New trigger system

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

blackjack

Re: New trigger system

Post by blackjack »

thanks mate, & by the way how long did you subject the limbs to the 400 lb test for & which xbow did you use? best regads blackjack
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
Joystyx

Post by Joystyx »

Sounds promising but I'm not interested, even if I'm a target shooting freak. I think it's too expensive for a mod on something which is already excellent out of the box. And a little polishing does wonder on a marvelous, simple, almost indestructible system. I didn't mind spending this kind of money on a Leupold scope or in a HHA tho, but those parts greatly improved the crossbow, are easily transferable on another bow or rifle or can even be sold in 2d hand.
Last edited by Joystyx on Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 Exomax - Leupold VX-I - HHA Speed Dial
2008 Relayer Y25 #954 -VariZone - S5
A bunch of Firebolts
Shockwaves & Crimson Talons
Inter arma silent leges
Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
Boo

Post by Boo »

How much lighter are you making the lower sear?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Newtrigger

Post by Newtrigger »

blackjack wrote:
Newtrigger wrote:
blackjack wrote:A PHOTO OF IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE MATE. CAN YOU POST ONE
Here a pictureImage
Newtrigger

Post by Newtrigger »

Boo wrote:How much lighter are you making the lower sear?
I can't talk too much about the internals however it has nothing to do with making the sear lighter. The pressure on the sear is totally independent of the draw weight. The original Excalibur trigger is a lot like the 1911 trigger system where the pressure on the engagement surfaces will have a direct effect on the trigger pull.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

This much I do know, 200 clams is to much, I had a trigger job done my trigger is smoother and very little creep but most important it's so easy on the serving which is a plus meaning that the serving last longer, and this was a long ways from 200 bucks. good luck

Wes
Last edited by Limbs and Sticks on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

I also have to agree with the guys, $200.00 is to much for me. I would be father ahead to put that money into a better scope. IMHO my scope on my xbow is what's preventing me from shooting tighter groups at 40 to 50 yards. I'm new at xbows and I know it's me, not the trigger, that gives me 1 out of 3 shots that's 3" away from the group when free hand shooting!
I believe there could be a market for it, but with a rest or a competent shooter these xbows are tac drivers already. :D
Bill
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Newtrigger wrote:
I can't talk too much about the internals however it has nothing to do with making the sear lighter. The pressure on the sear is totally independent of the draw weight. The original Excalibur trigger is a lot like the 1911 trigger system where the pressure on the engagement surfaces will have a direct effect on the trigger pull.
I'm not responding in an attempt to make you look bad but I know the 1911 trigger system very well and the only thing it has in common is that it could be called simple. Primarily the Excalibur trigger system has the trigger attached directly to the lower sear and the 1911 is not.
I agree that the weight of the lower sear has nothing to do with trigger pull weight but that is not why I asked. The reason for asking is safety which of course can never take a back seat to performance character. In case you haven't guessed I know the Excalibur trigger unit very well too.
A few things you should want to inform the masses here. Do you have insurance? What does it take for the sears to disengage when the safety is off? Does it take a small bump? After bringing my Remington 700 down to 2.5 lbs I checked it for a AD by putting it in a freezer for 35 hours and then slamming the butt into the floor and slamming the bolt shut. What safety tests did you perform?
BTW, if the sear engagement angles are correct then the lower weight bows have a greater potential for an AD.
You've come to the right place for discoveries, this forum is full of guys who know the bows really well and modify their own bows.
Last edited by Boo on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boo

Post by Boo »

deleted double post
strum

Post by strum »

I have to agree with most ..my trigger is just fine ..probably far better than the operator 8)
I would never spend $200 bucks to try to improve it any more..But hey you did the right thing in asking ..you need the feedback before pulling the trigger on such an investment.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Doing my own trigger jobs I have all three (2 Excals and a compound) at 3.5. 3.5 and 3.75, works for me. Several folks here and elsewhere do 'custom' work on Excal OEMs so may be slim pickins the brand. May want to post on Parker related sites, as folks who bought the Tornado were posting about heavy pull. CB triggers are evolving quite rapidly lately, now sure if you're going to catch a need market, niche maybe.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

i am like everybody my trigger is better than i am nice and crisp and 200 would be a little to much for me.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

gendoc

Post by gendoc »

after smooth'n all 3 of my excals over the years.... i have found them to be quite nice. i don't need to worry bouta slam-fire or an inconsistant trigger break.
i'm happy with my own trigger jobs on all my triggered stuff !! :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Newtrigger

Post by Newtrigger »

Boo wrote:
Newtrigger wrote:
I'm not responding in an attempt to make you look bad but I know the 1911 trigger system very well and the only thing it has in common is that it could be called simple. Primarily the Excalibur trigger system has the trigger attached directly to the lower sear and the 1911 is not.
I agree that the weight of the lower sear has nothing to do with trigger pull weight but that is not why I asked. The reason for asking is safety which of course can never take a back seat to performance character. In case you haven't guessed I know the Excalibur trigger unit very well too.
A few things you should want to inform the masses here. Do you have insurance? What does it take for the sears to disengage when the safety is off? Does it take a small bump? After bringing my Remington 700 down to 2.5 lbs I checked it for a AD by putting it in a freezer for 35 hours and then slamming the butt into the floor and slamming the bolt shut. What safety tests did you perform?
BTW, if the sear engagement angles are correct then the lower weight bows have a greater potential for an AD.
You've come to the right place for discoveries, this forum is full of guys who know the bows really well and modify their own bows.
Thanks for your constructive comments I really appreciate it. I was kind of getting really hammered by everybody else

Firstly safety is some I take very seriously. In fact the reason I started this development was that I realized that lowering the trigger pull on a Crossbow trigger to under 2lbs is just as dangerous as it can be on a 1911. In addition as you pointed out the trigger on a Excalibur is directly linked with the sear which means there is no take up travel and the travel is very short -big AD potential. On my trigger system I can adjust the length of the take up and the amount of take up pressure. Now lets compare the two systems set up with equal trigger pull. If you dry fire an original Excalibur trigger without the string pressure the pull to release the latch is about 2-3 oz. with the string in place the best possible is 1.5lbs (24 oz.) if you dry fire my system the pull to release the latch can be set to 1.4lbs (22 oz.) with the string in place the pull is 1.5lbs. Now which system do you think is safer? the original where 90% of the trigger pull comes from the parasitic sear engagement force or my system where only 5% comes from engagement and the rest is the take up. Basically by minimizing the parasitic engagement force I can use almost the entire pull force for the take up travel and the result is a extremely safe trigger system.

And a note to everyone else that complain about the suggested price. Keep in mind that I am just guy that has developed this system on my spare time and my current thinking is to start small scale and see where it goes. I am open to suggestions on how to bring this technology to the market at more affordable cost.