Fall bear hunt.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

philman

Fall bear hunt.

Post by philman »

Anyone planning an Ontario Black Bear hunt this year? My group is heading to the Englehart area to hunt for the first time opening week.... with crossbows in hand we hope to take some monsters. Anyone hunt that area for bear??Any luck?? What are the bugs like the middle of august?? Thanks.

Phil
munch

Re: Fall bear hunt.

Post by munch »

phil take a thermacell and lots of extra pads .never hunted that area but have further north archery moose and the thermacell works.i also left a message the other night on your phone did you get it munch
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Don't have solid dates yet but I have been invited to hunt bear up by North Bay this fall.
Will be using my Vortex and I am very excited for this hunt. :mrgreen:
Last edited by j.krug on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
philman

Post by philman »

Thermacell.....thanks Munch! I never got the message but I bet my daughter did and forgot to mention it.....LOL! I will give you a call tomorrow.Thanks again Bud!
j.krug wrote:Don't have solid dates yet but I have been invited to hunt bear up by North Bay this fall.
Will be using my Votex and I am very excited for this hunt. :mrgreen:

Cool man! This is my first time going up strickly for bear with archery gear and I cant flippin wait either!
FLA-XBOW

Post by FLA-XBOW »

I wish we could hunt bear in Florida , we have a BUNCH of them(almost hit two of them 2 months apart on the way to work). But good luck to you!
2011 Vortex w/ varizone
fff string
Rage 2 125 grain broadheads
firebolts w/ 3'' vanes
Nikon Archers Choice rangefinder
BLOCK fusion targets
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

The bugs are going to be bad this year and on a normal year the Misquitoes are around when the bear season is on...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
philman

Post by philman »

I have a bug suit I used while fly-fishing for salmon in Newfoundland I will pack that along with my thermacell.......Do you think bug spray (off) will spook the bear. Thanks.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

philman wrote:Thermacell.....thanks Munch! I never got the message but I bet my daughter did and forgot to mention it.....LOL! I will give you a call tomorrow.Thanks again Bud!
j.krug wrote:Don't have solid dates yet but I have been invited to hunt bear up by North Bay this fall.
Will be using my Votex and I am very excited for this hunt. :mrgreen:

Cool man! This is my first time going up strickly for bear with archery gear and I cant flippin wait either!

My first bear hunt just for me...went with my father years ago when I was in high school but we never had success.
Looking forward to trying to take one with my crossbow.
Curious about bug spray also but will probably avoid it and rely on my Thermacell...pesky skeeters!! :)
Last edited by j.krug on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Bones

Post by Bones »

Good spot for bear !! I would shy away from the spray and rely on the thermacell ,those thing's have good sniffers on them. Glassing or over bait?
Bones
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Should be an exciting hunt Phil! Them bears are hardy folk! :D I've hunted with my cousin once when he shot a bear with his vertical, good double lung shot, 2" broad head, we waited 4 hours and took up the blood trail, lots of blood to follow, found where he bedded down twice with lots of blood around and it looked like someone took a tiller to each of these spots. Bush and grass ripped out in a about a 10' circle .
When we found him he was just expiring, exciting yes, but I loved having my gun as backup! It was a small bear, about 300lbs but they are some tuff! :D
So I'm sure you will have a great hunt and I wish you bag a bigging and be safe!
P.S. I guarantee you your heart will be pounding when you pull the trigger!
We have so many bear here and when we fish the flies are horrendous, I put on bug dope with 85% deet! Doesn't seem to bother the bears out here but don't know about the area your going to hunt!
Bill
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
novacam

Post by novacam »

Not hunting in Ont. but I will be hunting bear in NS come September. Lots of blueberry land on the father in laws land which means lots of bears. The trail cams are getting lots of pics for us, no big ones yet but we do have one with a brownish color. My dad got one last year with his bow and he didn't get further than 50 yards before recovery, the rug will be done soon. Best of luck to you!!
philman

Post by philman »

novacam wrote:Not hunting in Ont. but I will be hunting bear in NS come September. Lots of blueberry land on the father in laws land which means lots of bears. The trail cams are getting lots of pics for us, no big ones yet but we do have one with a brownish color. My dad got one last year with his bow and he didn't get further than 50 yards before recovery, the rug will be done soon. Best of luck to you!!
The guys that went up last year said there were tons of blueberries around, I hope they dont get full on berries and forget to hit our bait sites! I want to shoot one with a white patch on his chest. If I do I'm getting a full mount done just cant tell the wife....... :lol: :lol:

Bcmuledeer I'm gonna bring the fly dope as a back up to my thermacell and bug suit. Might pack me a gun for back up also....Good insurance eh by'e! :D
Bones wrote:Good spot for bear !! I would shy away from the spray and rely on the thermacell ,those thing's have good sniffers on them. Glassing or over bait?
Bones
Have you hunted up that way Bones???? We have 10 active baits under 18ft ladder stands we might do a spot and stock closer to the end of the week.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I will be hunting the South River Ontario area #47 with an outfitter opening week with a buddy.

I will bring the Vortex & my new TC Omega Stainless ML. :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

good luck !!! with your hunt, do not forget your cameras hope you will post some pics
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Spoke with my brother this week about our hunt.
We still have to firm up the dates but I found out we've got a few spots to hunt in WMU 48.
A couple of the property owners said that there are so many bears there that they would like to see them thinned out a bit.
Hopefully we will be able to help them with that! :)

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads