Never say "Never"

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MarkMarine

Never say "Never"

Post by MarkMarine »

"Sometimes you feel like a nut - sometimes you don't!" Well today I did lol With nigh on a month until opening season here in Missouri, I broke out the Exomag and strung it. I took time to check all the screws to ensure they were tight. Grabbed my arrows, rangefinder, and out on the porch I went.

I drug the Block crossbow target out of the barn and ranged it at 30 yards from the porch. Gave everything the once-over and then cocked the bad boy. I used the porch rail as my rest for the first few shots just to make sure I had no flier surprises.

"Sight picture - Sight alignment," were the words I whispered as I squeezed the trigger.

Sure enough, the bow seem to be dead on.

Feeling excited, I stood offhand and fired 2 shots. They were almost touching. At 30 yards with open sights I was very pleased. BUT, I needed to put the 3rd arrow right beside the two in order to really feel cocky!

"Sight picture - Sight alignment," I voiced over and over again as I cocked the bow.

"Sight picture - Sight alignment," I kept whispering as I leveled the bow at the target.

"Sight picture - Sight alignment," as the green dot of the front sight figure-8'd on target.

"Sight picture - Sight alignment," as I squeeeeeeeeeeeeeezed....

!!!!!!! T W A N G !!!!!!!

I did not see my arrow fly downrange, but I did have the pleasure of feeling the fingers on my left hand for the first time since it was replanted! With the infamous "Oh chit!" jaw-dropping surprise look on my face, I stood dumbstruck that the string was off my limbs (I saw the FFF string coiled up like a snake about 5 feet away).

"What in the flaming...?"

My next thought was I hoped my arrow did not whiz off-target and stick into one of my neighbors homes (I looked but could not see nary a shaft).

Then, lo & behold, I looked on the rail beside me and saw it laying where I had set it when I pulled it from the target. Good god! I was so wrapped up with
"Sight picture - Sight alignment" that I completely overlooked loading a bolt!

The ONLY thing I shot was my fingers and the only projectile was the string that was literally shocked off the magtip limbs. I did not care about the fingers so much as I did the limbs - the pain would pass...but if I messed up the bow, that would remain long after the embarrassment wore off.

I got the de-stringer and after checking the limbs, string and dissipater pads (which all survived somehow) I restrung the bow. This time, to H.E. double dogLeg with
"Sight picture - Sight alignment," I was only reminding myself, "DON'T forget the arrow!" I shot the bow with no nasty surprises and, amazingly, the bow was dead on!

Try THAT dry-fire action with a compound crossbow and you will be playing George Jetson digging Spacely Sprockets up out of the yard. Excalibur is amazingly constructed...almost foolproof (sayeth today's fool).

Oh, and for all the times I have read and then said, "How in the world could anyone dry-fire a crossbow?" I will never again question anyone :)
georgiaboy

Re: Never say "Never"

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to team dry fire my friend!!!! :mrgreen:
Glad to hear the only thing hurt is pride!! :!: :lol: :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Check the limbs for splinters when it's fully cocked. Use a cotton ball.

Glad you made it out alive . . . :lol: I know that sound way too well.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
strum

Post by strum »

I was thinking you dummy..lol not realy i done it twice in one evening.. :( .welcome to the club and thats a great story. i think it could help sell some bows..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

You've passed the initiation and now join so many of the best of us as a proud member of the DryFire Club! WELCOME! :D

There's a saying that goes something like: There are 3 kinds of xbowers - those that have dryfired, those that will, and those that lie about it. :)

Glad all is well and now that you've got that out of the way you can go back to happily shooting your bow. :)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

Thas why i am sticking with boo's advice of having time under belt before going to flemish. I am sure it's going to happen at some point. Although with his schedule i am thinking i may need to order a couple now for spring turkey in may.
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

I still remember my initiation into the club. The experience will never be forgotten...........

Welcome to the team.
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Welcome to the club. I am in thatclub, plus I am still one higher, forgot to take one hook of cocking rope off the string. All I can say is tons of blood and still use the broken plastic handle on the cocking rope that smashed on my baby finger! LOL
Last edited by wheelie on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

wheelie wrote:Welcome to the club. I am in that plus I am still one higher, forgot to take one hook of cocking rope off the string. All I can say is tons of blood and still use the broken plastic handle on the cocking rope that smashed on my baby finger! LOL
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

new2xbow wrote:
wheelie wrote:Welcome to the club. I am in that plus I am still one higher, forgot to take one hook of cocking rope off the string. All I can say is tons of blood and still use the broken plastic handle on the cocking rope that smashed on my baby finger! LOL
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never do I hang cocking rope around my neck no more. I drop it on the ground. LOL
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I launched my thumb once with my 165 # Exocet :shock: I can not imagine tingling my fingers with 225 # :shock: :shock: :!:
vh64

Post by vh64 »

I'm saving my first dry fire for when I'm shooting at a deer....that's how my luck always seems to go. That's why my beautiful wife always tells me I'm Special!!!!!
Love my VORTEX !!!!!
Dash

Post by Dash »

Its easy to think been distracted or not paying attention is what leads to a dryfire. But sometimes being over focused on one thing can do it too. I too was lucky when it happened to me. No damage.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Glad you and your bow are okay!!
Twas a big surprise I'm sure. :shock: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

GLAD ta hear i'm not in that club alone, it's nice to have company, when you're feeling bad. :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:

see ya in the woods!!
papa bear1
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings