Screw-in tree steps and me

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Re: Screw-in tree steps and me

Post by wabi »

Tried pre-drilling for hand installation, and tried the tool that goes in a cordless drill.
Both work, but lugging a cordless drill along isn't very handy. :roll:

Thought about the tool that is like an extension handle, but decided a "stick ladder" was more practical than screw-in steps, anyway.

As I get older I use a ladder stand most frequently. I have a "brush ladder" (ladder stand review link - http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/94506/l ... eviews.htm ) stand that is lightweight (compared to lugging in a hang-on & ladder sticks), but it's not very comfortable.

I'll stick to my 2-man ladder stand for 99% of my tree stand hunting. Put it in a good location, leave it there, and it's always ready & comfortable. :lol:

For other locations a ground blind is easy to pack in and works well in most situations.
wabi
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

wabi wrote:Both work, but lugging a cordless drill along isn't very handy. :roll:
True enough Wabi but it just may be the push needed to have all the major brands producing powertools in all the popular camo patterns!! Could it get any better?? :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Q10

Post by Q10 »

I have been fighting with the screw in steps for long enough...and last year developed a pretty good system to install them.

-Pre drill holes with cordless drill
-start the screw in steps by hand and tighten as far as you can comfortably
-use a rubber mallet hammer to help get the last "few" turns into the tree so the step is safely and tightly against the tree. The rubber mallet is quiet and only makes a soft "thud". Make sure you don't miss the step when hammering though...I busted the mallet off the handle last weekend...and those mallet hammers are not cheap!

I normally setup my treestands in July/August once the bugs are gone. When I set them up this early I bring an extension ladder with me to help drill and hammer the steps in. I find it easier and safer this way.

If I am hanging a stand in season or close to it I won't bring the extension ladder...too noisy. I will use my harness and belt and stand on already installed steps while drilling and screwing the higher holes. Put your harness and belt on...it is safer and also easier because but you can then use both hands to help speed things up.

Hope this helps.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

j.krug wrote:
wabi wrote:Both work, but lugging a cordless drill along isn't very handy. :roll:
True enough Wabi but it just may be the push needed to have all the major brands producing powertools in all the popular camo patterns!! Could it get any better?? :lol: :lol:
Great, more camo gadgets for me to lose on the forest floor :roll: ! Ingenious marketing! :lol:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Q10 wrote:I have been fighting with the screw in steps for long enough...and last year developed a pretty good system to install them.

-Pre drill holes with cordless drill
-start the screw in steps by hand and tighten as far as you can comfortably
-use a rubber mallet hammer to help get the last "few" turns into the tree so the step is safely and tightly against the tree. The rubber mallet is quiet and only makes a soft "thud". Make sure you don't miss the step when hammering though...I busted the mallet off the handle last weekend...and those mallet hammers are not cheap!

I normally setup my treestands in July/August once the bugs are gone. When I set them up this early I bring an extension ladder with me to help drill and hammer the steps in. I find it easier and safer this way.

If I am hanging a stand in season or close to it I won't bring the extension ladder...too noisy. I will use my harness and belt and stand on already installed steps while drilling and screwing the higher holes. Put your harness and belt on...it is safer and also easier because but you can then use both hands to help speed things up.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Q10. That confirms I'm not out to lunch as its pretty much what I do now. Instead of a rubber mallet, I've been using a commercially-made tree step wrench, but it sucks and is probably the reason why its been off the market for years. I think I'll try the mallet :D .
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Coming soon at store near you, everything one needs all in one package, from putting up ground blinds to two man ladder stands and everything in between, only weighs 350lbs, hunters tool box on wheels, drag, push, pull to your favorite :mrgreen: if one bought everything the experts say you need to hunt I think you would need a semi to put it in, I've found keep it plain and simple, you'll have more fun instead of more work.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:Coming soon at store near you, everything one needs all in one package, from putting up ground blinds to two man ladder stands and everything in between, only weighs 350lbs, hunters tool box on wheels, drag, push, pull to your favorite :mrgreen: if one bought everything the experts say you need to hunt I think you would need a semi to put it in, I've found keep it plain and simple, you'll have more fun instead of more work.

Wes
LOL! So true :lol:

I'm a bare-bones kinda guy when hunting, but when I set aside my day to hang stands, its truly a spectacle :roll:
strum

Post by strum »

so true Wes..i was thinking just for the clothes they say you need i would need to spend 600 to 1000 bucks right off the bat ..and if i did all the steps to descent my self..(wash clothes use dryer sheets,spray myself down put cothes in special scent bag chew scent gum on and on) i would need 6 hours head start just to get dressed :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

agingcrossbower wrote:.....................................................................
http://bearclawtreesteps.com/purchase%20bearclaws.html

I can screw the lag in and when I come to hunt just slip the step on and up I go. Waiting on top would be a chain on hook set up before hand to slip the stand on. Have three or four in your best spots and nobody would see the lags or the chain way up there. I think I like it. :)

They look like a good product. I like the idea of leaving the lag bolts in place and hanging a step on the bolt whenever you want to use the steps. They are viciously expensive, though. The manufacturer's website list them for retail at about $17.00 per step!
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.