updated/surprised by the game cam pics

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

updated/surprised by the game cam pics

Post by wabi »

Started filling the feeder a couple weeks ago and the critters must have been waiting. Usually takes a few weeks for them to hit it hard, but this year they are already eating about 25# of corn daily! That amounts to $5./day at corn prices this year, so I put the camera out yesterday to see who had expensive tastes. :lol:

I figured coons were getting most of it, but I stopped by and pulled the card this morning to be sure. I was surprised to find out that most of the pics were deer!
114 pics -
5 - squirrel
10 - coon
25 - coon & deer
70- deer
4 - blank

this pair were there for almost 20 minutes

deer/coon sharing the feast

morning visit

No bucks yet, but with the number of deer pics I guess I'll keep buying corn (until the freezer is full - about 4 weeks 'till season). :shock:
Last edited by wabi on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
wabi
j.krug

Re: surprised by the game cam pics

Post by j.krug »

That's gonna make yer wallet a little lighter but at least you know now it's mostly deer making the corn disappear. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

nice pics , corn fed deer will taste better :D :lol: it the fun part of hunthing
thanks for sharing
Denis
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

I know how you feel man i'm paying $9.37 for 50# and i'm feeding,coon's,crow's turkeys, and a lot of doe's w/fawn's. But i got 1 nice 8pt. coming in so i guess, i'll get in my wife's piggy bank and buy more corn!! 8) 8) . I mean what the hell there is nothing better than corn fed young doe!!~!!!!!. got to love it. :lol: :lol: . man...

see ya in the woods :roll: :roll:

papa bear1 :wink: :wink:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
wabi

Re: updated/surprised by the game cam pics

Post by wabi »

Checked the cam this morning to get a full 24hr view of the critters.
One doe & twin fawns were eating at the feeder for 26 minutes yesterday evening and were back for 50 minutes this morning. :shock:
Also visited by turkeys, crows, coons, squirrels, and songbirds over the course of the day.

wabi
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

With corn prices a feeder with a timer is the way to go
mine is set for 3 seconds in the morning and 5 in the evening and a 50 lb. bag will last 3 to 4 weeks.
I will turn it up when the season opens.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

At that rate of feeding those deer are going to put some weight on quick! I think you will be dressing one out on opening day :wink:
Why ride when you can walk!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Tar Heel wrote:With corn prices a feeder with a timer is the way to go
mine is set for 3 seconds in the morning and 5 in the evening and a 50 lb. bag will last 3 to 4 weeks.

Tar Heel

Thinking about it, but my past experiences with battery powered feeders hasn't been good. :( I've never had one last a full season yet. Either the thing is clogged or the motor burns up. :roll:

groundpounder wrote:At that rate of feeding those deer are going to put some weight on quick! I think you will be dressing one out on opening day
If those fawns loose their spots one of them would be tempting for some fresh, tender meat. :lol:
With a 1 buck - 5 doe limit here I'm not too good to put a young one down for the freezer. Their chance of survival is lower anyway, and steaks you can cut with a fork sure taste good. :roll: :oops:
Last edited by wabi on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
wabi
deerhunter0430

Post by deerhunter0430 »

i could never shot a doe with young ones, I fell its like killing all of them ...
2010 equinox,groundpounder,boo string.S5,100 gr grim reapers
wabi

Post by wabi »

deerhunter0430 wrote:i could never shot a doe with young ones, I fell its like killing all of them ...
I was actually thinking of taking one of the "weanlings" if they are big enough by the opener.

I realize it's not something everyone is in favor of, but in reality the season dates are set with the deer's survival in mind. By opening day most of the fawns are old enough to survive on their own.

As far as taking a fawn (weanling sounds like a much better description, picked that term up in a magazine article in favor of selectively removing young ones) if they are old/big enough to use for meat you can bet it will be tender. Their chances of survival in a hard winter are much lower than the older deer's chances. It sounds harsh & cruel to many people, but nature's plan is geared toward the healthy breeding population to have the highest survival chances - if the young ones die (not established "breeders") the mothers & fathers (established "breeders") can make more. :roll:
I don't take many young ones, but I have in the past and probably will do it again. I really prefer a "yearling" (one that is 1½ years old on the opener) for the freezer, but if there are plenty of "weanlings" available it probably doesn't hurt the overall health of the local population to reduce the population by one.

Might make an interesting thread to do a poll on whether members would take one, or not.
wabi
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

even though fawns, yearling or weenies are still with mom at years end they are more then ready to be on there own if mom dies during hunting....most likely they will group with other yearling and another mom.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

wabi wrote:
Tar Heel wrote:With corn prices a feeder with a timer is the way to go

Tar Heel

Thinking about it, but my past experiences with battery powered feeders hasn't been good. :( I've never had one last a full season yet. Either the thing is clogged or the motor burns up. :roll:

Wabi I use a Cabelas dusk and dawn feeder motor about $30.00 and get my own barrel a squirrel cage of rabbit wire
a 6volt energizer will last all season. I sift my corn through old fan guard and pick out the stems and larger pieces. Walmart has the cleanest corn with less dust. Some of my motors are over 5 years old.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain