First crossbow set-up and sighting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

new2xbow

First crossbow set-up and sighting

Post by new2xbow »

OK so i have an Axiom SMF package arriving this week (first xbow hence the username) and wanted to know. When i go to start sighting in is there a trick to at least get on target to begin with (i.e. like boresighting a rifle) so i am not sending the arrows zipping past the target?

Also exactly which scope and firebolts are coming with it? I can't find this info anywhere.
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
LongCarbine

Re: First crossbow set-up and sighting

Post by LongCarbine »

Hi. & welcome
The Axiom comes with a scope I think is made for the Axiom, The two I set up were on paper at 10 yards ,And if you follow the scopes instuctions you be in the bullseye in a couple of shots .It also comes with 4 firebolts and 4 150 grain field points . One came with a rope cocker, one didn't. If you don't get one with your kit pick one up ,they are worth they're weight in gold. Both scopes cheverons hit good out to 50 yards. DON'T SHOOT AT THE SAME SPOT TWICE WITHOUT REMOVEING YOU ARROW FIRST ,or you will be down to two arrows real fast! Have fun.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Any time you are not sure of where your crossbow (or gun for that matter) is shooting,if you shorten the distance,you will decrease the error.LongCarbine's advice to start at 10 yrds is a good idea,and I doubt that anything could be off enough to keep you off the target at that range. Once you are on "paper" then it is a simple matter to adjust the scope.
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

Thanks for the info, but when i asked about the firebolts i meant were they the carbon or aluminum and what weight are they?
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

First, pay no attention to the numbers on the scope, they are there for reference, not by any means accurate.
1st, level the scope properly, that is very important for shots beyond 20 yards.
Take a shot at the center of the target at 10 yards, if it is within 6 inches of where you aimed move back to 20 yards.
2nd, set your vertical at 20 yards, put a line on the target taller than 6" or so and shoot, pay no attention to your horizontal, just tune the scope to that line with your windage dial (right side of scope).
3rd, do the same thing with the horizontal now, put a horizontal line on the target and tune it in to that line, paying no attention to the vertical.
Now you should be inside an inch square from a shot now, at 20 yards. make sure that is true by doing multiple shots.
Once you know you are good at 20 yards move to 40. Set your scope speed dial to what you think you should be shooting, again aiming at the horizontal line (don't worry about vertical) and let one fly. If that arrow is high turn up the speed on the speed ring, if it is low, turn it down. Keep going until it is hitting the line.
You can now safely step back to 50 and try that shot again, the farther back you go in the scope checking for speed the more accurate the 30 and 40 are going to be.
Once the speed dial is set you can go back up to 30 and get a very good idea of how the set-up just went.

-Shooting from 10 is more of a precaution than anything when setting up, just to make sure the scope isn't so far off you miss your target.
-Keep an eye on your brace height, it will trick you into thinking your scope is off, this is especially important when using a new string.
I can clarify on any of this if you need..

Your arrow combination has nothing to do with the scope settings, as long as the arrows are consistent. If you switch arrows in any way you have to repeat this procedure, or what ever procedure you chose to use.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Hey Pydpiper
The Axiom scope is a fixed speed scope no need to worry about speed settings,
Cross hairs should be sighted in at 20 yards and the chevron below it is 30 yards the next chevron is 40 yards.
Fire bolts weight 266 gr with out a broadhead.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

The scopes that came with my two Axiom kits did not have speed rings they had cheverons for 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards ,some what like a tacical scope. When I had the 20 yard mark sighted in, with the supplied arrows and tips ,it was on at each cheveron. The Firebolts are carbon, I took the factory vanes off [My choice there is nothing wrong with them] With 2" blazers 125 grain tips they are around 387 grains. When you get the kit read the instructions and watch the video .They do a great job explaining it. Have fun!!!!
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

gerald strine wrote:Hey Pydpiper
The Axiom scope is a fixed speed scope no need to worry about speed settings,
Oops..
I haven't even seen one yet, Perhaps it's time to have a look.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I bought the original Axiom kit. It did not come with a rope cocker. Also, it doesn't hurt to have an extra one in case something happens to the first one. I'd highly recommend you run down and get a rope cocker. If your Axiom comes with one, then you'll have a backup. If it doesn't, you'll have a difficult time cocking the Axiom. You'll enjoyment with the Axiom will be much greater with a rope cocker! :D

I'd also suggest watching the video that comes with the Axiom and reading the instruction thoroughly. It will save you a lot of heart ache later on!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
End of the road

Post by End of the road »

One thing to remember about the scope that I learned here on the forum and not really in the instructions is to use the point on top of the chevron triangle as your point of aim distance marker and not the bottom or middle
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

According to cabelas and the description here it does come with a rope cocker.

As to the scope if it does not come with a speed adjustment then i am guessing i will need to stick with roughly 416 grain total arrow weight as it sounds like that is the weight of the arrows that come with it.

I think according to excalibur specs that will still give me about 286 FPS which I am thinking is plenty, please correct me if I am wrong.

On the note about the scope. LongCarbine did going to the lighter arrow did it make a noticable difference in the longer range chevrons being off? Basically i am asking is if i go with excaliburs 100 grain mechanicals how screwed up will i be in the range chevrons with no speed ring?

As to the DVD, already watched it online here.
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

new2xbow wrote:According to cabelas and the description here it does come with a rope cocker.

As to the scope if it does not come with a speed adjustment then i am guessing i will need to stick with roughly 416 grain total arrow weight as it sounds like that is the weight of the arrows that come with it.

I think according to excalibur specs that will still give me about 286 FPS which I am thinking is plenty, please correct me if I am wrong.

On the note about the scope. LongCarbine did going to the lighter arrow did it make a noticable difference in the longer range chevrons being off? Basically i am asking is if i go with excaliburs 100 grain mechanicals how screwed up will i be in the range chevrons with no speed ring?

As to the DVD, already watched it online here.
Shoot them and find out, you might be an 1" high at 30 an 1" low at 50 yards Get to know your bow and how it shoots .Thats what makes this so fun. Practice the inbetween shots too , so you know were a 37 or 26 yards hit .With the two I have neither shoots perfect 20-30-40-50 , but they are sooooo close it dosn't matter.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

Well my package from cabela's got to the office today, took lunch and assembled. At this point I watched the clock tick until 4 when i could head to gander mountain and get in the archery lane.

once i got there put two bolts down range at 20 yards and was hitting about 6 high and 2 left. made adjustments and the next 3 bolts circled the bull about 3/4" out (3 different bulls on a 5 dot that is). I attribute the 3/4" out to me getting accustomed to the bow.

Hopefully get to setup tommorrow to work my way out to 50 to check chevrons.

Thanks for all the tips to now, sure there will be more questions and hopefully tips to come.
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

Well here you go total of about 10 bolts last night at 20 yards, 8 today at 20 and then these 4 at 30.

How am i doing for 2 day crossbower?
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Looks like you are getting zeroed in did you get a rope cocker with it ? if not get one a.s.a.p it is the most important accessory to have it saves were and tear on your body and makes for consistent groups by eliminating uneven cocking of string.
Congrats on the bow I bet you feel like a kid at Christmass.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.