Axiom brace hieght and string break in

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

new2xbow

Axiom brace hieght and string break in

Post by new2xbow »

Is there a specific brace hieght for the Axiom? It does not have any markings on the rail.

Also, how many shots till you woulf feel the dacron excel string is "broken in"?

The reason i am asking these things is i plan to carry a spare string with me to the stand (I have heard a few stories of ruined hunting trips due to broadhead vs. string during loading) and want to have them generally equal. and that brings up last question, does it really matter on break-in? will a new string behave that differently than one that has 40 or 50 shots that it would throw off my zero if i do have to change in the field?

Update so far on my experience wih the axiom, being a newbie to crossbows i don't have anything to compare to but I LOVE IT!!! ordered 2 sets of x-act mech yesterday (heard they and hit very much like the 150 grain field points) and am getting ready to order a spare string and S5 system.

I have succesfully made a stringing aid using the 550 paracord and utilizing shrink tube for serving, first try the end loops weren't quite large enough to work through easily so made a second one with way oversized loops that a blind mind could thread through.

I am thinking once i have my first deer with crossbow i can change my name hehe.

Thanks for all the help so far!
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
OkXbowHunter

Re: Axiom brace hieght and string break in

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Hi Tony

Look on the rail where the string crosses. Somewhere down there you'll see two parallel lines. Your string should be resting between those two lines. I like to keep mine from the middle point between those lines all the way to the upper line (the one closest to the trigger).

As for breakin' in a new string, first off, I would should the Excal Flemish Fast Flight string. You're bow will shoot faster. The string I carry for a backup is one of my old ones. I carry it in a ziplock back in my backpack with the ends tied together with a bread tie so it won't come untwisted. When I install it, I won't have to guess where the brace height is. It will be right in the middle of those two lines just like it was when I took it off!

Congrats on the SMF, I bought my Axiom last year and it's proven to be a killa'! :twisted:
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

That is the issue i am having, it doesn't have the 2 lines anywhere. I plan to switch to the flemish once i have more experience. (following boo's theory that at some point in the first year there is a higher chance of an accidental dry fire)

Thanks
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
strum

Post by strum »

my lines measure 5/8" from the end of the rail and 1 3/8" to the next one. just a guess but you string probly is higher than the highest line so let it stretch in and try to keep it at around 1 1/8" which is where you need it if you use the S5. as far as the breaking in question..shoot yours till it stops moving then use it for your spare as its (broke in)
also when your comfortable with where you like it ..put your self a small mark on the side of the rail..then youll be able to see if it moves and when putting on a spare in the field youll know where to twist it up to.
Boo has some great info about this on his site.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
wabi

Post by wabi »

Don't have an Axiom, but every Excalibur I've owned liked a brace height of 1 1/8" measured from the junction of the riser & rail.
Less will give a little more velocity, but 1 1/8" seems to be the "sweet spot" for noise/vibration vs velocity.

Fortunately, my thumb just happens to be 1 1/8" wide, so it's easy to measure brace height for me. :lol: :lol:
wabi