gutting a deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

airborne pappy

gutting a deer

Post by airborne pappy »

where can I find a dvd on the subject.I am new to crossbow hunting and gutting
of a deer or other animal. :roll: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... e=post&f=1#
one shot scott

Re: gutting a deer

Post by one shot scott »

*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum pappy!
Nothing like being up to your elbows in guts after a successful hunt!! :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

best thing to gut a dceer in my opin ion is a good old metal wyo ming knife , opens like a zipper , minimizes chance of opening intestines , if i was there lol id give ya deer gutting 101 , did so many can do one in uynder 5 mins
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

WELCOME!! I know we had a new hunter and member of this forum you-tube it on his I phone last fall after he shot a deer.
The best things in life are not things!!
TechTed

Post by TechTed »

AP, welcome to the forum!

Dependent upon your intended outcome, you may want to consider hanging the deer from the neck rather than the hind legs. We peel the deer by using the 4 wheeler, truck or tractor to pull the hide off the deer. This eliminates a BUNCH of HAIR and speeds the process. There are numerous youtube vids on this process. It is quick and clean.

The main advantage besides reducing the hair on the meat, is IF should you puncture the bladder or intestines the contents have less likelihood of ruining meat. The waste contents do not run the full length of the deer, the waste contents tends to drop on the ground rather than on meat.

Hanging from the neck is a DISADVANTAGE if you have a trophy and plan on a full head mount.

There is nothing like the challenge of having to address your first deer cleaning without help. With that said, get a friend to show you the first couple of times.
airborne pappy

Post by airborne pappy »

thanks for the tip I whent on you tub and got all the dope on it.will let you know how I did this fall if I get lucky and get a kill. good hunting and God bless .wishing you
a good 4th of july.
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

just remember after the shot, the funs over and the work begins!!!!
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

strum

Post by strum »

Another option is to not gut at all..if i can get home quickly and its a small one ill just hang it up and skin ,take off shoulders,hind quarters..backstrap..and neck the rest goes in the garbage can and out to the dumping spot..can quarter on up this way in 20-30 mins..one of my favorite tools is my loppers..the kind you use to cut tree limbs..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

How I do it...YMMV

Field Dressing Deer

Most "strong-tasting" venison is caused by one thing, improper handling of the deer once it is dead. Most deer hunters are not aware that once the deer is dead it is no longer just a deer, but is now "meat." How that meat is handled determines whether it will be gourmet food or dog meat. Heat is the number one spoiler of meat. Therefore, it is necessary to cool the carcass quickly by immediately field dressing the deer. This is not too difficult of a task if done properly. After making sure the animal is dead you:

* TAKE YOUR TIME

* If it is as a bow kill, be cautious if you do not know where the broadhead is.

* Roll the animal onto its back.

* Starting at the sternum or breastbone, cut carefully towards the pelvis through the skin and thin wall of the body cavity. By inserting two fingers in the cut that will slide just ahead of and on each side of the knife blade, you can prevent puncturing the stomach or intestines.

* If your animal is a buck, make cuts on both sides of his spam all the way back to his anus. This will free the urine track. You may leave this attached to prevent any urinal flow that may contaminate the meat. If your animal is a doe, simply cutting away the milk glands is sufficient.

* Insert the tip of your knife next to the anus and cut completely around the anus. This will free up the end of the intestines.

* Rolling the deer onto each of it’s sides, you can then reach in to cut around the edges of the diaphragm separating it from the chest wall.

* You then cut the ribs off to the side of the breastbone by pulling up on your knife. Be careful how far you cut if you are planning on mounting your trophy.

A word of warning - NEVER pull the knife towards you. Always push the knife away from you.

* Reach up into the chest cavity and grasp the windpipe. Cut the windpipe in two ahead of where you are holding. Once the windpipe has been cut, start pulling on it towards the rear of the deer. You might have to use your knife to help free the organs as you pull.

* After pulling the organs free, turn the animal over on its belly and elevate the head if possible to allow drainage of blood.

* If the weather is warm, the deer needs to be hung in a controlled temperature cooler or butchered immediately. If the weather is cool (no more than 45øF) the deer can be hung and aged for up to a week out of the sun.

* The deer should be hung in a garage or shed to provide shade and keep the neighbor's dog away. A game bag and/or a liberal dose of pepper will help keep away flies.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
michaelrbauer

Post by michaelrbauer »

that sound exactly like the way my dad taught me 55 years ago. works well and I can do it al in 5-10 min.
Vortex, Lumiscope, 100 gr spitfires
43.11 N 88.22 W
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Get an Outdoor Edge Swingblade. Makes gutting and skinning much easier and quicker. I saw no mention of it on the instructions that came with the knife, but it makes slitting the hide on the inside of the legs a breeze. But the best part is you can "unzip" the belly in one continuous motion.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

woody is correct the quality of meat cool depends on how rapid they cool , cool deer asap i stuff them with some bags of ice regadless if it s cold outside , and just to add make sure deer is dead lol know soime had dee rjump up and had a friend almost got gored