first time bow hunting moose

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

littlekitch

first time bow hunting moose

Post by littlekitch »

this september i will be going on a bow moose hunt.4 of us are using excalibur crossbows.one guy has bow hunted moose before but unsuccessfully.the other two have rifle hunted them.i could ask dozens of questions as i'm researching this hard but if some of you experienced bow hunters could give me one tip that you recomend i would be extremely gratefull.KITCH
MADMAX2

Re: first time bow hunting moose

Post by MADMAX2 »

Really the only difference is the close factor keep shots 30 yds and under,we bow hunt them in tree stands in the poplars and good calling is important too good luck to you and your group.
The best things in life are not things!!
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

shoot them right in the ribs behind the front shoulder under 40 yards all good . i like the rage head D UTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Bones

Post by Bones »

What did your group apply for? Cow or Bull ? are all of you in pool 1 ? Hunting cow's and bull's is a different game, that's why Im asking what you applied for I keep a close eye on what the mnr changes for group sizes every year but we still have to wait till August to find out what we got. If you go past Hearst towards Kenora then you may have a chance at both if everyone is in pool 1. Bones
littlekitch

Post by littlekitch »

bones we are hunting the matachewan area.2 guys are in pool 1 and applied for a bull tag as first choice and a cow tag as second choice.us other two applied for a cow tag individually but don't expect to be drawn.we are hoping at least for a cow tag.KITC
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

littlekitch wrote:bones we are hunting the matachewan area.2 guys are in pool 1 and applied for a bull tag as first choice and a cow tag as second choice.us other two applied for a cow tag individually but don't expect to be drawn.we are hoping at least for a cow tag.KITC
I think that is wmu 29...in 2010 group sizes of 10+ pulled a bull tag and 2+ pulled a cow tag.

Our group applied to 18A with hopes of a bull tag with 3 in pool 1. Have to wait and see.

Good luck
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I don't have experience bow hunting moose but I think it would be an awesome trip!
Good luck to you and your group! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Hallaketrout

Post by Hallaketrout »

I am no expert, I have hunted moose a number of times over the years.
My Tips are more like mistakes not to make.
1 Shot placement is the most important. It is no fun tracking a moose for 2 miles, and then packing it out. There are only 2 places to shoot a moose and drop it in it's tracks, the heart or the neck. The neck is a bigger target.
2 Walk softly and stop every few steps while going to your stand. if you "march" to the stand any moose in hearing range will be gone. This works for deer as well. One time I had a buck come right to me, 20 yards, due to my walking pattern. Must have been curious. I didn't get him, I wasn't ready, hey thats another tip, be ready!
3 Call softly. A lot of people call too loud. don't worry, they can hear you they have big ears.
Hope that helps, Good Luck.
You are only Young Once but have the rest of your life to be Immature!

Hunting
Kayak Fishing
Fly Fishing
Trap Shooting
30-06
And now Exocet 200/Lumi-zone