looking for deer feeding opinions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

simplykaotic

looking for deer feeding opinions

Post by simplykaotic »

Hi all,

Coming off my first year of hunting was wonderful. With all the help from this forum, and from other very helpful hunters along the way, I've managed to get a deer (doe) and a turkey (jake) in my first year of hunting. Thanks everyone!

Now my question to all of you would be, when do you start laying down bait/feed/food/anything you want to call it... When is too early?

Also, from your experience, what works best? I know that location can be a factor, I'm hunting in WMU 66, about 1 hour east of Ottawa in the Maxville area.

Thanks for all the help
one shot scott

Re: looking for deer feeding opinions

Post by one shot scott »

you want them to develop a pattern. How soon depends on how thick your wallet is :lol:

What works best depends on what natural food source you have nearby. If you have standing corn I wouldnt put down down the hard as a rock feed corn you can buy. Give them something different. something they will only get from your pile. Carrots, apples etc. I have had some success with apples and they wouldnt go near the carrots but for the most part results can vary from property to property.

Dont put out too much either. get a auto feeder if you can. If the pile is huge then they know they can get fed anytime they like which turns out to be at night most often. If the pile is small then they have to come during daylight to get a meal because of compitition.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
wayne

Post by wayne »

HELLO: Potatoes, butter, onions.......Oh sorry, your talking deer food, not food with deer (season getting near & I had a brainfart) :lol: We always did best when we baited, with corn with alittle cattle grade molasses, mango's, carrots.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

i already started to feed them ... i mix a big bag of whole corn and a bag of deer chow, it crush corn with molasses ,and some time i put apples and i got a big block of red salt . Stott is right , is to start a pattern. Good luck ...have some fun and be safe.
Denis
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount