Flemish String Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

houser52

Flemish String Question

Post by houser52 »

I've made a couple flemish strings and still learning but they have turned out pretty good.
The pics of strings I've seen have a pretty big and neat "fuzz ball" where the bundles end. It's like built in whiskers.

My question to you experienced string makers is...
After making the loops how much of the ends of the bundles are left sticking out of the string? I've twisted the bundles all the way into the string but it didn't look right. I don't know if it effects the string's performance or strength or not.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
Cossack

Re: Flemish String Question

Post by Cossack »

It's a matter of personal taste. Strength isn't affected if your end weave is long enough. I leave my ends about 1/2-3/4"
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
houser52

Post by houser52 »

Cossack wrote:It's a matter of personal taste. Strength isn't affected if your end weave is long enough. I leave my ends about 1/2-3/4"
I have 10 twists from the bottom of the loop to the string. Enough?
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Got a good site or u-tube video on making flemish twist strings?
houser52

Post by houser52 »

wheelie wrote:Got a good site or u-tube video on making flemish twist strings?
I watched this guy's video and learned a lot. I think there are 4 or 5 parts but this will get you to the guy's videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpGDIKZAhd8
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

houser52 wrote:
wheelie wrote:Got a good site or u-tube video on making flemish twist strings?
I watched this guy's video and learned a lot. I think there are 4 or 5 parts but this will get you to the guy's videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpGDIKZAhd8
Thank you I will watch them. Will try one with B-50. Have go get some new string material in Port Elgin. Ordered some already but it never came through.
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

houser,

I usually twist my end loops all the way into the end and then let them fray a bit when shooting the string. They usually end up having a fuzz ball section of around 1/2 an inch after shooting. Ten bundle crossings should be enough to keep the end loop from getting larger.

The fuzz ball section at the end of the twistings means that each of your individual strands in your strings were the same length. Most of the flemish twist xbow strings I have seen are made this way. I have seen sites where they make varying length bundles so that when you do the twisting they will lay flatter and not cause the large fuzz balls to occur. This was more for vertical recurve bows. The harsher starting and stopping of the string on the crossbow might still cause the tag ends of the bundles to fray out. You would need to build a flemish string jig to get the staggered bundle lengths consistent if you wanted to try making one.
The site below shows the staggered bundle jig.

http://www.rmsgear.com/tutorial_string_2bundle.htm

wheelie,
The site above was very helpful to me in making strings that look very nice. One idea that I came up with to figure out how much bundle untwisting to do was to add a single odd color strand into the bundles. After you have finished the first side of the string the odd color strand will let you know how much untwisting you will need to do to get the bundles to mesh smoothly together when you twist the other side. Once you have the twistings down then you can omit the off colored strand.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Does anyone have a pattern to make a Flemish String Jig?
Thanks,
Raymond
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

shafferm wrote:wheelie,
The site above was very helpful to me in making strings that look very nice. One idea that I came up with to figure out how much bundle untwisting to do was to add a single odd color strand into the bundles. After you have finished the first side of the string the odd color strand will let you know how much untwisting you will need to do to get the bundles to mesh smoothly together when you twist the other side. Once you have the twistings down then you can omit the off colored strand.
Thank you, appreciate that.
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Raymond wrote:Does anyone have a pattern to make a Flemish String Jig?
Thanks,
Raymond
Ray, I found quite a few on the Internet, I ended up using a 2x4 and 1 1/2 inch nails. I went with a length of 54" string. Made some with each strand being 1/2" shorter than the next, makes a nice taper end! Then I saw the nice fuzz ball and made all the strings the same length. Built in whisker! 54" is just a guide as everyone will twist different, the beauty of Flemish is if it's to long or short by a bit you can always take it apart and start again, I made quite a few strings and I still have to take one end off a redo it, either to long or short. :roll:
The main thing is don't make your loops to big or they will come off! Not good! I put in 14 twists in my loops, I twist pretty tight, mechanics hands I guess, the loops just fit over the limb ends, the best way is just start and learn as you go, like I said you can take them apart if you don't like it. A hard part for me was figuring how much to twist the string before starting on the other loop, when you put the other loop on the 2 groups of strings will be twisted and not join together nice! I'm very green at this but love learning, have fun Ray, I know I do! :D
There are 99.9% of ppl on this forum that properly know more about string making than me, so I hope if I lead you wrong they will step in!
Bill
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

One other thing I forgot to say is I start my loops 10" from each end!
Bill
houser52

Post by houser52 »

I use the same 2 nail method at 55" and start my loops 11" from each end. I'm going to have to change something because my finished strings are coming up a little short even after stretching. On my next string I'm going to try 56".
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Flemish strings are weird that way! I always wondered why Boo won't give a length to guys about how long the string should be!
I knew it wasn't because he wanted the market to himself, he is just being totally honest, everybody is different! :D
houser52

Post by houser52 »

It's kind of odd that the very first DynaFlight string I made has been the best one so far. Neat looking, tight and stretched out perfectly. Since then I've made 2 more and they have not been nearly as good. Of course my fingers being worn down to the bone from twisting may have something to do with it. :D
I don't see how Boo can make enough strings to sell without wearing out his fingers. :shock:
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman