fiberglass tent poles, all beige.
Keeping the bungees in tact I trimmed the poles to an appropriate length and painted them a bit, done.
They fold small enough to fit in my pack, when I lift them up by the top while folded the lower lengths drop down and snap right in to place. I need to find a better way to tie them together though, right now I just have some excess bungee from another set of poles.
Thanks for the inspiration houser! I see these getting some use.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
houser52

Post by houser52 »

Pydpiper- Looking good. That was a good idea using tent poles. I started on my sticks yesterday. Got everything done except cutting the correct length. I'll have to set up my blind and set in the chair before I cut them.

littlekitch- I had an old chair for years but it finally got to where I couldn't patch it up anymore. Armless folding chairs were kinda hard to find around here but finally found one at Walgreen's Drug store, $6.99. About everything had the arm rests.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
houser52

Post by houser52 »

Here's something else I added to the feet of my sticks a couple years ago. I was having trouble with the feet not digging in if the ground was too hard or if there was a lot of leaves so I added spikes. It's actually a 16 penny nail that has the head cut off and hot glued into a drilled hole in the end of each leg. Now the legs of my sticks will stay in one place no matter how hard the ground is or the amount of leaves. An added benefit was if the ground is muddy they usually don't stick in much past the spikes and don't create a suction when pulling them up.
Works for me.

Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Pypiper that was a good idea with the folding legs and that was also a good idea houser to put on the spikes make good sense for grip. I wish I would have kept the tent poles from my old tent. I will be making a set before the season begins.
Thanks,
Raymond
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I use one of these it is called a Horton knee pod works great.
http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage ... 0&cvt=jpeg
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Although it's a monopod, I use a telescopic Winchester shooting stick I got from walmart for 10 bucks. Adjusts to ANY height,folds up to to around a foot long,has a strap,and is virtually weightless. Works well with my Excals.
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

houser52 wrote:
Raymond wrote:houser52, have you any pictures to show us of those shooting sticks?
Thanks,
Raymond
They come long but just saw them off with a hacksaw. As I said before I sanded and painted them, then sprayed a clear coat on top. They are not as pretty as they were when I first made them because I keep them in the back of the truck all the time. I'll probably make another set just for ground blind hunting but this time try 3 legs and make it a tripod.

Some of the paint has worn off from being in the back of the truck.

Notice that I took some old gas hose and slipped it over the ends. The poles are just connected with a piece of camo rope I had laying around.

Thats what I did too...funny...I use a big ole rubber band to hold mine together works great...
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!