Deer Attractants

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bentonmike

Re: Deer Attractants

Post by bentonmike »

I put my trail cams up last year and started baiting with corn, since I live 40 min from where I hunt, I couldn't always keep the corn pile fresh. There was a HUGE difference in the amount of pictures when I was using corn and when I was using attractants.
I would get 30 to 40 pictures of deer in a 24 hour period with the corn out, with the attractant, I might get that many in a week! I'm sticking with corn this year, which of course is perfectly legal in Ky.
M&M

Post by M&M »

I have wasted a lot of money trying out different scents and attractants over the years and "for me" the only thing that I can be sure will allways work is corn I have allways just poured it right on the ground and it allways works
M&M
TechTed

Post by TechTed »

Like some of the others, I have used about everything out there, DeerCaine, C'mere Deer, something Rage and probably several others. None has worked like corn mixed with molasses.

I get my shelled corn from the feed mill where they grind corn and other components for livestock feed. They will sell molasses by the gallon or mix it in feed that you have ground. (We raise beef cattle on our farm so I am familiar with the feed mills).

The mill here also can mix salt with ground feed. So you can use regular cattle sweet feed if you want, it has molasses and salt already added. Sweet feed for horses works as well. The pelleted horse or cattle feed spreads well from a rotating feeder or from a pipe feeder. It is a lot cheaper than "deer feed". If you have feed ground at the mill, you can have added what you want (you might have to locate somethings to take to the mill like alfalfa hay that can be ground with the corn, salt and molasses - this works very well too-just poured in a stump or on a rotten log so the deer have to work to get at it some). I can buy two 50# sacks of feed from the mill for what one smallish bag or bucket of the commercial attractant costs. Based on what's available in your area you can have a variety of stuff put into feed - soybeans, apples, alfalfa hay, the options are many. That is really all you are buying when you buy the commercial feed type attractants is a combination of "flavors" ground in a mill and bagged for sale. Cut out some of the middle men.

The other thing I have used very successfully is cull sweet potatoes. The growers around here have bins and bins of culls that they GIVE AWAY or sell at a loss in the fall prior to the new crop coming to their warehouses. They come in 500# to 1000# bins. I pour them on the ground.

My buddy Wade and I put nine deer in the freezer this past season using these feed combinations listed above.

WARNING -the feed from the mill (with molasses), corn and sweet potatoes will attract bears.