PREPARING AND COOKING GAME

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

badredbird

PREPARING AND COOKING GAME

Post by badredbird »

as i read all the techinical questions about xbows , i wonder why is it we hunt and spend countless hours on here preparing form the hunt and hunting, the answer for me is i enjoy the meat , i age it, let it hang til a white powdery mold that looks like baby powder forms over it telling me it has become aged and tender, i grind it, smoke it , make summer sausage , and even get more extravagant culinary ideas, what do most people on hee do with there meat ae thee favorite recipes like moose au poive or anyhting like that , all the fun stops when the shot is over and game has been recovered and in my instance the wyoming knife comes out, but the purpose comes out when im slicing and marinating the tender lil strips of meat ,does anyone one have favorite recipes or anything special they make upon the successfull hunt, i always look fo new recipes or such to bring vaiety to the evening repast!!!
vixenmaster

Re: PREPARING AND COOKING GAME

Post by vixenmaster »

I seldom age my deer, i do make summer sausage put tenderloins in the freezer. We have several dishes we use it in. I can mine, i put up 12 qts. this yr i think i will put up 36 qts this yr.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
TechTed

Post by TechTed »

My favorite way to cook venison roasts, or whole hams is to cook them like a pot roast in the oven on low temperature (200 to 225) overnight - 12 to 16 hours. I season the meat a variety of different ways but most includes onions and/or garlic and black pepper, but I use other stuff as well. Served with potatoes or rice.

We use the ground venison for anything you would use ground beef for. I have our venison processed at a local meat processor so I have 3% beef fat added to the venison for flavor and cooking. Occasionally, I will have some ground venison processed into fresh sausage with pork fat. Seems like I have to doctor it up even though the processor uses sausage seasoning. Not enough sage, salt or sugar to suit my tastes.

I slice the shoulders into 1/2" cubes, vacuum seal it and use it in soups and stew.

My family's favorite is breaded and fried venison cube steak or butterflied tenderloin and gravy. A close second is jerky of course.

I have a buddy that cans his venison. It is an outstanding method of preserving venison and it is ready to use in stew at deer camp. We put a quart of canned venison, a jar of beef gravy and a can of vegall in a crock pot and let it cook for 3 or 4 hours while we hunt. When we come in we fix some microwave rice and cover it with the stew. Really takes the chill off after a late season morning or afternoon in the stand.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I have alot of recipes that I like for my venison but this is one of my favourite ways to do a roast.

Slather the roast in olive oil then salt and pepper to taste.
Heat a large heavy cast iron pan and sear the roast on all sides to brown it up nice.
Then pop the pan in the oven on around 275 and cook till medium inside.
With about 30-35 minutes left add chopped onions, garlic cloves, mushrooms, apple & pear wedges.
The fruit and veggies cook down and make a nice sauce that you put on the roast after it is sliced.

Yummy!! :mrgreen:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

for those who do not like the wild taste of deer try put some soya sauce and montreal spice .cook in a cast iron with olive oil had some rice ....voila ....
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

denisdendenis wrote:for those who do not like the wild taste of deer try put some soya sauce and montreal spice .cook in a cast iron with olive oil had some rice ....voila ....
Also, marinating with soy sauce and milk for a day or two will help tame the gamey taste, and tenderize.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

hmmm ive put venison in milk , but never soy going to try that, hee in wv they eat alot of con and such, are very muld flavored , upstae ny well they taste like pine cones very strong , going to try the soy thing to mellow them out
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Red wine vinegar works well in place of the soy too. Or both together.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

i make alot of wine , should let a few bottles get exposed to make some wine vinegar , that would be counterintuitive to the aseptic practices we use to pevent them from turning too, but looks like will be a good year fo the grapesand have quite a few apples will let a few turn , lol the best part is eating them !!!!