Jumping string?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Re: Jumping string?

Post by Woody Williams »

j.krug wrote:Welcome to the forum and welcome to crossbow hunting also. As long as you have a shot within a reasonable range and it's a good clear shot you have no worries. They are more likely to jump at the shock of the arrow passing through them than to jump the string. :) :wink:

Ditto...

"Jumping the string" is way over rated..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Until our arrows reach the speed of sound deer will sometimes jump the string it is good to keep your bow as quiet as possible and try and make sure deer are not alert when you shoot, and yes they will still hear it even when it is quiet but if it sounds like a 747 coming in they will sure be more likely to jump the string and i have had deer jump the string at 20 yards shooting 300fps although it will not happen often.
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

rufus,
i bet that deer came in with knees bent, ears straight up & do'n 360's, tail straight down and was not even breath'n.... :lol:
he musta knew sumthin was'nt quite right :wink:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Both times it happened to me it was young bucks coming in to a grunt call. One i hit high the other i shot over and the bow is right on at 20 yards i know i did not pull the shot. And you could see them drop down before running.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

String jumping is just an excuse for missing. Stop using it. :lol:

We did some math a while back here on the forum and it doesn't seem possible for a deer to jump a string at less than 35 yards if you are shooting an arrow at over 300 FPS.

However, it is possible for a deer to move just before or during the shot . . .without ever hearing the string. Just part of hunting, a deer can do that when you have a rifle in your hands too.

There was an article in Field and Stream a year or so ago that reached the same conclusions about string jumping. I sent the article to a friend of mine that swore a deer jumped his string at 20 yards. He hasn't mentioned string jumping since.

A projectile does not have to travel faster than the speed of sound to prevent string jumping. It just has to travel faster than a deer's reaction time. Which isn't much at short yardages.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
masboy

Post by masboy »

I always have sited my bow in on the ground and shot from tree stands when practicing and always shot about the same place but every deer I shot I almost always hit high . So yeRs ago I started aiming for the heart and problem solved works for me.